Author Topic: what tyres?  (Read 10170 times)

Offline RichardC

• Takara Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2014
Re: what tyres?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »

Engineer Andy
Sadly, I didn't get anything like that sort of mileage out of my ER30s on my Gen1, nor from the Michelin Pilot Sports I replaced them with, so I'm beginning to wonder if road surface texture, and maybe even climatic conditions, could have an impact.

You suffered the same wheel corrosion/leaking tyre problem as I had on my Gen1. This seems to be relatively common and coupled with low/ultra low profile tyres which aren't kept up to pressure, carcase damage and increased wear is inevitable. I have a neighbour with an Audi A4 estate on ultra low profile (rubber band) tyres. At times, the car looks like it's sittting on the wheels.

The pimple speed humps haven't had any effect on my cars - yet. Whether it's because I take them gently, or possibly the profile of the ones I regularly meet, I don't know. I know of someone who hit the same bumps regularly and he swore blind they wrecked his suspension, wheel alignment..... in fact everything up to and including his furry dice.

My parents live in an area with loads of road humps - both the standar type and the pimple ones.  They do very low mileage (less than 3k miles pa) and yet they've gone through the equivalent of a set of tyres on both their current and previous Fiestas (mid 90s and mid 2000s versions) every three years or 9k miles.  My Dad's always saying at their car's service a tyre had to be replaced because of uneven wear.  They've now taken to driving the long way round the houses to the shops to avoid all the humps, though its not so easy to avoid the potholes at the local Tesco or on some main roads.

I've probably been very lucky that my car hasn't thus far needed a wheel alignemnt in 12 years - I thought it might've done as I was working in an area for about 10 months that I used a route with pimple humps as a cut through on my way home from work.  Unlike some drivers, I did (like you) slow down, which hopefully helped to a degree.

As regards the tread depth on tyres, I think most summer tyres are either 7mm or 8mm to start with - performance ones perhaps being 7mm for some reason.  Winter and maybe all-season tyres may be higher as they wear quicker outside of the winter season - I didn't check my (all-season) CrossClimates just fitted.  I should've changed my OEM ER30s after 25k when they were just noisy but acceptable (just) in the wet.

By the time they got to 40k/6yo, they were terrible - on some surfaces it felt like they were flat.  I think you're right about Mazda alloys - they seem to corrode quite a bit (mine looked ok on the surface, but obviously something was amiss as all four tyres needed pumping up once a week, and the garage said it wasn't the valves - I did have a problem with one wheel 6 years ago when the previous tyres were fitted, so it was probably that just getting worse.  If the OEM 16in alloys weren't so expensive, I would've kept the existing tyres instead of downsizing from 16in to 15in with higher sidewalls.  It actually cost me less to do that and replace all four wheels and tyres than just the 16in OEM alloys on their own!

It sounds to me that your parents straddle the pimple type speed humps thus causing (unseen) wear on the inside of all 4 tyres. I go over 10 of these almost on a daily basis and I notice that just about everybody straddles them. I Know 2 people who were shocked to find their cars fail the MoT because of wear on the inside. My wife recently traded her car in and when the salesman was trying to assess the car's value he ran his hands round the inside of all 4 tyres to detect roughness. Read Honest John on the subject.
Sunbeam Talbot 90
Sunbeam Rapier
Hillman Avenger GT
MGBGT
Hillman Hunter
Triumph 2.5PI
Cavalier S Reg
Sierra A Reg
Sierra F Reg
Cavalier H Reg
Cavalier M Reg
Vectra P Reg
Subaru Impreza Turbo W Reg
Mercedes SLK 230 51 Reg
Mercedes C180K 07Reg
Mercedes C180K 59 Reg
Mercedes C180 CGI 61 Reg

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2018, 12:15:33 AM »
I have to negotiate 5 or 6 sets of bumps to get to/from the main road, one triple and the rest doubles. Less than a mile away, there are a couple of full width humps, which are far safer and, ironically, easier/cheaper to install and maintain.

There's no doubt that the cushion type have the potential to do significant damage to the inside tread and sidewall, especially when they've started to break up, and I'd imagine the salesman was also looking for bulges, which have become much more common with low/ultralow profile tyres and thinner side walls.

I managed to stop a car a while back and the guy was amazed at the size of the bulge on his rear offside tyre. It must have been scraping past his suspension. He said the back of the car felt weird, yet he was still driving along merrily, not having bothered to look. No spare, so carried on his merry way, complete with kids in the back of the car.

In hindsight, I should probably have called the police. He was an accident looking for a victim.

Offline kneeknack

• S Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 05:59:40 PM »
This question may have been raised elsewhere - I'd be surprised if it hasn't - but I can't find it if it has...

My 2014 2.2 Sport Nav has 215/45x18 Dunlops as standard, but they're getting down to their minimum and now I fancy a decent all-season set to replace them. But the options are very limited - none of the top-rated options (according to the reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk) are available in that size.

So I'd like to fit 225/40's. I understand the impact on the speedo, gearing, etc but the changes in overall dimensions are negligible and my insurance company says it won't affect my premium.

Is anyone using 225/40x18's? Or 225/45's perhaps. If so have you had any problems?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:06:30 PM by kneeknack »

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
This question may have been raised elsewhere - I'd be surprised if it hasn't - but I can't find it if it has...

My 2014 2.2 Sport Nav has 215/45x18 Dunlops as standard, but they're getting down to their minimum and now I fancy a decent all-season set to replace them. But the options are very limited - none of the top-rated options (according to the reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk) are available in that size.

So I'd like to fit 225/40's. I understand the impact on the speedo, gearing, etc but the changes in overall dimensions are negligible and my insurance company says it won't affect my premium.

Is anyone using 225/40x18's? Or 225/45's perhaps. If so have you had any problems?

Thanks.

Going to 225/40 R18 will result in a difference on the speedo (and odometer) of 2.07% (it would over-read speed and distance);
Going to 225/45 R18, the difference would be 1.38% the other way (under-reading): essentially true 70mph (or at least as it was with your OEM setup) would now read 69mph.

The maximum (legal) permissible difference from the OEM wheel/tyre size (rolling diameter) is +/- 2.5%.  Its generally preferably to go the 'over-reading' route (225/40), but just to be clear, the new tyre cannot be the starting point for another % difference next time.  You'll need to check with Mazda (your local main dealer - Mazda UK will likely just direct you to them or pass the query on) if getting a wider tyre is possible as it'll need to fit on the OEM rims, not impinge on the brakes/TPMS or stick out from the wheel arches (offset).

If both are possible, I'd go, at least as regards tyre availability and price, for the 225/40 R18, as you can get both the Michellin CrossClimate+ (which as you've read, I have now had fitted on my mk1 1.6 petrol TS2 - very nice thus far) and the Goodyear Vector 4Seacsons Gen-2 (still very good - better than the CC in the wet and snow/ice, but not as good in the dry and outside the winter); only the CC is available in 225/45 R18 and is £50+ a tyre more expensive at around £175 each (ouch!).

Check out what's possible on tyre website like BlackCircles and others - their are alternative all-season tyres, and you see how well they do in tests on www.tyrereviews.co.uk  even comparing some of the top all-season tyres to summer tyres as well.  I'd say if you live in an area that gets snow quite bad for more than 2 weeks a year, then go with the Goodyears, otherwise the Michelins are the better choice between the two.  Other makes may be a bit cheaper, but aren't as good overall and especially when there's no snow (they are more winter biased), and don't last as long.  The Continental all-season tyre is half way between the Goodyear (winter biased) and Michelin (summer biased) tyres, but is not widely available in the UK (yet) and is more expensive, as well as being somewhat noiser/less comfortable (apparently quite common for that brand - great performance, not so good on the comfort side [see review site]).

Note that you will likely find the ride to be firmer (stiffer, smaller sidewalls - less cushion of rubber and air) than before with the change to 225/40 R18 as the tyre sidewall will decrease from 96.75mm to 90mm.  You suspension, wheels and tyres will also be more susceptible to wear/damage from potholes, kerbing and speed humps (especially the cushion-type) as a result of the lower sidewall height, so you may need to slow down a bit more going over poor surfaces or take avoiding action more than before (a little anyway).  The all-season tyres are softer than summer tyres, so that should help comfort a bit, though they will be XL [higher load - stiffer sidewalls] to cope with the low profile.  They won't last quite a long as summer tyres as they are of a softer compound to work better in snow/cold conditions.

Unfortunately, Mazda have not been particularly smart (in my opinion) in going for their current range of wheel and tyre combos on the 3 (205/60 R16V [for SE-Ls and below as standard] and 215/45 R18W [for Sport models] - equivalent rolling diameter) as these are both quite rare tyre sizes that few other manufacturers use in their cars, hence why there's little choice and they are very expensive.

There's more choice for the 225/45 tyre, but they are even more expensive for some reason - it may be that they are used on premium cars where owners don't care much about the price of tyres.  The 225/40 R18W is far more common, as its the equivalent up-size tyre to the very common 205/55 R16 (the OEM on my car and many C-sector models over the last 10-15 years).

Best of luck.

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 07:24:03 PM »
Really did not like the Dunlops on my 2014 Sport 3, but as while were more than legal I have had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's fitted to the front. Seem pretty good so far, certainly less road noise but not really tried them in the wet yet.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Really did not like the Dunlops on my 2014 Sport 3, but as while were more than legal I have had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's fitted to the front. Seem pretty good so far, certainly less road noise but not really tried them in the wet yet.

The Pilot Sport's are a very sporty tyre with a larger contact area (they look squared off at edges) and so will be less comfortable than a similar tyre with rounded off edges, but you get great grip.  Michelins are normally good on most fronts though (as I'm finding with my new CrossClimates), which is why they are normally quite pricey.  I would keep an eye out on the Tyre Reviews website for new tyres coming to market, given yours (presumably the rare size combo18in tyres) may only last a couple of years or 20k miles tops, given they are high performance tyres.  Some of the 'mid-range' tyre manufacturers (often significantly cheaper than Michelin, Bridgestone and Contis) like Hankook, Falken and others can often come up with a very decent alternative at a reasonable price.

Offline Ian345

• S Class
  • Colour: Eternal Blue (45B)
  • Engine: 1.5D
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
Asda Tyres (local fit) have )of the decent makes)  Dunlop, Hankook, Pirelli and Michelin's for between £130 and £160 - If you exclude the 89 W

To me, the Pirelli's look the best Ratings (but might be noisy).

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »
@ Engineer Andy, I read a number of reviews before purchasing (including the one on "Tyre Reviews "), so far I'm pleased with the Pilot Sport 4's, originally I was looking at the CrossClimates but could not find them in my cars size. 215/45/18.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »
I had Pilot Sports (can't remember the number) on my Gen 1. Comfortable safe feeling tyre that performed pretty well in all conditions except snow. But then what modern tyre likes snow?

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »
I had Pilot Sports (can't remember the number) on my Gen 1. Comfortable safe feeling tyre that performed pretty well in all conditions except snow. But then what modern tyre likes snow?

Hopefully my CCs!  Seriously though, even full winter tyres don't 'like' snowy conditions - it's not like you can drive at the same speed with them on as you would in warm dry conditions, but at least you can get some reasonable traction and stand more of a chance in not ending up facing the wrong way when out and about!  I am very interested to see how my all season tyres (especially as they are summer biased, but still have the M+S/Three Peak logo to say they can work ok in snow.  Only 5-6 months or so to wait!

Offline kneeknack

• S Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2018, 10:43:40 AM »
@ Engineer Andy, I read a number of reviews before purchasing (including the one on "Tyre Reviews "), so far I'm pleased with the Pilot Sport 4's, originally I was looking at the CrossClimates but could not find them in my cars size. 215/45/18.
They're available in 225/40x18. I fancied a set for my SportNav but didn't want to invest until I was sure they'd be OK. So about a month ago I got myself a pair of second-hand Nokians in this size - and so far all is well. I'll therefore be getting the new CC's in the next few weeks.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »
Unfortunately, Cross Climates aren't available across the board, although the range is a lot larger than it was before.  It might be worth doing as Kneeknack has in slightly changing the spec (within the allowed rolling diameter tollerance of 4% [the lower the better]), as long as the fit the hub, don't impede the brakes or steering mechanism and don't stick out from the wheel arch (illegal).  Bear in mind the running low profile tyres runs a higher risk of irrecoverable (and thus expensive to replace the tyre/alloy) sidewall damage and blowouts.

Most of the CC range are, by neccessity, of the XL type which helps a bit.  My higher profile 195/65 R15 H tyres are not (one of only a handful that aren't, presumably due to the lower speed rating); the V rated and above tyres are XL.  Unlikely to make a significant difference in handling perception though.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »