Author Topic: My 2008 Mk1 Hatch Facelift Lighting Projects  (Read 2747 times)

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
  • I guess I should update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.4L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2008
My 2008 Mk1 Hatch Facelift Lighting Projects
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
I’ve always been a fan of interior lighting – both functional and subtle but eye-catching stuff and some of the ideas and info on this forum are really cool and helpful.

Here follows my lighting mod thread. Might be a slow thread but hopefully one mod a week depending on where the wife drags me to.  ::)

My first mod was to add lighting into the boot. We all know the stock light is rubbish (which I think is also to do with placement) but I didn’t want LEDs and wanted an almost OEM look. I ended up with 3 BMW interior lights for a tenner (with plugs) from my local scrappy and wired 2 of them in – not LED bright white bright but enough to light up the whole area pretty nicely. The pic doesn’t do it justice – need to spend some time learning to take low-light photos.  :-[

The mod was really easy using forum info and took about an hour excluding planning time. I tapped into the existing OEM light wiring by partially stripping the existing wires and soldering on an extra plug/pigtail combo that goes to the 2 new lights. I used 2.8mm 2-way connectors to make up a loom with some 5A wire (yep an overkill but I had 10 meters of it) and cloth tape. The wire for the left light runs under the boot liner behind the seats and is cable tied to existing wiring. (I’ll take pics of the next loom I make)..

Cheers

Marc

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: My 2008 Mk1 Hatch Facelift Lighting Projects
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »
A good start to your project.  Well done, looks great.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
So finally the next task has been completed - installing a light in the larger cubby of the center console… Been waiting for some connectors to arrive from the UK so my timing was a bit out. And with Paddy’s Day and family time my “car time” was a bit limited  >:(

The light is from a BMW – I like these ones because of the protective back plate – and the reed switch and magnet is from RS. The switch is rated at 500mA so should be fine for the console light and is a normally closed switch.

The light was an easy install with a dremel and a knife and I mounted the reed switch and magnet with auto trim tape. The wiring harness is routed from the light, around the handbrake, under the drinks holder and gearshift and comes up the back of the ashtray.

As promised a pic of a homemade harness. The inline fuse is to protect the OEM equipment from my additions... The blue plug goes to the reed switch, the small black plug is for the light and the larger white plug goes to the vehicle’s electrics. The white Tamiya plug is for some future planned lighting for the top part of the console.

And the final product. The reed switch works as expected and switches off the light when the console is closed. I really wanted more of a "stealth" look to the reed switch and magnet but to be honest you don't really see them during normal day-to-day use of the cubby.

Next task - blue light above the ashtray...  Not really in the mood to remove the manual A/C controls (which I believe is a PITA) but I've got spare e-clips (apparently the ones that connect the heat and vent controls are easy to lose) so hopefully this weekend brings me some "car" time  ;D ;D

Marc

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
What? The glove box doesn’t have a switch!!!!!

To be fair I didn’t even think it wouldn’t have a switch until I took it out to do the cabin filter and the footwell lights.. Then I wondered if there was a house elf living in there that switches it on and off!! Eventually (after reading page 2 of Neeldub’s Glovebox Mod post) the light came on…  ::)

So…. Some hunting around and I found a reference on a US forum to a switch that looked like nothing I had seen before…  It turned out to be a glove box switch off a Renault/Kia/Vauxhall/Isuzu – slimline and pretty flat. Just the right size for a custom install… Mine was off a Megane.

Installation was as easy as pie – cut a slot, insert the switch, break the ground wire to the lamp with the switch and away you go.

Marc

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:12:28 PM »
Finally got time to complete the next 2 projects - they happened at the same time which actually screwed up the timing by me trying to do 2 things at once...  >:(

I liked the look of the blue downlight above the ashtray but having manual AC controls I knew the job would be a PITA but didn’t know what to expect for the actual installation as no pictures of the inside of the AC controls were to be found. After scratching around the house and shed I found some blue LED strip and lifted my daughter’s blue ruler to make the lens.

After removal (actually only took 10 mins) and disassembly of the controls here’s what you see: PS – the LED1 connector on the PCB (bottom center between the 2 screws) has no voltage at any time and I wasn’t in the mood to figure out what was needed to get it to work. If it had voltage I was going to use that for either power or to add a SMT blue LED and make an OEM type fitting out of clear PVC or something… (In hindsight I had the unit out of the car for so long I could have probably figured it out.....)

Just as well I had some spare 4mm e-clips as I lost one when taking off the vent and heat control wires..  ::)

I had to take out some of the stock material out of the “stock” area where the blue light fits on higher spec cars (sorry – forgot to take before pics  :( ):

This is the prototype LED strip holder I made that fits nicely in the gap. I’ll get some black ABS or something and make a “better” one when I have a lot of extra time on my hands or when I buy myself a 3D printer...  8)

Lens fitted – not the best of installs/looks but food for thought until I can find the original lens somewhere:

Prototype LED fitting in place:

The 3 LED strip was wired to the spare connectors I installed behind the ashtray. I added a plug for the LED strip behind the AC controls so that removal of the unit is “easy”. The light was REALLY bright after installing so I just blacked out the “lens” a bit with a black Sharpie – looks way more “ambient” now…  ;D

It was a huge PITA to fit the vent and heat controls back in. Probably took over 30 minutes and some very choice words.. Those z-bend wires that hook into the controls and the e-clips are really difficult yo put back. I bet there's some young engineer laughing at the poor suckers that do this kind of stuff every day...

As I said, this turned into two jobs. Because I had the blue LED strip I decided to add some ambient footwell lighting as well. The camera REALLY makes it look a lot brighter than it really is... The final product is, in reality, not much brighter than the blue in the dash.

Until next time.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »
Not that I would be so bold as to do any of this, but I find it very interesting reading. I have the blue downlight as standard in my car and must admit it really looks the dogs..   Well done on all your efforts. Looking forward to the next instalment. :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline marcddsa

• TS Class
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind words ;D

Yep - the blue light does looks the dogs... Even the wife agrees which is saying a lot!!!  :P

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »