Author Topic: Car Genie & Fuel Consumption  (Read 1053 times)

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Car Genie & Fuel Consumption
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:57:52 PM »
@WillPower - Electrics or Engine/Transmission... sorry couldn't decide which  >:D

So, anyone have any insight or shared experience with the Car Genie and how it works out fuel consumption. I'm getting really inconsistent and frankly unbelievable stats. For instance, a quick trip the other night to a Chip Shop just over 3 miles away on relatively unbusy roads took two and a half times more fuel (8l) than an average & regular trip of ~45 miles on motorway then ~10 miles on major roads in central London (3l). Same trip back took a quarter of the same average long trip.

FWIW I stopped doing Fuelly as 1. I couldn't be bothered as 2. the built in average consumption had proven to be pretty accurate. Wouldn't the built in feed fuel consumption to Car Genie or would you reckon it's guestimating? Evidently it thought I was doing donuts  O0 in the car park on the way to the chippy...

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Car Genie & Fuel Consumption
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »
Mine is "usually" accurate but occasionally will spit out nonsense. So I drove to work...it's normally 9 miles. Despite the GPS trace being normal it said I'd covered 27 miles..at an average speed of 105.5 mph..but only used .8 of a litre of fuel (probably correct for the actual distance).

I imagine it gets it's figures from the car but they occasionally get fudged in transmission. They have their own SIM card which transmits back to the AA then you access that info on your phone and to me it seems that occasionally it'll have poor signal or something like that and produce ridiculous figures.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:47 PM »
Despite the GPS trace being normal it said I'd covered 27 miles..at an average speed of 105.5 mph..

Ditto >:D "Usually" accurate, I'd like to believe, but occasionally nonsense. Might be a while before I go to the AA looking for an insurance reduction then... but in the meantime still amused by the competition with my other half for a better score  O0

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:04:22 AM »
BTW, 34.8 > 40.5  8)

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 07:34:17 AM »
I'm not entirely sure how the box works, I assume there's an accelerometer rather than it just using the cars own info. I assume this because it doesn't show "harsh acceleration" on mine when I travel up a local hill that lets you have about 10-15 seconds of foot to the  floor in my car without it getting annoyed. It clearly uses a lot of fuel if you do that but the actual acceleration rate is held back by the hill. But if you need to pull out a junction sharply to nip into a gap in traffic that usually annoys it.

My acceleration score is usually my undoing though normally mid 60s..I find the braking one odd in that I've done a full emergency stop and not registered an event.

My 7 day average is currently 78...I imagine you'll be doing better given I used to be mid 80s until I changed jobs for one that has me commuting at normal times

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 05:13:17 PM »
Still got this hooked up, not that I want to monitor fuel consumption at the moment...I've changed jobs to a 9-5 and same commute is now getting 33mpg..ouch. Well it would hurt but part of the reason it's so poor is little weekend work over distance so a tank still lasts a longer amount of time if not miles.

Anyway reason I'm actually posting, my Car genie actually did something last night. Got a text message at 4:46am telling me my battery was low and should drive for at least 30 mins. So today off we went on a family trip including a nice motorway schlep. Parked up and it's now happy with the battery again, given it's been used for 20 odd minute trips relentlessly in traffic with all lights and demist on for weeks not a surprise but nice it worked as it should.

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 07:06:41 PM »
Does anyone know why the website has this large banner at the top:
We're not currently offering new Car Genie subscriptions to existing Members.

To be clear I was just curious - not thinking of paying the AA £29 pa to record my every move.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »
Does anyone know why the website has this large banner at the top:
We're not currently offering new Car Genie subscriptions to existing Members.

To be clear I was just curious - not thinking of paying the AA £29 pa to record my every move.

If you mean this website, the forum, then we do not have any advertising.  I suggest what you are seeing is a result of a Pop up virus infection on your machine.   Sorry.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 08:10:14 PM »
Think he's referring to the AA website.

No idea tbf...my understanding of it is that it's the AAs first shot at moving beyond traditional breakdown cover and market of the over 50s. It may be the experiment has ended or that they are pursuing a different route going forward.

Never actually paid anything for mine or my Breakdown cover for that matter but there are some advantages to the AA tracking your every move. They've been used to recover stolen cars for a start and also disprove fraudulent insurance claims. Quite good fun to be able to see what a garage is up to when they have your car as well...

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 08:10:14 PM »