Author Topic: Finally fixed my rattle/Broken rear coil spring  (Read 2162 times)

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
  • I guess I should update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.4L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2008
Finally fixed my rattle/Broken rear coil spring
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »
For a while now (actually since I got the car a year ago) I've had an annoying rattle coming from the right rear when going over bumps and I FINALLY got around to checking it out and found it was that undocumented feature of breaking rear coil springs....  ;D

Took the wheel off and got out my trusty rubber mallet and went a-beating around all brake and suspension bits and found the culprit.. About 3 inches of the lower part broken off..

I've seen a few of these issues on this forum and on a lot of the US forums as well so it might just be a feature :-)

Seems to be an old break though looking at the corrosion on the break - strange it wasn't picked up at the last NCT (MOT to my mates over the sea) 3 weeks ago...

Will do the replacement when the parts arrive - seems like a simple enough job with the right tools...  :) :)

Offline audioslaven

• Takara Class
  • Go on an save yourself, take it out on me!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
Re: Finally fixed my rattle/Broken rear coil spring
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:19:54 PM »
For a while now (actually since I got the car a year ago) I've had an annoying rattle coming from the right rear when going over bumps and I FINALLY got around to checking it out and found it was that undocumented feature of breaking rear coil springs....  ;D

Took the wheel off and got out my trusty rubber mallet and went a-beating around all brake and suspension bits and found the culprit.. About 3 inches of the lower part broken off..

I've seen a few of these issues on this forum and on a lot of the US forums as well so it might just be a feature :-)

Seems to be an old break though looking at the corrosion on the break - strange it wasn't picked up at the last NCT (MOT to my mates over the sea) 3 weeks ago...

Will do the replacement when the parts arrive - seems like a simple enough job with the right tools...  :) :)

This is funny as I did mine a week ago. You need to remove the drop link and one bolt holding where the axle meets the wheel rim. I used an air gun to wip it off. I put the car up on axle stands and the trolley jack to push the new spring back in place when fitting it back. Very straight forward job

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
  • I guess I should update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.4L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: S
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »
Thanks for the info  :D

Seems easy enough to do. Will let you know when it's done...

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »