Author Topic: 80 to 108 !!!  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Canada_Bob

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2015
Re: 80 to 108 !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
I looked in two owners manuals:
Thanks for taking the time...

No mention in either manual about alloy versus steel wheels but if any models came with steel I would have thought the torque should be different.
Makes sense to me...

Mine has alloys but no idea what torque has been used.
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in what the mechanic was working to, I've yet to see a mechanic calibrate or even regulate the torque on his nut runner. Being a retired Airworthiness Inspector the "one size fits all" mentality doesn't sit well with me...

PS I just noticed the OP's name and flag!
Aye, and thereby hangs a tale...

PS2 Google found some tyre supplier recommendations:
Continental Tyres chart (2015, USA)            Torque in Nm
                                                          Steel rim     Alloy rim **
Mazda all current types – except *        103             103
* CX-5, 3 2013>, 6 2013>                     128                –
* MX-5                                                    98               98
** Please observe different specifications of rim manufacturer where required.
Pure Tyre (2018, UK)
Wheel Nut Torque setting for: 09 - 14 Mazda Mazda 3
(All tyre options)
Torque:  103 NM,  76.0 ft-lb
So 103 N.m falls nicely into the 2010 set of Mazda values whereas the Continental 128 N.m for steel is in the middle of the 2013 range. I would be inclined to go for 103 N.m unless I found specific advice to go higher for my alloy rims.

More confused than ever now  ;) 76ft/lbs would be lower than the minimum torque in the M3 Manual  :-\

I guess asking Mazda would only finish up referring us back to Chapter 7 verse 19...

Odd how this curiosity hasn't been run to ground before ?

Offline Canada_Bob

• S Class
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
Didn't need to sweat is anyway, took the car in today for the Oil & Filter, asked the shop Foreman what torque their air wrenches were set at.
He told me 50 ft/lbs, went on to say they just run the nuts up with them and then they use a digital stick wrench set to whatever their computer {search} comes up with for any particular car or what the customer requests within the range.

I was stunned, but the guy went on to say he'd worked for Quick Fit for years so he knew how important it is to get the torque right...
He showed me the digistick, cost him almost £300 from Slap On Tools, expensive but a nice piece of kit though. He set it to 90 ft/lbs and the job was done by one of the blokes in the shop, good to see the nuts were torqued in the right pattern too.

That's the problem with getting work done on a car, some places are spot on some are primitive, thankfully I dropped on the right shop today.

The mechanic who did the job did mention that the back brake pads were getting close, but the front ones are fine, that surprised me, I'd have thought the front ones would wear our faster than the rear ones ? add to that, seems a bit early as the car only has 15k on it, any thoughts on that ? The car doesn't trailer anything, most the time there's just me and a Staffie copilot in the car.

Thanks to ALL for your feedback, it's been valued and appreciated.

Canada Bob.

Offline bobmax

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 06:20:11 PM »
[PS I just noticed the OP's name and flag! I wonder if the wheel type varies between N America and Europe. However, the 2010 manual I quoted was a USA download but the 2013 one was a UK download.
Err, well, bit of an explanation required there Misar, although originally from Lancashire {and back there now} I lived/worked in Canada for 31 years, during that time when I came back for visits the lads "back home" awarded me the nom de plume of "Canada Bob" and it kinda stuck  :)

Have to say I've been called worse in my time  ;) resulting in someone rigging my car {a Mercury Montego} with 6oz of C4 plastic explosive, thankfully the RCMP discovered it and defused {removed the 5v detonator} from the C4, if it had gone off I'd have been spread thinner than the paint on the car...

Interesting, thanks Canada Bob  8)
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children

Offline Canada_Bob

• S Class
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »
Check your PM there's a link to that saga attached...

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »