Author Topic: Are Mazdas made from cheap metal!  (Read 4086 times)

Offline dmcd808

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Are Mazdas made from cheap metal!
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »
As I own a Mazda 3 and an Audi A3 previous to that, the metal and quality is considerably different.

There was an issue with Kobe steel a few years ago where they were investigated for using inferior steel

Or maybe they are just not as built well to their German counterparts hence the price

Let me know

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Are Mazdas made from cheap metal!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
I would say yes..you pay less, you get a competitive car with more equipment than class average but the cheapness will come from some where.

My 7 year old car is probably showing more surface corrosion on the underside than if I'd paid 10k more for the equivalent Audi. I feel as though a level of perspective is required, it's an A3 sized car for the price of an A1. It's also generally far more reliable than an Audi (not my opinion JD powers) so do you want to pay Audi money for a similar level of build? or accept it's cheap so it won't last 20 years, but may well last 12-15 without difficulty and provide faithful service until rust kills it.

Then again..I see plenty of sub 10 year old Audi and VWs with rot..so who knows?

Offline dmcd808

• S Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 04:50:29 PM »
I know the Mazda 3 has a 5 star crash safety rating however the German cars feel allot tougher.

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »
I know the Mazda 3 has a 5 star crash safety rating however the German cars feel allot tougher.

Probably because Audis (not sure if all are or just the upper models) are made from aluminium, which is softer, but much lighter than steel, sotheir cars have a thicker outer body shell.  Aluminium does corrode (aluminium oxide), but not as much as steel does under the same conditions, and its less obvious when it does.

The NCAP rating takes into account way for than 'how strong' the bodyshell is, and as someone (I forget who) said once, Japanese cars are designed to be 'enough' as fit and finish, trim quality, panel thickness, etc, but do more on the engineering (oily bits and electricals) because they are the parts that wear out the quickest and have far more of an impact of the car's operation, including safety.  The likes of Toyota and Honda feel their cars should be even more robust, but that's why you pay more for them compared to Mazdas.

Its always a compromise of sorts, even if money is no object, because car companies want to sell you a new car every few years (¬£¬£¬£Profits) - no one every 25 that is faultless throughout.  German brands have increasingly gone for styling, interior plushness, fancy/complex electronic gizmos/systems and performance, and in my opinion, to the detriment of engineering quality and simplicity.  That's why so many supposedly 'premium' marques and cars are regularly rated bottom in terms of reliability.  Its also noticeable that many of those brands don't do well on post-sales customer service either.

Saying that, I think Mazda needs to improve far more than they have of late on that score, as they are consistently well behind Toyota and Honda, and soon Hyundai/KIA as well, and are only doing ok because their petrol-engined cars are generally well-regarded for reliability, as much as their range in general is higly regarded for great handling and stylish cars at a reasonable price.  Should any major problems arise on the forthcoming petrol HCCI engines, this could be a major problem for Mazda, given the significant issues they've experienced with unreliable diesel engines, even if some (the 1.6/1.5 PSA-Ford derived unit - not sure who designed/makes the 2.2TD for them) are bought in.  Nissan's reputation on the engineering quality side has, in my view, suffered greatly since their tie-up with Renault - given Mazda isn't a large car firm compared to their main rivals, they need to be very careful about both reliability and customer care.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:57:05 AM »
I think the diesels do suffer in comparison to the petrols on the 3. The 1.6d has the same faults in all cars it's fitted too and is not "that" unreliable. But you've got about a 0.1% chance of suffering a power train fault on a petrol one so in a forum context they look terrible. When we had the DS3 the 1.6d (same engine different car) was the reliable one, the thp petrols were the ones to avoid despite the 1.6d being as reliable as it is in a 3.

The 2.2d and 1.6 are no worse than any other modern diesel, they just suffer in the comparison to the pretty much absolutely reliable petrol cars. Whereas in other manufacturers who went downsized turbo with direct injection both sides are similarly reliable.

I'm waiting for the HCCI with interest, got a new job so fancy a new car but torn between picking up a late gen 3 after the model change for a discount or maybe the new one. May lease a gen 4 so if it's a dog its not my problem.

Offline Kentish

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 06:10:20 AM »
I would say the thickness or rigidity of the panels on my 3 Sport Nav is less than that was on my 03 Skoda Superb, which after 14.5 yrs of ownership still looked as good as when I first got it.
However, I would say that whilst the German marques may have more rigid body panels, they have issues under the skin. The VW group has issues with the cam chains stretching on the TFSI engines, regardless of service regime, and as issues with wiring loom breakage due to reducing cable thickness.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 06:10:20 AM »