Author Topic: what tyres?  (Read 15799 times)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: what tyres?
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2019, 07:34:53 PM »
Unfortunately I'm across the valley from Consett (3rd highest market town in the UK wayhey!) a place famous for snow when everyone else has rain.

I'm about 100 odd feet lower on the other valley top but the weather is pretty similar. In the 2010 we had snow on the ground from mid December to February and it was below minus 5 for a full week in that time.

Not had a really bad one since but I don't remember a year without at least a week.

Just had my first trip on them at 3 degrees with plenty of standing water, not snow and ice but felt nice and secure. Even just pulling out of steep junctions in cold & wet might start the front end scrabbling and set the tcs off on the old ones. Handling feels a little less pointy but was to be expected on softer rubber, NVH is improved on the flipside with less roar (they are officially 1 DB quieter than my old ones).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:07:57 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
The weather up this way is truly bizarre. I think it was the same event in 2010 you are referring to that I experienced something I will never forget. I drove to the Tesco in Rowlands Gill to get a couple of pints of milk and a loaf of bread one evening and on the return leg the road was damp at the bottom of Busty Bank (where the entrance to Gibside is) but by the time I reached the fork near the top of the hill there was so much snow on the road that the car ahead of me (who was driving far too slowly and lost all momentum) got stuck in it, as did I as I had to pull up behind him. We only got going again because a Good Samaritan gave us a push to get going again. I've never known anything like it!

Then a couple of years back I set of with my family from Winlaton to Broom House Farm one Sunday and, despite the snow only being a powdery dusting in Winlaton when we left, we had to turn around at Harelaw because the snow was too deep there and the road becoming slippery.

So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline speedy mazda

• Sports Class
  • zoooom zooom zoooooooooooooooom
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2019, 10:50:47 PM »
Has anyone bothered with winter tyres😀 I’ve got a spare set of alloys and was looking at reviews on the Nexen Winguard sport 2 winter tyres. They are just over 60 notes each plus fitting

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Has anyone bothered with winter tyres😀 I’ve got a spare set of alloys and was looking at reviews on the Nexen Winguard sport 2 winter tyres. They are just over 60 notes each plus fitting

Aren't Nexen a budget brand though?  Tyre Reviews just did a comparative test between a budget brand and a top brand (Nokkian) for winter tyres for both a standard car and tyre combo (Golf with 205/55 R16) and a marger car (a Volvo) with wider, lower profile tyres with larger rims.  Needless to say, the budget one didn't do that well and is likely to wear far more quickly, as they mostly get the grip they do have at the expense of tyre life by softening the compound.

To that end, you may find that you may be able to get some decent deals on winter tyres at present due to higher demand.  It really depends on where you live and how often you get snow/ice as well as how bad that gets, as to whether it's worth buying a set of winter tyres and changing them back and forth with a summer set twice a year.

Where I am in the SE/East Anglia (NE Hertfordshire), it's relatively flat terrain and we don't generally get that much snow on average (and it's not that heavy when it comes), so all-season tyres (and more summer-biased ones at that) are more suited to the conditions, whereas the further North you go and/or in the more hilly/remote areas, the more winter-biased versions and eventually having specific winter tyres may well be worthwhile to keep you mobile.

If you do get winter tyres (and all season ones), just check that they are allowable via the minimum ratings for the car (load and especially speed) and your insurer is onboard (they shouldn't charge you extra).

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »
To that end, you may find that you may be able to get some decent deals on winter tyres at present due to higher demand.

Think that ship sailed with the first cold weather.

I ordered mine from black circles,  at the time they were 108 quid minus 40 quid if you bought 4. So less than 400 for the set.

Currently the price is 136 per tyre, the 40 quid offer is still on but that's still a rise of 120 quid in a week if you use the offer for a set of 4.

Offline speedy mazda

• Sports Class
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2019, 09:13:44 PM »
Did you buy winter tyres then Steven ?.hi Andy I found a good review here https://alltyretests.com/nexen-winguard-sport-2-test-review/.I thought if I can get a good set of winter tyres cheap maybe worthwhile .

Offline speedy mazda

• Sports Class
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2019, 09:31:07 PM »

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
Did you buy winter tyres then Steven ?.hi Andy I found a good review here https://alltyretests.com/nexen-winguard-sport-2-test-review/.I thought if I can get a good set of winter tyres cheap maybe worthwhile .

I bought a winter biased all-season tyre (Goodyear Vector 4 season gen 2s) as I didn't fancy swapping wheels and tyres and didn't have a spare set of wheels.

Some reviews https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92866/goodyear-vector-4seasons-gen-2

https://youtu.be/pe-gkTCOs7E

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »