Author Topic: The £500 car project!  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Drewcole81

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
The £500 car project!
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
Hello all, it's been a while since I have owned a Mazda, having owned several MX5's in various states of tuning and modifications... After needing a change of car from the MX5, due to need rear seats for a small human, I opted for a change in brand.

I'm not really a fan of new cars, I prefer something of age that can be tinkered with, but can still be relied upon.. to a degree.. So I picked up a 2003 Seat Leon Cupra, a year or so ago which has been my daily driver. Last month it started to eat it's own Turbo, and is now off the road whilst I pull the engine and rebuild into something more interesting.

So... last week, I found myself in need of a run around, I set myself a challenge to buy something for no more than £500... first of all, it was going to be a throw away car and I wanted to keep money for the Cupra.

After thinking about many large Volvo's, Audi's, Alfa's and other exotic beasts... I came across a 2004 Mazda 3 Sport 2 miles down the road, so thought it would be rude not to go and look.

I did just that, and bought it.. without really even looking at it!

Well, I did drive it and pushed some buttons etc.. all seemed fine, the seller was nice, it had a years MOT, new brakes, new rear shocks and a good Main dealer service history up to 120k. Now on 135k it has been serviced at a local garage since.

It's not clean, it needs new front arches and some tidying on the sills... but everything works, it drives well.... and has now become a permanent member of our household as the family car, so the Cupra can be my toy which I can make into a more track focused car.

Some pictures:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:02:42 AM by Drewcole81 »
2004 Mazda 3 Sport
2003 Seat Leon Cupra

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
Re: The £500 car project!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum. A little bit of tidying up and she'll look fine :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Drewcole81

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »
Thanks, it has a few issues which I've been trying to search the answers for, but nothing too drastic, just annoying mainly!

The one that has me stumped at the moment, is I have to leave the fog light bevel on otherwise it sounds an alarm and leaves the 'Lights On' indicator on the dash illuminated even with the keys out.
2004 Mazda 3 Sport
2003 Seat Leon Cupra

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »