Author Topic: New key fob battery  (Read 1554 times)

Offline bikeit

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2012
New key fob battery
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
Car was in for a service today and i mentioned to the mechanic that the alarm was playing up so he asked when was the last time i changed the key fob battery so i informed him about a year ago, so he advised a replacement battery but get the battery from your Mazda dealer, would this make a difference or is a he correct?

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: New key fob battery
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
I would honestly say no.  The battery that Mazda would give you would be identical to one that you could source from elsewhere. Nothing special or "Mazda" about it. 

On a slightly different aspect of your post.  I cannot think of why the fob battery has any bearing on the alarm. But that's a different discussion. Perhaps you could do another post with a more apt title, detailing what the problem is.
And as for longevity of the batteries. I am still using the same battery in my fob that the car was supplied with 14 years ago.  Yes I know that it all depends of amount of use, but for 12 of those years the car was used every day.  So all in all I would say the mechanic was just spouting a load of BS because he didn't know how to answer you.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:08:29 AM »
If you mean you got a key battery warning on the dash, I'd take out the battery and check the voltage. I had that alarm a couple of weeks ago, checked the battery and it was perfect. Haven't seen the alarm since. I think the manual recommends changing the battery annually, which is rubbish. My 2005 3 is still on the original battery, so I'd hope my 2016 key battery would have a bit to go yet.

The battery supplied with my key is Panasonic, so not unique to Mazda.

Being charitable to the mechanic rather than suspecting he was after a quick easy profit by charging you £10 for a £2 battery, he may have been meaning be careful where you source your battery from. I would hope Mazda would be careful where they get their batteries from.
There are as many or more counterfeit batteries on ebay as genuine, and I've seen suggestions that Duracell in particular are as often counterfeit as genuine in some high street outlets.

I got some counterfeit Maxell 2032s a while back. The first clue was that one was leaking. Looking closer at the packaging, there were spelling and grammatical errors, the date was far too long, and there were obvious faults in the packaging. But if you were given the battery on it's own without a genuine one to compare it with, you wouldn't have a hope in hell of spotting the fake.

Offline yarb

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »
Had to replace my key fob battery in the fob I used daily back last July which was just under 3 years old, my car has keyless entry and requires only the fob close to unlock the car and in the car to start the car. When the battery was flat/low voltage the car would not unlock.  Used my second/spare fob for a couple of days until I replaced the battery, then went back to using it with no problems (there is a way to start the car with a flat battery fob)
Was going away for a 7 week extended trip just after Christmas so gave my daughter the spare fob so she could start the car ever couple of weeks, the battery in the fob was flat so changed the battery and all was fine, this fob had only been used for the couple of days during July.
These fobs for my keyless entry car are always pulsing a signal looking to link to the car to unlock it and hence the battery will go flat after a period of time even if not used.  This is also why car thieves can boost/clone the signal from your fob and steal your car as no key is required.
Hope this makes sense
Made it to retirement  :)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:37:04 AM »
These fobs for my keyless entry car are always pulsing a signal looking to link to the car to unlock it and hence the battery will go flat after a period of time even if not used.  This is also why car thieves can boost/clone the signal from your fob and steal your car as no key is required.
Hope this makes sense

That makes complete sense and of course applies to keyless entry fobs that are constantly transmitting.  The type of fob that the OP has i.e on a 2007,  car does not, and the battery is only in use when the electronics transmit upon the press of a button.  Therefore the battery will last considerably longer. Certainly much longer that the 1 year the mechanic suggested.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
Straight from the manual

"Battery life is about one year. Replace the battery with a new one if the KEY indicator light (green) flashes in the instrument cluster. Replacing the battery about once a year is recommended because the KEY warning light/indicator light may not illuminate or flash depending on the rate of battery depletion."

This would suggest Mazda bought dodgy batteries off ebay :)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »
In that case I must have "Super Batteries"  14 years and still going.  CR2025's .    No mention in my manual about life.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
Gotta say I've had one a year in mine since I had it so perhaps the gen 2 is different.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »