Author Topic: Soul Red  (Read 617 times)

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2016
Soul Red
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »
I've got a 2016 3 Sedan in Soul Red and when I bought it it seemed to sparkle in most conditions. Now, after 2 years it seems to take really bright sunshine before it lights up. I am doing something wrong in cleaning it or does the effect fade after a while

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
Re: Soul Red
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:49:25 AM »
How are you cleaning it?

The effect shouldn't fade unless the surface gets fogged. I saw a product claiming to remove "fallout" recently. I'd imagine it's aimed at removing a film of surface contamination that's resistant to "normal" car wash. No idea if it works and wouldn't endorse carparts4less any more. Cancelled my last order ten days after the 48 hour delivery had failed to materialise, but here's the link  https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?542772442&0&cc5_111

I had a 1996 Nissan Primera from new in Morello Red which I suspect had a broadly similar shading effect as your Soul Red, though I've yet to be close up to a Soul Red in daylight - colour changed beautifully in different light.
I can't really remember lavishing much attention on the bodywork other than giving it a decent wash and hose down from time to time. Despite that and some nasty winters with loads of salt to contend with, it still sparkled beautifully when I parted with it after nearly 10 years and around 140000 miles. The only blemishes were around the door handles, and that was down to the numpties who changed the body coloured robot fitted body colour handles for chromed handles, and broke the paint surface in the fitting holes in the process. And like the Mazda Gen 1 rear wheel arch paint recall, the "touch up" didn't live up to the promises.

I bought a paint protection package with the current car and have been using the wash supplied with that. No idea what it is, but a capful in a bucket of warm water does a pretty good job after pressure washing the muck off. I'm not one to dedicate my life to washing a car that's going to get filthy/chipped or whatever as soon as I take it back on the road, so pressure wash, sponge wash, pressure rinse is probably as much as it'll ever get.
In bright sunlight, my car paintwork lights up or darkens down depending on the angle you view it from, but that's with a Mica paint. Not sure if you should be expecting such dramatic effects with a metallic.

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
Thanks Moozmooz.

I've tried similar stuff on the wheels but never brave enough to try it on paintwork.

I tend to simply wash it, using wash wax and then rinse and leather and put on polish, generally just furniture polish as it stops rain marks and makes bird poo easier to shift but that's all.

Ian

Offline UraniumSnake

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »
I've never used it but have heard great things about using a clay bar for removing stains and contaminants... but surprised its faded so quickly.
I had a 2014 deep crystal blue and it sparkles even now (sold on to a friend) and all that was used was standard shampoo, polish and waxes. Cleaned every 2-3 weeks.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
Maybe you've answered your own question. Furniture polish on top of wash wax could well be giving you a foggy shell, possibly due to some kind of chemical reaction between the two products, especially if the furniture polish is an aerosol.

The other issue may be some odd airborne pollutant. Any high emission industry around where you are? Agricultural spray?

I'd stick to car wash and or polish. No need to go mad like these idiot "detailers" (still don't know where that word came from or what it's supposed to mean) who seem to primp and preen their cars somewhat obsessively. I've yet to see a product that'll stop stone chips, so until I do, a simple wash will do me fine.

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
Well, that sounds a good place to start. I'll try without the furniture polish. Thanks

Offline Kentish

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 10:15:59 PM »
Wash, rinse, claybar then cleaner fluid followed by wax,
The clay bar will remove all the air debris and such from the top of the paint without damaging it.
I'm mad enough to use Swisswax, which I also used on my previous car, a Skoda Superb which after 15 years still looked like brand new.

Offline Alfisto

• TS Class
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »
What's cleaner fluid?

Offline Kentish

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »
A fluid that has helps the paint prior to waxing it.

Offline Ste7en

• S Class
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
Cleaner fluid? Never heard of it.

Our Mazda (2015 2.0 Fastback in Soul Red) is covered in swirls. We have had it around a month.

We saw it before it hit the garage forecourt and it had some swirls, but not as many as it has now. I can only assume the guys who detailed it have done it.

So far I've tried a test panel (boot lid) and I've washed it then used a clay bar, Swirl X and Tech Wax 2.0 on it. It got rid of around 2/3rds of it. Done it a second time and didn't remove any more. Spoke to a guy at Meguiar's and they recommended compound, polish and wax.

Kitted out and now I'm waiting for an overcast day.

Edit: Never use furniture polish. If you're in a rush use a Quick Detailer. Oh, and bin the leather and use a microfibre cloth.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:03:37 PM by Ste7en »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »