Author Topic: Hello and about to buy ...  (Read 151 times)

Offline spacedmonkeys

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Hello and about to buy ...
« on: August 09, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
Pretty much decided on a Mazda 3 going from a Leon FR Tdi which is now costing me more to repair than it's worth... Going to look at one on Satuday... Aware of the risk with the timing chain on the 2.2d engine. But anything else I should be looking out for?

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Hello and about to buy ...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
There was a recall on the Skyactiv 2.2s world wide so make sure it has been carried out. Also make sure servicing has been done on time with the correct oil. Not only does it help the timing chain situation but if the oil strainer in the sump gets blocked it's thank you and good night. Personally I would avoid low mileage cars, as the dpf is more likely to be an issue.

Finally make sure you do the miles for it to be worth it/to keep the dpf happy, petrol skyactiv G cars do 40+ mpg and are mechanically more robust (also the 120s can be remapped to 170bhp). Unless you do over 15k a year or tow a caravan you may well find the ownership costs are actually very similar indeed.

I'm assuming you are looking at the latest generation cars? If not much of the same applies but the older 2.0 petrol does like a significant drink.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:55:08 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline spacedmonkeys

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
Ah yes I seem to have neglected saying which I will be buying. Unfortunately I need a quick purchase and have limited funds (5k). Should've mentioned that  ::)
 I am doing about 15000 miles per year, commute is mostly fast dual carriageway, 20 miles each way.  I've looked and looked for something that is going to be reliable but also have a bit of grunt (I'm coming from a remapped 200bhp Leon FR). The FR has it's own issues with DPF which I am used to so those problems don't concern me.
So I've pretty much decided on the 2.2 2009 Mazda 3. The only thing worrying me is how common this chain stretch issue is, whether it affects 'all' of the engines or just certain few ie it's not a case of "if" it will happen but "when". The car I'm looking at has full Mazda history. The alternatives are the 1.6 which has it's own issues?

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »
Problems seem to be more common place in other Mazda models (perhaps they work harder in the bigger models.)

A clean service history is promising, and of the 2 engines available the 2.2 is the reliable one. Chain issues seem to be unlucky rather than guaranteed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:39:20 PM by StevenRB45 »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »