Author Topic: Additional Key Fob for 2010 Mazda3 Sport  (Read 242 times)

Offline arthurd123

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Additional Key Fob for 2010 Mazda3 Sport
« on: July 11, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
Hello everyone,

Hope someone can put me on the right track here, I have just purchased a 2010 Mazda3 Sport, love the car in fact never knew they were so much fun to drive. I do have one issue though as per my title.

The car came only with one 3 button smart fob (Open,Close & Alarm buttons), I have been searching for info on this on this very forum but couldn't find any compatibility lists for these key fobs. I have contacted a local Auto Locksmiths but they have quoted me £280+VAT for a replacement, which I'm not willing to pay for obvious reasons.

My current key fob lists as SKE11B-03 the ones of eBay are usually SKE13E-01 and my simple question is will the SKE13E-01 key fob work with my car or do I need to get an identical part number (SKE11B-03)? The SKE13E-01 version also comes with 3 identical buttons. I can also get a key blank and get it cut elsewhere so that shouldn't be a problem right?

I'm definitely aware that afterwards I need to get someone to program the car to work with this replacement key fob, once I know the above will work I will look for someone who can do it for me.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Arthur

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
Re: Additional Key Fob for 2010 Mazda3 Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
I would suggest that you need to obtain a key fob with the same part no.  as this will comply with the required frequency criteria required for your car. 

Also this might be of interest to you :-    http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=6309.0
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline arthurd123

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »
I would suggest that you need to obtain a key fob with the same part no.  as this will comply with the required frequency criteria required for your car. 

Also this might be of interest to you :-    http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=6309.0

Willpower,

Thanks for clarifying this for me, I have found one on eBay with exact same part number so will go for that.

Appreciate the link as well... ;)

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
Its not clear from your posts if you noticed that both the key fob and the key blank have to be programmed to the car separately. The key blank holds the immobiliser chip (transponder) in the plasic bit at the top so having one cut is not enough.

The thread linked by Willpower says while programming to turn the key in the ignition but if you have a 2.2L 2010 Sport I think it has keyless entry. In that case the keyhole for the ignition key is only for emergency use (no working fob) and the key does not turn.

I think back in 2010 Mazda were still using many Ford parts including the security system. Long ago I found some old instructions on the Mazda forums but quoting the corresponding Focus manual. They confirm that you must have 2 preprogrammed keys for your car. If you have keyless entry you turn the ignition on by pressing the button rather than turning the key. No mention of playing with the doors.
The thread was http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=5340.0 so Willpower may be able to find it:

Now to program the transponder, I have the Focus manual page in hand, here is the basic how-to.
Items needed:
1. 2 pre-programmed transponder keys.
2. 1 new transponder key
The timing is critical to this procedure, please read through the entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one
second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the
ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second
but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red
key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.
If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid
key.  Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it
before.

I have never tried this but back in 2009 I bought an expensive spare pre-programmed key from a dealer and looked for instructions in case I lost one of the two that came with the car!

Offline arthurd123

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:27 PM »
Its not clear from your posts if you noticed that both the key fob and the key blank have to be programmed to the car separately. The key blank holds the immobiliser chip (transponder) in the plasic bit at the top so having one cut is not enough.

The thread linked by Willpower says while programming to turn the key in the ignition but if you have a 2.2L 2010 Sport I think it has keyless entry. In that case the keyhole for the ignition key is only for emergency use (no working fob) and the key does not turn.

I think back in 2010 Mazda were still using many Ford parts including the security system. Long ago I found some old instructions on the Mazda forums but quoting the corresponding Focus manual. They confirm that you must have 2 preprogrammed keys for your car. If you have keyless entry you turn the ignition on by pressing the button rather than turning the key. No mention of playing with the doors.
The thread was http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=5340.0 so Willpower may be able to find it:

Now to program the transponder, I have the Focus manual page in hand, here is the basic how-to.
Items needed:
1. 2 pre-programmed transponder keys.
2. 1 new transponder key
The timing is critical to this procedure, please read through the entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one
second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the
ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second
but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red
key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.
If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid
key.  Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it
before.

I have never tried this but back in 2009 I bought an expensive spare pre-programmed key from a dealer and looked for instructions in case I lost one of the two that came with the car!

Thank you Misar,

You are correct it's a keyless entry system and I have just unscrewed the key from the holder and you can clearly see the chip jammed inside the black plastic holder one holds the key the other holds the transponder.

I have bought the exact same model of the key fob off eBay the key that came with it has also has the transponder wedged inside the plastic holder. It's obviously been programmed to another car so this it's a bit of a dead end here as I only have one working fob and one key with correctly programmed transponder.

It seems I need to spend big because I have been told by the local locksmith that you need a clean chip in both the key and the fob to program it correctly as it can go wrong and I may disable my old fob and key altogether.

I did some tests here as well I can start the car with either the advanced smart fob or the key on their own.

Upon splitting the two together I can open the car with just the key on me, the alarm goes off as I place in the slot and hit Start the alarm goes off and the car starts as normal....With just the fob on me I can open the car without the alarm going off and the engine starts as normal.

So do I need to program the key and the fob separately? Do I still need two already working fobs to do that? Also can I program jus the fob on its own?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm a little confused here.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:54:36 PM by arthurd123 »

Offline hanix

• TS Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:07:29 AM »
I would carefully consider misar's reply. When one of the keys to my wife's Focus was stolen in a burglary the insurance company insisted that the car;the remaining key and the replacement key were all re-programmed. A missing key in the wild making the car liable to theft.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:07:29 AM »