Author Topic: The new mazda 3?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline zoomzoomer

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2017
The new mazda 3?
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »
The new mazda 3 will be unveiled at the los Angeles motor show but Auto express claim to have exclusive pictures.
What do you think  http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/3/103628/advanced-new-2019-mazda-3-to-ko-diesels
There is a video on YouTube   MZ crazy cars     that shows  a few seconds of the dash as well. Looks like a full digital dash.

Admin note : Amended to activate non working link
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:58:44 AM by zoomzoomer »

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: The new mazda 3?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »
It's the usual auto express slightly iffy potatoshop. It does look good but if the 20 or 21 inch wheels shown make production I will be very surprised. To me it looks as though they've shopped plates onto the concept car and changed the colour of it.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »
We shall see if this report is based on fact rather than speculation.  If the new model looks like the (likely) photoshopped one in the report, which I agree is an almost carbon-copy of the concept model, then it looks very good, but then so does the current model.  To gain more sales (including from myself), the car and Mazda will need to:

• Improve the ride quality reduce in-cabin noise, especially when shod on the 'sporty' 18in rims and 40/45 profile tyres.  They improved this from the mk1 to the mk2, but I was less impressed with the mk3, particularly as regards ride quality.  Its fine when shod with 16in rims and the 60 profile tyres (similar to the mk1 and 2 on 55 profile 16in tyres or the 65 profile 15in ones), but I found it overly firm on 18in rims, particularly when the non 165hp Sport models aren't really sporty at all.  Either beef up the suspension across the entire range or just for the Sport/GT Sport models with low profile tyre as standard.  Kia/Hyundai apparently do this with their cars Down Under, where they get 'Aussie' suspension to cope with their low quality rural roads, even on ordinary cars;
  • Whilst I appreciate that Mazda is a relatively small motor firm amongst the 'big players' such as VAG, Ford, Toyota & Co, and that they want a 'transition period' from their SkyActive-G/D engines to the X to save money, they need to put a BIG effort into getting that tech rolled out asap as this is one of the main reasons why sales have fallen/stagnated in the EU.  The 2.5 SA-G isn't available on EU cars (possibly due to the EU's corporate CO2 limits [penalised per car sale]), which essentially matches the performance of the new 2.0 SA-X but at higher CO2/lower mpg figures.  The 1.5 SA-G sold poorly for the 3 in the EU and has now been withdrawn; the standard 2.0 SA-X is, to me, a bit lifeless (not much quicker without thrashing it than my mk1's 1.6 petrol when I test drove one last year), and compared to its rivals with small turbo-petrols isn't that great.  The car itself handles very well as before, has good interior ergonomics and is good value with lots of kit that other makes only have as optional extras, but it needs more on the performance and comfort front to compete.  The standard 2.0 thus needs to be improved so its more usable without needing to thrash it;
  • Re-introduce the excellent TC auto across the range, including on any saloon model (presonal prefence) and bother to market how good (smooth and reliable) it is when compared to all those unreliable (except Hyundai/KIAs version) VAG DSG/Ford Powershift units.  Now that new cars don't need to be artificially toned down to meet CO2 bands, they can be tuned to give decent power across the rev range for all models, manual and autos;
  • Drop the mantra of going to the extreme with weight saving by dropping spare tyres in favour of the can of goo (which doesn't work and just ruins a tyre that could've been plugged for £10 - £15) and go back to having spares fitted as standard, not costing the rip-off price of £395 because it comes with a unique fitting hole for the jack etc (even worse in the CX-3, where part of the Sport model ICE goes in that space, meaning you CAN'T spec a spare tyre AT ALL).  I'd personally rather have full-sized spares (as in the i30 I think), with the option of having a space saver as a no-cost option and no special (read expensive) fitment requirements - that just pees off customers if they find their car wasn't fitted with one as standard.  Having a standard tyre/steel wheel probably costs about £150 - £200 tops and only a few g/km of CO2 and decimals of mpg, especially now that many countries, like the UK, have no grading system for (new car) VED type road taxes other than zero CO2 for fully electric cars;
  • Depending on how long this 'transition period' is, Mazda will need to resolve ALL the (well known) major problems with their diesel engines.  Some can be negated by better training of sales staff (including them being more honest, not just better technically on those aspects of the cars) so that prospective buyers know they MUST not buy a diesel-powered car for use on predominantly short trips from cold; the other issues cannot.  I've noticed MANY quite new Sport models (overly firm ride) and/or diesels being PXed at dealerships within 2-3 years by private buyers (which rarely happened on the mk1s and 2s) because of problems with these models.  Very few SE/SE-L (Nav) 2.0 SA-Gs get returned in comparison, despite them being a bit lacklustre;
  • Change their ICE touchscreen/ICE system so that its generic and compatible with Android Auto/Apple Car Play etc without the need to hack it to get that facility, which probably invalidates your warranty;
  • Up to warranty to AT LEAST 5 years/100k miles: 3 years/60k miles is what all the low quality makes offer.  What's noticeable is that many makes offer better warranties abroad (outside the EU) where governments are far better at clamping down on poor customer service and thus have better consumer laws;
  • Mazda dealers and Mazda UK really need to up their game as regards customer service.  Sometimes I wonder if Mazda UK do anything other than marketing for new cars when they first arrive - they seem, from my (admitedly limited) research and experience that they aren't very helpful.  They need to enforce the customer care and service quality control far better, if they do that now at all.  We've all read on this site a number of tales of woe as regards post sales customer care, seemingly on a par with manufacturers that have a poor rep for their service depts.  If they want to be seen as 'up-market', then they can't just pretend to like (IMHO) VW does - they need to get the engineering spot on for reliability (i.e. the new tech and diesels for now) AND make sure their service depts are honest, trustworthy and knowledgable - and that includes not just trying to flog expensive replacement parts when a removal and clean/unblock/service (EGRs, throttle bodies, power steering etc) can be done at a far lower cost, often for very similar results.  Have a look at and emulate the best dealers, e.g. Wrights Mazda in Norwich, which wins awards every year for its high technical and customer service levels.  Note that they are a long-established, family-run business, not some multi-franchise monster that just cares about sales targets;

Then they can justifiably start changing Honda prices.  I would then seriously consider one, as long as the interior/boot space wasn't reduced.  At present (depends on my career change - when that happens) I am seriously considering changing to Hyundai/KIA, as they are continually upping their game on all fronts and are very much contenders with the best on the market for their latest models, e.g. the i30/Ceed (especially the amazing i30N), i10/Picanto and Stinger, never mind how much closer they are to Honda/Toyota in engineering quality/reliability as well as post-sales customer care (particularly when their market-leading warranties and high value-for-money are factored in).

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
Better cabin stowage space. My Gen 1 probably has more stowage capacity in the glove box than the whole of my Gen 3 cabin. Where's it all gone? The boot's smaller as well, especially once you stick in a spare wheel. And speaking of the boot, reinstate the hinged parcel shelf (as in the Gen1) and stop Gen 3 owners splitting their foreheads. I'd love to know how much that idiotic exercise in "design" saved.

Built in front and rear dashcams. That's a sub £100 add on, and far more useful than many of the questionable geegaws.

My take on your point 6 is somewhat different. I'd love to see ALL motor manufacturers build in some control over how in car technology can be abused. Phones are the most obvious distraction, but you can add on music systems, television and video playback, be it on inbuilt devices or mobile phones. Too many baubles to play with for the all too many irresponsible drivers on the road.

I've no complaints on the ride on my 16" wheels. Easily better than my Gen1. Simple answer. Avoid 18" wheels with rubber bands.

How long is Mazda likely to continue with a diesel given the performance of the new petrol engine? Will they let these filthy relics bite the dust? I know which I'd rather have.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »
Better cabin stowage space. My Gen 1 probably has more stowage capacity in the glove box than the whole of my Gen 3 cabin. Where's it all gone? The boot's smaller as well, especially once you stick in a spare wheel. And speaking of the boot, reinstate the hinged parcel shelf (as in the Gen1) and stop Gen 3 owners splitting their foreheads. I'd love to know how much that idiotic exercise in "design" saved.

Built in front and rear dashcams. That's a sub £100 add on, and far more useful than many of the questionable geegaws.

My take on your point 6 is somewhat different. I'd love to see ALL motor manufacturers build in some control over how in car technology can be abused. Phones are the most obvious distraction, but you can add on music systems, television and video playback, be it on inbuilt devices or mobile phones. Too many baubles to play with for the all too many irresponsible drivers on the road.

I've no complaints on the ride on my 16" wheels. Easily better than my Gen1. Simple answer. Avoid 18" wheels with rubber bands.

How long is Mazda likely to continue with a diesel given the performance of the new petrol engine? Will they let these filthy relics bite the dust? I know which I'd rather have.

When I looked at replacing my mk1 saloon last year (I didn't ater all), I noticed when looking around that storage space was less useable - the fastback has a shallower boot than mine, making the aperture even smaller (doh!).  Some people (on another forum) have said that if you add the space-saver spare in (even with the Mazda fitment/frame) it apparently raises the floor slightly in the middle, reducing usable space again.  I must admit do liking my ample storage space on the mk1.  I think that the lower roofline of the mk3 definitely contributes to the reduced space overall - to me, the car looks a bit squashed, more from the front/rear.

My comment about the ICE being compatible with phone systems is more to do with car firms being generally very bad at making up their own interfaces/software, and especially sat nav ones, which, as they are unique to that manufacturer, tie you in to expensive upgrades after the 3 year period has ended.  What would happen if they changed systems?  I doubt if they would keep upgrading their defunct one for long, if at all.  I' darther be able to choose which satnav system I could use, like an app on my phone/tablet that I could plug in.  Apparently they are far better on Hyundais/KIAs than Mazda's own one.  I remember when the a previous VAG one was introduced, and it didn't accept 7-digit postcodes, and often defaulted by itself back to zeGerman factory settings.  If I recall correctly, it took many months to get that sorted out.  With widely available apps, that often can get rectified durin beta testing before release, or at least with a few days/weeks (depending on the problem).

The issue I have with them using 18in rims is that I don';t believe there's any cost-free option to go down to 16in rims on Sport models, as the brakes may well be larger, even though they aren't actually needed as those models don't have a more powerful engine - even the 165 model is only 0.5sec quicker to 60 than the standard 2.0 petrol, and the 2.2TD is quicker than the 2.0 petrol 165 even in SE-L form (admitedly only by 0.1sec to 60).  What also annoys me is that they now use non-standard tyre sizes, which are very uncommon, limiting choice of tyre and raising the cost of replacements by 50% (and that's not including the 18in tyres lasting not as long as the 16in ones and being much more susecptible to pothole damage/kerbing) in many cases, even more so if you want a Sport for the extra gizmos (actually I'd rather have more luxury and a softer ride) but have to have the 18in rims.

The dashcam idea is good, though I'd prefer, like the sat navs, that they come with a standard mounting point so that anyone can buy an aftermarket one (or two if you want one at the rear), which is often far cheaper, better and a more cost effective solution over the long term (same reasons as the sat navs).

The performance of the Mazda diesel engines has always been quite decent, but I think their reliability issues will eventually kill them off, as Mazda is just too small a company to tollerate such large repair/replacement costs and damage to their reputation for long (hopefully).  I suspect, as soon as the new HCCI/SCCI petrol engine is proven to be reliable and performs as well (including real-world mpg) as its been touted to be, then I think they'll get rid of the diesels soon after.  Not sure if they make the 2.2TD themselves, or it is a rebadged PSA/Ford unit like the 1.5TD (previously 1.6).  Either way, doing so should save them shed loads of money and hopefully reduce or remove the need to add petrol particle filters (like DPFs) on that engine, as many makes are now apparaently going to have to do on their next-gen petrol engines to ensure they can meet ever more stringent emissions laws.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »

Both of these things already exist as standard equipment on our C3. They have missed a trick by not hooking the reversing camera up to the on board hard drive as well bit other wise all the hardware is there.

Also Android auto only allows access to a limited number of features when active. So you can change song and playlist..you can't go on the internet and search an artist's back catalogue. You can access navigation apps but not any games, video apps e.t.c.

Tbf it renders Citroens thankfully optional built in system as obsolete..which like most proprietary manufacturers systems is hopeless and constantly out of date.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 12:52:01 AM »
What I'm getting at, I suppose, is that while traffic volumes are greater than they ever were, and driving standards probably as bad, if not worse than they've ever been, cars are being loaded with more and more unnecessary and distracting toys.

Be it idiots that can't stay off their phones or the apparently deaf morons who have to share their thump thump thump "music" with everybody for miles. I assume it's supposed to be music, but all I hear is thump thump thump. Both are proven distractions which the victims of these idiots could all do without.

Phones, be they illegally held and used, or hands free, are always a distraction.
Motorists with the noise cranked up so high that it can be heard by other road users are no different to the pedestrians and cyclists who appear to have a death wish and go about their travels with external noise cancelling earphones glued to their heads, intent on hearing what could turn out to be the last thing they hear.

Driving a car requires concentration, and anybody not prepared to focus on that task and that task alone shouldn't be driving.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
Kids these days...with their selfie sticks and their dabbing..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:36:38 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 12:17:08 AM »
An ageist comment if ever I saw one. I made absolutely no reference to any particular age group.

You can be as flippant as you want, but if you don't recognise the symptoms, it may be because you're part of the problem.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 09:31:27 AM »
An ageist comment if ever I saw one. I made absolutely no reference to any particular age group.

You can be as flippant as you want, but if you don't recognise the symptoms, it may be because you're part of the problem.

Indeed because people over the age of 30 are well known for wandering/cycling round with ear phones in and their pre-disposition towards bass heavy loud dance music. Making a veiled reference is still making a reference..

In some ways I do agree with you that yes driving should be your main focus in a car. But I think what you are missing is that the great majority of people have no interest in driving itself, it's a means to an end, a necessary evil because everything is out of town and public transport outside of greater London is none existent. Look at what sells, automatic, diesel, cross-overs, what person with an interest in driving buys an automatic, front wheel drive off roader with a diesel engine? Because they have no interest they don't care about being good at it..and because police presence is zero they don't have to.

If anything adding a screen at least means when they do look at their phone it's in line of sight and all the video functions are locked off. That and cars with this stuff also tend to have AEB which I'd prefer they did!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:23:23 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »
It extends to many people well over 30.

If people have no interest in driving, they shouldn't be behind the wheel. Or they should have the "safety car" I remember someone advocating several years ago, when people were getting complacent because of improvements in car safety. The car was built on a balsa wood frame with tissue paper panels and a ruddy great spike in the steering wheel hub. It would certainly make most think twice about the way they drive.

AEB's fairly limited so far. SCBS on the 3 only operates if the speed differential between your vehicle and the vehicle in front is below 15km/h. Radar cruise control has it's advantages, but it's too easy for drivers to get lulled into thinking the system should do the work, and they can nod off. You may have seen the Asian gentleman who was caught being naughty with his Tesla recently on a motorway a few weeks back.

The idea of having video functions locked off is fine if it works. My son was behind a car recently where he could see the driver was watching a film on his phone, while his car drifted all over the place.
A while back I was behind a car that seemed a bit  busy. When we got alongside the vehicle in traffic, the first thing we noticed was the noise. Mobile phone conversation blasting so loud pedestrians were turning their heads. Laptop on passenger seat, and paper files being pulled to and from the rear seat. From what we heard of the conversation, the lady driver was a sales rep of some sort, conducting her business while driving at the same time both on a dual carriageway at 70mph, then in busy city streets. And where are the police when you want to give them a heads up?

It's even more entertaining, if that's the right expression, if I travel to town by bus. The things you see when you're looking down into cars or across into trucks. Scary.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:13:15 AM by moozmooz »

Offline spanish

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 12:08:07 AM »
Hey, you all seen this? What do you reckon, are you convinced? https://youtu.be/0lJkdbRnE3o

Offline spanish

• S Class
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 12:15:15 AM »
It is different, right? Is the new one still secret? Can this be anything else? Am I getting overexcited by a medium hatchback?

Offline zoomzoomer

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »
That's the new Mazda 6. The new 3 is rumoured to be unveiled at the  Los Angeles  motor show later in the year but Auto express claim to have exclusive pictures of the new 3.

Offline spanish

• S Class
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 11:11:29 PM »
I see, I wondered how it was possible. I tried comparing it to current models but apparently not that one.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 11:11:29 PM »