Author Topic: Dab Question  (Read 770 times)

Offline Michael

• S Class
Dab Question
« on: June 14, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
Hi I’m considering a 3 fastback Sport Nav diesel 15 plate but it does not seem to have a dab radio can anyone tell me when these became standard, am I looking at a newer model 16/17 plate?
Thanks

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Dab Question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 05:36:40 PM »
Hi I’m considering a 3 fastback Sport Nav diesel 15 plate but it does not seem to have a dab radio can anyone tell me when these became standard, am I looking at a newer model 16/17 plate?
Thanks

Definitely on the refreshed models from late 2016 (called 2017 models - some, but not all, 66 plate cars onwards) with the revised centre console; I thought it was added a bit earlier than that, but perhaps not.  I no-one comes back with a definitive answer, ask Mazda themselves.

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:35:25 AM »
I've got a 16 plate bought April 2016 and that's got DAB though to be honest I can't tell the difference between DAB and FM except DAB is not as loud

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
I've got a 16 plate bought April 2016 and that's got DAB though to be honest I can't tell the difference between DAB and FM except DAB is not as loud

One of the problems with the DAB system (in general - nothing to do with Mazda) in the UK, when compared to the rest of Europe, is that we use the first generation system, which is rubbish and gives relatively low bit rates (the higher, the less compression of the data, like MP3s, and thus the better quality the sound), and so car-based systems aren't that good.  If we upgraded to the 2nd gen system they use, all our radios would be defunct.  The powers-that-be decided to not upgrade at an early stage when usage wasn't that widespread, and now we're stuck with a very average system that drivers can't use when they cross the channel on holiday.

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
"and now we're stuck with a very average system that drivers can't use when they cross the channel on holiday."

Now I didn't know that!!

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 12:17:04 AM »
Checking coverage with http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/  you're pretty lucky if you get DAB on this side of the channel. On the odd occasion, I've landed on DAB, the signal's usually so poor and intermittent, it's not worth bothering with.

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
My coverage is pretty good. I get the odd break in service and the volume is lower than FM. Probably because of my age, my hearing is considerably less sensitive than it was so I can't tell the difference in quality between DAB and FM

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »
My coverage is pretty good. I get the odd break in service and the volume is lower than FM. Probably because of my age, my hearing is considerably less sensitive than it was so I can't tell the difference in quality between DAB and FM

I find that (assuming a good signal for both) FM radio is 'brighter' than the sound from a DAB radio station, as the bit rate for UK DAB stations is not that high (i.e. its quite compressed and lossy - not terrible, but noticeable).  Admitedly my car only has FM/AM but my mini hifi has that and DAB, but it is hooked up to a decent roof aerial installation for both.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:45:13 PM »
I normally end up on DAB by accident due to the weird set up of the Mazda radio controls on the Gen 3. My area certainly isn't great for reception, but even when I do get a good signal, it's just not worth bothering with. It sounds like it's coming through an old sock. No sharpness.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
I normally end up on DAB by accident due to the weird set up of the Mazda radio controls on the Gen 3. My area certainly isn't great for reception, but even when I do get a good signal, it's just not worth bothering with. It sounds like it's coming through an old sock. No sharpness.

That's the high compression leading to loss of fidelity at the low and especially the high end of the frequency spectrum, rather like the old 'Dolby' noise reduction systems on cassette tape players.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »