Author Topic: Traffic Alerts  (Read 244 times)

Offline Speedwell

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2018
Traffic Alerts
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:51:09 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble receiving radio traffic alerts?

Although the menu shows the TA system is "on" I do not receive any broadcasts.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Year: 2015
Re: Traffic Alerts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble receiving radio traffic alerts?

Although the menu shows the TA system is "on" I do not receive any broadcasts.

Going to be honest; the first radio that had the Traffic Alerts thing on it I got back in 1993. Tried really hard but never got that working, nor has any system that I had since; thought to be fair I never really bothered trying too hard. The one in the 3's no different. Not much help O0 sorry. I'm guessing you've had better mileage over the years, just not in the 3?

If you've got an Android phone however.... http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=15065.0

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
I used to have the 'TA' function on my old mid 90s Micra and barely used it back then.  I've never bothered on my gen1 mazda3 (I presume it has it - never looked really) for the same reason 9swampy hasn't - a smartphone or dedicated satnav will be far more up-to-date and useful, though not brilliant - I found that Google Maps' traffic info seems only to depend on other Google Maps users, which if there aren't any in the area or haven't been for more than a few minutes means that traffic info could be seriously out-of-date.

I wonder if the dedicated 'branded' satnav apps and systems pay to use eachother's data for a bigger pool of information - I actually have found that my 'old' Nokia 620 using Here Maps was often more accurate at describing traffic jams/problems than Google Maps was on my (then) expensive Android work phone.

Given that the BBC has scaled back its Travel News operations (including closing its very good Travel News map page site), it may be that the TA services are not so good even compared to what they were in their heyday in the 1990s and early 2000s.  I suppose it does (assuming it still works) come for free for those of us who use PAYG mobiles and not contract phones.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:37:35 AM »
I wonder if the dedicated 'branded' satnav apps and systems pay to use eachother's data for a bigger pool of information - I actually have found that my 'old' Nokia 620 using Here Maps was often more accurate at describing traffic jams/problems than Google Maps was on my (then) expensive Android work phone.

Mazda's Connected Services things on my 3 has a "Here Maps" logo.  O0

...haven't got it to work though. New phone made it possible but I've missed out on the 3 year window I believe...

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:37:35 AM »