Author Topic: Mazda connected services  (Read 2003 times)

Offline koolkatz

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
    • twokoolkatz
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Mazda connected services
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
What happened to Mazda Connected Services? I understand it was discontinued a while back. How can you get live traffic updates now. The only option is to use a phone based app which makes the built in Satnav redundant!

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
Re: Mazda connected services
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
I hope not and have not seen anything. I updated my Map and Connected services subscriptions for 3 years in March.

Offline koolkatz

• S Class
    • twokoolkatz
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »
Is it all still working? Can you get live traffic updates etc. I would certainly like to have them if they are still available.

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »
Not done a long run recently but will be over the weekend, so can let you know after, have you updated your subscriptions?

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:47:33 AM »
Just to update that the connected services are working.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »
How much does it cost to update the subscription to the sat nav services?  Obviously the mk2 has a different system to the mk3, but it would be interesting to see how the costs compare: I remember when buying my mk1 that no online services were available, so all we got was a DVD-based map-only system that cost a whopping £1500 over the standard car as an optional extra. Ouch!  Apparently Mazda are now charging a quite hefty £300 for the 'priviledge' of having Apple Car Play/Android Auto on the latest (just updated) Mazda6, not sure if its available on the latest 3 even after the update 18 months ago.

In many ways, I'd rather stick to phone-based systems if they keep changing the tech from one generation of the cars to the next and make it defunct only after 5 years or so.  At least with a phone you can swap it out cheaply for a new one or just update the (often cheap or free) apps, even if you have to compromise a bit with the phone on the air vent/windscreen and a wire to the charging point.  Even my old Nokia 620 and Here Maps (still updateable) worked fine on my recent long drive to and holiday in the West Country.

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »
You have to order online, the links take you to Naviextras.com based in Hungry, so be aware that prices are in Euro's to start with. Here were my costs for the updates purchased at the beginning of March when the €/£ rate was a little more favorable:

3 years Map updates  € 183.50 = £162.85
3 years connected services € 92.83 = £82.38   

Total £245.23

My old free standing Garmin still gets free map updates and over the air traffic (through radio signals), regardless of being over the air, connected services or motorway based signs, the traffic information provided is all pants and rarely current and appropriate. I hear what you say about using mobile based maps etc., but what to do with an android tablet glued to the dashboard?? I guess I could fit my Garmin over the front and attached with some rubber bands  >:D >:D

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »
You have to order online, the links take you to Naviextras.com based in Hungry, so be aware that prices are in Euro's to start with. Here were my costs for the updates purchased at the beginning of March when the €/£ rate was a little more favorable:

Total £245.23

My old free standing Garmin still gets free map updates and over the air traffic (through radio signals), regardless of being over the air, connected services or motorway based signs, the traffic information provided is all pants and rarely current and appropriate. I hear what you say about using mobile based maps etc., but what to do with an android tablet glued to the dashboard?? I guess I could fit my Garmin over the front and attached with some rubber bands  >:D >:D

Thanks for the price info.  As regards using (for the 3rd gen car at least) upright built-in screen or phone, what's a shame it that the in-built system doesn't 'pop up' like the gen 1 car's (now rubbish and expensive) DVD based system, leaving much of the dash free if you weren't using it.

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »

Total £245.23

Thanks for the price info.  As regards using (for the 3rd gen car at least) upright built-in screen or phone, what's a shame it that the in-built system doesn't 'pop up' like the gen 1 car's (now rubbish and expensive) DVD based system, leaving much of the dash free if you weren't using it.

The current sat nav is essentially similar to mobile phones, Garmin, etc  in that it is based solely on GPS. The system used for Gen 1 (DVD) and Gen 2 (SD card) was more expensive because it is much more complicated. As well as GPS it uses a speed sensor and gyrosensor (orientation) to keep track of the car's exact position/direction and this works even in an underground car park. Hence, the moment you switch on it remembers exactly where the car is and can still track the direction/distance accurately even while underground until GPS is unavailable again.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »