Author Topic: Mazda 3 from Scotland - why so cheap?  (Read 562 times)

Offline philly

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Mazda 3 from Scotland - why so cheap?
« on: July 05, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »
Why are mazda 3's  from Scotland priced much lower than from any other part of the UK? I would imagine it is due to the dreaded corrosion problem caused by salt on the roads in Scottish winters but I thought BM models do not suffer from this problem any more as opposed to older generations.

Would you buy a mazda knowing that it was driven in Scotland previously?

Offline Ed-Led

• TS Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: Mazda 3 from Scotland - why so cheap?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:28:30 PM »
Nowadays I would buy a Mazda from Scotland although i'd still be wary of buying a car that's spent it's time near the sea anywhere in the UK. I used to have a 2002 Mazda 323 2.0 Sport that was registered in Inverness and owned by a guy in Thurso and rust had set in after 5 to 6 years on that. Eventually it killed the car, the strut top mounts dissolved after 10 years.   

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
Scottish cars do tend to be cheaper due to the location and lower population density..that and there seems more Mazdas in the north so supply and demand would dictate they were cheaper.

People don't tend to travel the length of the country to buy an ordinary car.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:27:19 AM »
"I would imagine it is due to the dreaded corrosion problem caused by salt on the roads in Scottish winters"

I'm not sure where the north/south line lies for salt/no salt, so I'm not too sure if that's the answer. This past winter, we didn't have all that much snow, but enough for buses to stop running - as far as I know, the only route taken off in Scotland - because Stagecoach considered the road too dangerous. They were right. After a fortnight, the council put out diggers to chip their way through 150mm of compacted snow/ice which, by then, was like polished rock. Roads seem more likely to get salted when there's no need, and that's when it does most damage to vehicles.

I took to the hills yesterday and the "Scottish winters" line reminded me of a conversation I overheard in Tomintoul museum a few years ago. The "curator" was busy telling a gullible tourist, and everybody else within a sizeable radius, how the village was cut off by snow for up to 11 months of the year.

No sign of any snow yesterday, only some gritting on the road above Cock Bridge, but that was most likely for melting tar or maybe an obnoxious motor cyclist had been splattered. Too many of them seem to see the Lecht as a race track.

My 2005 Gen 1 underwent major surgery last week for its MOT. Corrosion on sills extending into wheel arches front and rear. I reckon three contributing factors. Salt corrosion, spread of corrosion from the wheel arch recall problem, which wasn't repaired properly and misuse of trolley jacks by tyre fitters.
Many years ago, I was getting the front tyres on my SAAB 96 replaced. Quick look and the jack was positioned at the front of the car dead centre. Stopped the guy and asked what he was doing. He reckoned there was a handy bit of tube running across the front, and he was right. Only problem was it was the exhaust! Before I bought the car, the sump was replaced as it had been punctured by...………...

As for the price difference, I don't know how the Mazda dealer density varies Scotland to England nor the sales rate. Nor do I know the car to population density difference between Scotland and England, but I'd doubt if there were major differences. I suspect, as far as trade is concerned, price difference may be due to cars being more mobile closer to bigger population centres - easier and cheaper to move cars relatively short distances by transporter- so easier to sell, so prices stay up.

Another major factor may be the difference in the structure of car sales between Scotland and England. I suspect there are more used car dealers in England than in Scotland, where the majority of cars seem to go through dealerships. 

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:27:19 AM »