Author Topic: what tyres?  (Read 28682 times)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: what tyres?
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
Finally got to play on these...

Just great, some tcs, some abs but only the odd helpful intervention rather than the systems going mental and doing nothing useful at all.

Very impressed indeed..only 2 wheel drive car that made it.

Offline amar1994

• TS2 Class
  • Zoom-Zoom
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Tamura
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
Nice  :)

I'm on 7year old 15" continental ts850 winter tires(195/65),and mazda never had any problem anywhere,it seems that nice handling in dry also corresponds in the wet/snow.If I had to pick one bad thing about our cars in snow it would be the quick steering  :D

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2021, 06:15:31 PM »
Think the main surprise for me is the ABS and TCS doing something useful.

On the summers on a slippy uphill it was 50/50 if the TCS stopped you dead by attempting to stop wheelspin and cutting power until the car just stopped instead.

ABS wise it would just go into a full on spasm where all braking force was removed trying to keep wheels rolling.

With new tyres on they actually have a useful part to play and you can just hold consistent pedal positions and let the computer adjust as required.

Obviously smooth inputs are good, the less you disturb the car the better but if you misjudge it can sweep it up quite well and it feels controllable. Previously it felt like driving a 1300kg sledge that didn't want to move and once moving it didn't want to stop or change direction.

Well 4 days later...

Got me through this!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 03:24:13 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• Sports Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2021, 03:21:47 PM »
As regards the TC, I always remember Honest John from the Telegraph saying that you should trun it off in snowy/icy conditions because the system cannot cope.  For me with my car that was originally destined for the Continent (an unused hire car in Cyprus which was then sold onto Motorpoint, then me), this doesn't matter as it has no TC or stability control (the UK spec car does have it - mine has front fog lamps instead for some reason) and to this day I've never had any serious problems driving on (the admitedly small amount of) snow we get in Herts/East Anglia.

My (terrible) OEM Bridgestone ER30 tyres drove ok in them, but not in the wet when they reached 6yo, with the rear end of the car dangerously braking away when cornering in the wet.  Sadly due to the coof Police presence (stopping people 'driving out of the area without a good reason'), I have not been able to use my Michelin CC+s in the recent snowy conditions (not good for the battery to just pop to the local shops - only 2-3 mins away) as I couldn't justify the risk of an accident driving 15 miles to the next town to go grocery shopping just to test the tyres' snow capabilities.  In previous years the snow was absent!

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2021, 06:48:35 PM »
ESP and TCS are designed to work in snow.. but summer tyres aren't.

They get into a closed loop situation generally. Tyre slips on snow, it applies brake and closes throttle little, you put your foot down to counteract the apparent slowing..it slips more and cuts more. Repeat until the drag of the snow brings the car to halt. Brakes work the other way and with each slip force is removed. The reason the work like this though is lack of absolute grip.

You put decent tyres on you have grip so the system interventions can be more measured. The times the TCS has stopped me in snow.. switching it off yielded the same result I.e. failure to move. In the old days I'd hop out with a shovel or pop the tyre socks on to get going again.

One unitenional benefit of the TCS would be if you're spinning one wheel and the other has grip, in braking the spinning one it'll shove power via the diff to the other one. Poor man's electronic diff lock if you will.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:27:14 PM by StevenRB45 »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2021, 06:48:35 PM »