Author Topic: Removing engine cover (mk2, 1.6d) - how?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline red_imps_2003

• Takara Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Removing engine cover (mk2, 1.6d) - how?
« on: March 20, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
I would like to remove the engine cover on my '59' plate 1.6d (diesel) Mazda3 but cannot get it off. I have removed the two nuts circled in the image, but it is held down somehow in the top-right corner (area under larger circle). I cannot slide it left or right, up or down and I can't lift it. I can't feel any clips or anything underneath either. Have had a quick flick through the manual but can't see anything there either. Is there something holding it in place in that area or should I just try a bit more force?

NB: That isn't a pic of my actual vehicle and I am not 100% certain it is exactly the same as my engine/cover but it is a close approximation and at least highlights the areas I am talking about.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:08:15 PM by Willpower »
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline red_imps_2003

• Takara Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Removing engine cover (mk2, 1.6d) - how?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Just to follow up on this. I did manage to remove the engine cover in the end but am unsure exactly how. The bit I circled is held in place by (and I lack the technical terminology here) a 'ball and socket type of thing. I will try and get a pic the next time I get under the bonnet in case it helps anybody else, as I am not good at describing things and I only have my memory to go on at present. Anyhow, I think I just lifted the cover from the left to the right (i.e. towards the battery and fuse box) and it kind-of popped out. Beware, though, when I put the cover back on the 'ball' part knocked the rubber grommet off, which fell down into the tray on the underside of the vehicle (and, I suspect, subsequently bounced out onto a road somewhere). The cover still stays on with the two screws holding it down but I think the grommet prevented a degree of rattle where it secured that side in place.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

Re: Removing engine cover (mk2, 1.6d) - how?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »