Author Topic: Mazda 3 Handbrake Will Not Hold Car On Slight Incline  (Read 2648 times)

Offline mnevis

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Phantom Purle Mica (34N) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sakata
  • Year: 2005
Re: Mazda 3 Handbrake Will Not Hold Car On Slight Incline
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 09:02:36 AM »
Thank you for the replies.   Making the adjustment to the handbrake cable inside the car makes no difference.  The handbrake still will not hold on a slight slope.  If the nut is tightened to a point where it will hold the car the rear wheels are locked.  On slackening the nut to the point where the rear wheels are not locked the handbrake as stated will not hold the car on a sllight slope.   Which component or components are likely to be at fault here?   A stretched handbrake cable?   Has anybody else ever experienced this before?   Brake pads were fitted in 2016 by a garage.  When the car was returned to me I noticed the handbrake did not seem to be as efficient as it was before the new rear brake pads were fitted. 

Offline mnevis

• S Class
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
The rear brake pads have been fitted for 23 months and have covered 32,000 miles.   

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
From what you're saying, it's unlikely the cable's stretched. You can set the handbrake so everything's moving in the correct direction at that point. You said " If the nut is tightened to a point where it will hold the car the rear wheels are locked." I'm assuming you mean when you let off the handbrake, the rear brakes don't release. At this point, is the cable loose at both rear calipers? If the cable releases, then the fault has to be at the caliper. You said "When the car was returned to me I noticed the handbrake did not seem to be as efficient as it was before the new rear brake pads were fitted. " and that suggests to me that the pistons may have been screwed too far in when the new pads were fitted. There's also a strong probability that the handbrake cable wasn't  backed off prior to fitting the new pads then reset after.

Offline mnevis

• S Class
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
Moozmooz.   Thank you for the information.   The car is in the garage at this moment.  I have passed this information on and they say they are aware of this.   A new set of rear brake pads were to be fitted today to see if this rectified the problem.   The old pads have covered just over 30,000 miles in 23 months.   When the car was examined one of the brake discs required renewing so both rear discs are also being replaced.  This is taking place right now so I hope when I get the car back I will have a functioning handbrake.    I will keep the thread informed.  Thank you once again.  This has not destroyed my faith in Mazda 3 cars.  I love the car.  I unfortunately have one that has rusted on the wheel arches so I am looking for another.   A Mazda 3 2.0L Auto would interest me but my options are open except for the fact that I do not like cars finished in white, silver or the colour of my car which is purple regardless of the fancy name Mazda give the colour of this car.   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:31:30 AM by mnevis »

Offline mnevis

• S Class
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »
New pads and rear discs fitted did not cure the problem of no handbrake.  A new handbrake cable was fitted yesterday 24 April and this cured the problem.  With handbrake on the handbrake lever inside the car is quite high but it works.  I am not a novice driver.  I think the handbrake lever is too high.  I am informed the handbrake is self-adjusting.  This is my only observation.  Presumably if the garage had fitted a new handbrake cable when I first took the car to them 4 weeks ago that would have resolved the matter.   The MOT expired today 25 April.  I took the car to the garage 4 weeks ago knowing the handbrake would fail the MOT and to allow plenty of time for any work to be carried out.  The car passed the MOT today 25 April.   I do not think there is anything particularly unusual about the handbrake components and the way they are put together.   I thank the forum members for their help.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 11:43:04 PM »
That doesn't sound right at all. With new discs, pads and cable, you should have a very short pull to get full handbrake. I found this thread that may interest you http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=753.0

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:19:17 AM by moozmooz »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 12:19:38 AM »
The self adjusting handbrake line's a bit misleading. The sliding half of the caliper and the piston move to accommodate pad wear. That's the self adjusting bit. The handbrake mechanism can only move the piston a relatively small distance, so if the handbrake doesn't work and the cable's moving throughout it's length, the brake piston isn't moving far enough to apply pressure to the disc, and that can only be either a fault within the caliper or the pad to disc distance is too great. Setting the handbrake with your foot on the brakes may overcome the latter cause but the handbrake would fail an MOT as it still doesn't work independently.

The other thing I'm curious about is your car's mileage as rear discs don't tend to wear all that fast. I had to replace my Gen 1 front discs at an early age. I can't remember the mileage, but I've run cars up to 150,000 miles and never had to replace discs before.

Offline mnevis

• S Class
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
The rear discs have covered about 65,000 miles in my ownership in the last 3.5 years.  Rear pads have been fitted in that time.  I presume these are the original brake discs from new.  The discs were fitted at 152,000 miles.  The original fault was the handbrake was sticking on earlier this year 2018.   The mechanic diagnosed a faulty handbrake cable.  It looked in good condition when removed.  Mechanic said it may have been freezing on in the sheath that enclosed it during the very cold freezing weather.  The wheel that was affected was the right-hand rear.  A new cable did not cure the fault so mechanic said change rear discs and pads.  He said the discs were 'ropey' and the pads were well worn down.  It was an improvement but to my mind the handbrake efficiency did not feel right.  The car did pass the MOT test the day after these parts were fitted. I am not a novice having been driving for over 50 years and I am former motor trade.   After driving about 1500 miles with the new parts fitted the handbrake seemed to become less effective but worse than that there was a severe vibration when braking at any speed.  The steering wheel vibrated violently and the vibration also seemed to be coming through the seat.   Upon checking the road wheels by touch for heat I found the right-hand rear wheel to be red hot.  The other three were at a normal temperature.   While this was going it seemed that the rear brakes were on.   Driving the car from cold was ok but once warmed up the back brakes seemed to drag.  Seized caliper obviously.   No doubt the original fault.  Replaced the caliper and problem solved.   At another garage, my usual garage man was going on holiday and I could not wait a week for the repair to be carried out.    I have driven about 400 miles since the caliper was fitted and there does not seem to be any warping of the disc.

Admin Note :
I have removed the paragraph about the rear shock absorber mountings as you have already posted this question in another section.

http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=14536.msg115614;topicseen#msg115614

This was done to keep all the replies to this question in the same place.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:55:38 AM by Willpower »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 11:41:52 PM »
Good to hear it's finally fixed, but bloody awful that a succession of "mechanics" couldn't work through the problem logically and rectify the fault correctly at much less cost and inconvenience to you.

Offline mnevis

• S Class
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 02:40:09 AM »
Thank you to all people who took the trouble and time to reply with helpful suggestions and information.  It is very much appreciated.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 02:40:09 AM »