Author Topic: Ebay SatNav SD cards  (Read 2970 times)

Offline G17jrd

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015

Offline G17jrd

• S Class
Re: Ebay SatNav SD cards
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
Try this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-2-3-6-CX-3-CX3-MX5-SKYACTIVE-Connect-SD-Card-NAVIGATION-MAP-2017-2018/152971696520?hash=item239dd2d988:g:M74AAOSw5T9axUCi

Thanks willpower...link worked....gonna buy and cross fingers it works

Well SD card arrived today.... sat nav now appears on screen but has home as being in birmingham  :o
put my postcode in and it wants to take me there...yep you guessed it..from birmingham.... as the sellers advert stated that they can only be married to 1 car and the item is brand new and that he can guarantee that it has never been used i have lodged a request for a refund... i await his reply.. >:(

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »
Have you set HOME as your address.  It can be reset. Say for instance if you moved house.   Go into Favourites  Select HOME and edit.

Go to https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/product-features-and-manuals/#jMkK6wiPadwZts82.97

Scroll down to Product Features & Manuals

Select your car then -- Connected Car --  then -- Navigation. Watch the video from 1:38   it shows you how

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Wishy14

• TS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »
The new SD card only registers to your vehicle after a set number of miles. Go in to settings and see if the card has a VIN number already registered. If so it is a second hand card, get your money back.
I think it's about 70 miles before it registers.
^W^
Soul Red Mazda 3 Sport Nav 2lt 2014
Red Mazda Eunos roadster 1.6 Auto 1992

Offline G17jrd

• S Class
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 05:52:22 PM »
Have you set HOME as your address.  It can be reset. Say for instance if you moved house.   Go into Favourites  Select HOME and edit.

Go to https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/product-features-and-manuals/#jMkK6wiPadwZts82.97

Scroll down to Product Features & Manuals

Select your car then -- Connected Car --  then -- Navigation. Watch the video from 1:38   it shows you how

i understand if you move home it could be reset... but if it has been registered in a different car it will be locked to that vin number won't it?... and i didn't buy car from mazda dealer...one of the flags on the screen is faded out...i am guessing this is the home button?

Offline Wishy14

• TS Class
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »
Yeah it is the SD card that stores all the data not the vehicle. So once the card has been used passed the set mileage it is locked to that VIN number. Can't be used in any other vehicle to my knowledge. So the fact that the maps load suggests it is not registered. Check settings.
If VIN is different then obviously used!
^W^
Soul Red Mazda 3 Sport Nav 2lt 2014
Red Mazda Eunos roadster 1.6 Auto 1992

Offline G17jrd

• S Class
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
Yeah it is the SD card that stores all the data not the vehicle. So once the card has been used passed the set mileage it is locked to that VIN number. Can't be used in any other vehicle to my knowledge. So the fact that the maps load suggests it is not registered. Check settings.
If VIN is different then obviously used!

Update** Ok i deleted the "birmingham" address as the home destination.... then deleted all the previous locations that have been travelled to... then deleted all the saved favourites one by one.... then added my address as the home destination...switched system off then when i restarted nav it shows the map for my area...so i hope that is it all sorted... but as i said before it shouldn't have been put up for sale as never been used as clearly it had been..whether it marries to my car will have to be a waiting game.

Offline yarb

• Takara Class
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »
I would suggest for security that you don’t enter your exact address but somewhere in the local area, I have set my to be the turning I use of the ring road
Made it to retirement  :)

Offline G17jrd

• S Class
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
I would suggest for security that you don’t enter your exact address but somewhere in the local area, I have set my to be the turning I use of the ring road
thanks..i only did street... now that i deleted all the previous ****** the seller was photo proof and at one time said i was a scammer and hadnt even recieved the item yet...so he was a bit surprised when i read out his return address to him.. ;D

now its i  am sending it back because i found a cheaper version pfft!
even offered him a straight swap even though he has lowered his price now... but if he continues with the crap i will escalate it into a full refund

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
What you have to bear in mind is you're buying a "genuine" or "factory oem" item from ebay.

The cards could be stolen, as I doubt that Mazda are selling them freely in Estonia, Bulgaria etc, but it's more likely that they're cloned, either from unused cards or used cards that have been reset to "new". Not particularly difficult once you've done the legwork.

I've had counterfeit batteries from ebay that were virtually identical to genuine cells. What gave them away was that one was leaking which made me look closer at the packaging information, and checked some details with the manufacturer.

Cloning cards is far easier. No manufacturing, other than printing a tiny label that hasn't got enough information on it to get wrong.

But as Mazda don't seem to have put any security information on the cards, these clones will almost certainly function exactly the same as the real thing.

Offline G17jrd

• S Class
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
What you have to bear in mind is you're buying a "genuine" or "factory oem" item from ebay.

The cards could be stolen, as I doubt that Mazda are selling them freely in Estonia, Bulgaria etc, but it's more likely that they're cloned, either from unused cards or used cards that have been reset to "new". Not particularly difficult once you've done the legwork.

I've had counterfeit batteries from ebay that were virtually identical to genuine cells. What gave them away was that one was leaking which made me look closer at the packaging information, and checked some details with the manufacturer.

Cloning cards is far easier. No manufacturing, other than printing a tiny label that hasn't got enough information on it to get wrong.

But as Mazda don't seem to have put any security information on the cards, these clones will almost certainly function exactly the same as the real thing.
yeah i was thinking it was a cloned card as like you say mazda aint gonna sell them for £60 on ebay while quoting you £300-£600 over the phone...seller sent me this message today.
https://i.gyazo.com/9d056d17e6bc1a91ac788729156e7394.png

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »
The 70 mile thing seems to be the accepted perceived wisdom. Whether it's true or not, I've no idea. I can't remember back to when I got my car. The one thing that strikes me as odd about 70 miles is that it's 43.75 kilometres, and I would have expected a trigger mileage to be in a round number of kilometres.

Couple of things you could try though.

Have a look at the files on the SD card. All files will have a date associated with them when they were either created or last modified. You might get some clues from that. It's a while since I had a look at the directory structure, but from memory, it didn't look all that complex/deep, so changes should be obvious.

The other thing I thought about was to lock/write protect the card using the lock switch on the side of the card and see if you could change the home address . If you could, then it would indicate that the home address was held on the car rather than the SD card. But, the manual states "When inserting the SD card, never move the slider on the SD card to the LOCK position. If the slider is set to LOCK, the SD card cannot be read and the navigation system will not operate."

Saying the SD card cannot be read doesn't make sense as write protecting/locking doesn't/shouldn't block reads, only writes, so it looks like something is being written to the SD card.

The manual also says "This SD card is valid for use in only one vehicle. Never use it in another vehicle. If the SD card is used first in one vehicle and then in another, the navigation system for either one of the vehicles may become inoperable." , which again would indicate that something's being written to the SD card.

Offline G17jrd

• S Class
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
The 70 mile thing seems to be the accepted perceived wisdom. Whether it's true or not, I've no idea. I can't remember back to when I got my car. The one thing that strikes me as odd about 70 miles is that it's 43.75 kilometres, and I would have expected a trigger mileage to be in a round number of kilometres.

Couple of things you could try though.

Have a look at the files on the SD card. All files will have a date associated with them when they were either created or last modified. You might get some clues from that. It's a while since I had a look at the directory structure, but from memory, it didn't look all that complex/deep, so changes should be obvious.

The other thing I thought about was to lock/write protect the card using the lock switch on the side of the card and see if you could change the home address . If you could, then it would indicate that the home address was held on the car rather than the SD card. But, the manual states "When inserting the SD card, never move the slider on the SD card to the LOCK position. If the slider is set to LOCK, the SD card cannot be read and the navigation system will not operate."

Saying the SD card cannot be read doesn't make sense as write protecting/locking doesn't/shouldn't block reads, only writes, so it looks like something is being written to the SD card.

The manual also says "This SD card is valid for use in only one vehicle. Never use it in another vehicle. If the SD card is used first in one vehicle and then in another, the navigation system for either one of the vehicles may become inoperable." , which again would indicate that something's being written to the SD card.
Hi moozmooz, thanks for the reply... i have deleted all the previous history from car's sat nav... wish they had a delete all button :)
and it seems to have installed my address as the home..so hopefully through use it eventually over rides the old destinations that still remain on the sat nav.. apart from that everything is working on sat nav..so here's hoping

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »