Author Topic: Engine Under Cover / Splash Gaurd rear fittings  (Read 1504 times)

Offline SRRAE

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2007
Engine Under Cover / Splash Gaurd rear fittings
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »
Hi,

About a year ago I took the engine under cover off to do an oil change.  I didn't put it back on because many of the metal clips broke. I've only just got round to replacing the but I cant remember how the back of the cover is held in place.  There are 2 large holes in each corner about 1cm in diameter, way to big for any bolt.

What goes in there?  Should they be large push pins?

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
Re: Engine Under Cover / Splash Gaurd rear fittings
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:48:31 PM »
When I first did an oil change on my 2005 3, the perceived wisdom was that the under tray had to be removed. Halfway through removing said tray, having snapped off a couple of the bolts, I discovered, to the accompaniment of much cursing, that there was absolutely no need to remove the tray as the drain cleared the back of the tray, and there was a convenient hole for dropping the filter through.
Since then, I have avoided perceived wisdom like the plague and gone back to first principles - have a good look and a feel about.

I can't remember the exact details of the fittings, and in any case, mine may not have been original, as the tray, along with much of the front and radiators, was replaced after an encounter with a gigantic badger.

Replacement bolts? No way. Cable ties. I've had no rattles or vibration, and I know that if I ever need it off, a couple of snips and it's done.

The link below takes you to something that rings a bell - rubber insert and plug arrangement - but it's a few years back so I can't be certain.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Screws-Deluxe-Push-Chasis-Black/dp/B003JBOBOI

Offline hanix

• TS Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:42:22 AM »
I think that the current standard Mazda pushpins are about that diameter. There is one to remove from the filter access cover on the Gen3;

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:42:22 AM »