Author Topic: Mazda3 2004 - 2009 Front Fog Lamp  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Mazda3 2004 - 2009 Front Fog Lamp
« on: August 06, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »
My front left fog lamp's (this type:  https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda3/2003-06/safety-protection-/BP4KV7220G/ ) lens has been cracked (but not broken up) by an errant stone clip - nothing else wrong with it, so is it possible just to change the clear lens and not have to spend £200 having an entire new unit fitted (even the unit itself costs £130+)?

If so, where can I source a decent quality (not cheapo, poor quality Chinese knock-off) lens (assuming it would be far cheaper than having to buy the whole light unit), and how would I go about fitting it?  I've tried Ebay and via a Google search and come up short so far - some online stores appear to have the whole assembly (which I don't want as I don't particularly want to try and fit that, especially if I have to take the bumper off or need it on jacks to access the underside to fit it) although I'm not sure if its the correct one as the codes don't match those on the Mazda UK website, others are just as expensive as that sold via Mazda or are 'not genuine'.

If I just left it as is or (somehow) used some kind of glue/sealant to shore up the (large) crack, is it going to be an issue come MOT time?  Many thanks for any assistance provided.

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
  • I guess I should update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.4L
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2008
Re: Mazda3 2004 - 2009 Front Fog Lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:18:08 PM »
The last one I got was exactly like this one... (It just happened to be an exact match for the O'S which I suspect the previous owner had replaced at some stage as well)... It was a perfect fit.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-3-Mk1-Hatch-Saloon-2004-9-2009-Front-Fog-Light-Lamp-Passenger-Side-N-S/222512214889?hash=item33cec2f369:g:jUUAAOSwuhFaPSKm

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »
Be careful  before you order. The style of the fog lights changed in 2007   From circular 2004-2006    to oval 2007-2010

Below is my 2004 version

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
There's a couple of ways you can repair lenses that I've used successfully in the past.
Araldite works pretty well if you can get some into the crack. Remove excess from surface then put a layer of sellotape or cling film over the araldite and smooth the surface. Allow to cure for 30 minutes, remove the sellotape/clingfilm layer and use a blade to remove excess araldite.
The other thing I've used is self adhesive clear plastic film. The sort of stuff that's sold for screen protectors would be fine. It's neater than araldite and not so obvious. I had a car pass several MOTs with both types of repair.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
Be careful  before you order. The style of the fog lights changed in 2007   From circular 2004-2006    to oval 2007-2010

Below is my 2004 version

I thought that design was for the Sport models only on the pre-facelift (mine was built in Oct 2005 but registered in Jan 2006) Mazda3 - the TS and TS2 models like mine have the oval design with the black (grey) surrounding, as per the photo on Mazda's website.  I think post facelift some mk1s came with more rectangular foglamps, though they may again have been on higher-end or special edition models.

I think what I'll need to check is if the size of the oval version is any different from the mk1 to the facelift car, and if the product marcddsa showed on Ebay (thanks - that looks a reasonable price for the lens/surround) is what I'm looking for (i.e. not the whole assembly/kit but just the lens) and is either a genuine Mazda part of at least a decent quality OEM one.  If it is and can be fitted without too much bother (I am no mechanic nor have any facility to do any fancy work as I live in a flat and don't have any proper tools, jacks etc), then I may fit it myself, or if my dealership can do so (sourcing a decent indie round my way is difficult), then I might get them to do it if the labour cost isn't too high.  I'll check the online manual here to see if it has anything about doing this.

If its a no-go, then I'll either try out moozmozz's method to shore it up or put up with the crack and hope it doesn't get any worse.  Any thoughts though on whether it can be a MOT failure item, given its not a DRL and having/using them isn't compuslary.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
Surely you can pick one up from EBay?

Seem to be plenty of the oval with grey surround available for about 45 quid.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 12:42:20 AM »
According to the MOT manual

"4.5 Front and rear fog lamps
4.5.1 Presence, condition and operation
You only need to inspect:
front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018"

So you could cover them in pink and blue sparkles and it wouldn't have any effect on your MOT.

Looking at the workshop manual, There isn't much to removing/refitting a fog light, but you need to remove two screws that look awkward to get at and will probably be rusty blobs on a car that age.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »
Surely you can pick one up from EBay?

Seem to be plenty of the oval with grey surround available for about 45 quid.

When I initially searched there, I could only find the entire light kit, and not just the lens and oval housing part (which is the one marc has managed to find), to avoid any issues with cheapo knock offs with dodgy electrics, and which are still far more expensive than just then lens part.  The part that marc found seems to be the cheapest available.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »
According to the MOT manual

"4.5 Front and rear fog lamps
4.5.1 Presence, condition and operation
You only need to inspect:
front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018"

So you could cover them in pink and blue sparkles and it wouldn't have any effect on your MOT.

Looking at the workshop manual, There isn't much to removing/refitting a fog light, but you need to remove two screws that look awkward to get at and will probably be rusty blobs on a car that age.

Its how to get to the light housing that concerns me - according to a YouTube video of someone essentially doing this job (well, replacing the whole fog lamp assembly [the more expensive part]) showed to be able to remove the broken part (and I suspect, the lens/housing), you have to take the front bumper off and the entire lamp assembly, even to get to the lens bit.  I might even have to disconnect the electrics and need to adjust the light aiming.  That looks to be too much of a risk for my lack of skills/risk-averse nature as a mechanic and useful workspace available - much more of a hassle than changing a headlamp bulb (which I've done before on my old Micra no trouble, and seemingly is almost as easy to do on the Mazda3).

I may compromise and, depending on the cost, see if my dealership can fit the £40 part - at least if they get it wrong, they pay to put it right.  The video guy took about 15-20 mins to remove and fit a completely new assembly, so I might reasonably be charged £40 - £50 to have it fitted.

Many thanks for the help to everyone posting.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »