Author Topic: High Res Music Player Experience  (Read 715 times)

Offline Ian345

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Eternal Blue (45B)
  • Engine: 1.5D
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2017
High Res Music Player Experience
« on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Feel free to move this to a different place, if I have guessed wrong.

I have a Gen 3 Sport Nav, with the Bose sound.

I have bought a FiiO X1, Gen 2, High res portable music player. This is able to play lossless Music (FLAC), so gives me CD quality sound rather than compressed MP3. It takes micro-SD cards up to 128GB, so lot's of room for music. It costs about £90, so is relatively good value and sounds great as a portable music player, either headphones, Bluetooth or 3.5mm connected to speakers or hi-fi. There are plenty of free Apps that can convert CD's to FLAC - e.g. Windows Music Player

The advantage of the FiiO X1, gen 2, is that it has an in-car mode. Sat in the centre console in the tray, connected to the 3.5mm jack for the music output (I think it can be done via Bluetooth too) and the power connection from one of the USB ports, the player detects when the car is on and plays. When the car ignition is turned off, the player powers down and will resume when the ignition is turned back on again.

Also available is a Bluetooth remote that can clip onto the steering wheel or dash.

All in all, this is a well made music player, brilliant sound quality, alloy case and adapted to playing in-car too. I highly recommend it, if it is something you are looking for. The UI is a bit clunky, but you get used to it.

There are plenty of reviews online for the FiiO X1, gen 2.

(I have no affiliation with FiiO and get nothing for this recommendation - just sharing my experience)

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: High Res Music Player Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
Out of interest is there any point in going full loss less audio in a car? I get why you would for sitting with a set of noise cancelling head phones on in your front room. But in a car? where the vast majority of noise is not from your stereo.

I've had some fairly serious stereos in previous cars, and even fully dynomatted out, re-wired with large gauge shielded cabling, professionally set up for SQ your main enemy was not your sound source..it was the environment it was in. Road noise, wind noise, interior panels reverbing that kinda thing.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »
Out of interest is there any point in going full loss less audio in a car? I get why you would for sitting with a set of noise cancelling head phones on in your front room. But in a car? where the vast majority of noise is not from your stereo.

I've had some fairly serious stereos in previous cars, and even fully dynomatted out, re-wired with large gauge shielded cabling, professionally set up for SQ your main enemy was not your sound source..it was the environment it was in. Road noise, wind noise, interior panels reverbing that kinda thing.

Quite right - if I wanted HQ sound from my ICE (add on or in-built), I'd buy a car with really decent soundproofing as well as a quality sound system.  At present, the former is certainly lacking with Mazdas when compared to the premium marques.  I'd personally also have one that was easy to use and reasonable sound quality.  Even my mk1's is perfectly ok for most music.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »
The first point would be that from the most basic stereo, the smaller the space, the more impossible it is to set up to get decent quality sound, particularly if that space is cluttered with materials of varying sound absorption and reflectivity.

The second, and possibly more important point would be that if you're driving a car on a public road, you should be concentrating on just that, and not getting immersed in music. Leave that for the comforts of home, where the biggest risk is spilling your cocoa. :)

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
The first point would be that from the most basic stereo, the smaller the space, the more impossible it is to set up to get decent quality sound, particularly if that space is cluttered with materials of varying sound absorption and reflectivity.

The second, and possibly more important point would be that if you're driving a car on a public road, you should be concentrating on just that, and not getting immersed in music. Leave that for the comforts of home, where the biggest risk is spilling your cocoa. :)

Nice.  ;D

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »