Author Topic: Rear springs recommendation?  (Read 235 times)

Offline NickS

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Rear springs recommendation?
« on: June 28, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
So my 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Nav 2.2D 150PS went in for a service (that's another story) and they spotted a broken rear coil spring. My local Mazda dealer says they'd be about £85 each if there were any in the UK, but there aren't. £85 doesn't seem outrageous for an original part (probably ex VAT though, I forgot to check) which probably explains why most of the posts I can find on here are about performance/lowering springs. I just want something standard, or even from whoever makes springs for Mazda.

2 questions for you:
1. Do you know who makes the springs for Mazda?
2. Other than that, for standard springs who do you like; Sachs, Eibach, KYB, Monroe, other?
10 blue MX5 (when permitted)
14 Soul Red 3 Sport 2.2 Diesel

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Rear springs recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
So my 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Nav 2.2D 150PS went in for a service (that's another story) and they spotted a broken rear coil spring. My local Mazda dealer says they'd be about £85 each if there were any in the UK, but there aren't. £85 doesn't seem outrageous for an original part (probably ex VAT though, I forgot to check) which probably explains why most of the posts I can find on here are about performance/lowering springs. I just want something standard, or even from whoever makes springs for Mazda.

2 questions for you:
1. Do you know who makes the springs for Mazda?
2. Other than that, for standard springs who do you like; Sachs, Eibach, KYB, Monroe, other?

You're having this problem for a mk3?!  Jeez - I thought this was bad enough for the mk1, whereby I asked about having the front springs/shocks changed (wear and tear - not terrible yet, but might need doing in the next couple of years or so) and was told in no uncertain terms that Mazda don't do them any more, except if you want the car lowered.  They didn't even bother to tell me of any alternatives - in fact, they said an indie would better suited to do the work.  Don't they WANT my business (a customer since new [2006])?

You could try another dealership to see if it IS the same for all Mazdas (including the latest gen cars) and then go direct to the top (recommended by reviews for general replacements) manufacturers selling in the UK.  The dealer might fit other brands if the parts match exactly, but I'm getting increasingly concerned that dealerships are turning into 'basic workshops' only just for servicing and replacement of certain parts only.  My local one now seems to be making a big play to replace tyres, probably because they have a deal with a national depot and supply them at a far higher price (I'm talking 25-30% at least) than if you go through an online tyre dealer, even if you get them fitted at the main dealer.

Offline audioslaven

• Takara Class
  • Go on an save yourself, take it out on me!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
i changed these on my wife's MK 1 with KYB Rear Coil Spring @ 45 euro each. They are actually straight forward to do in the rear.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »