Author Topic: Moving from VW to Mazda  (Read 3120 times)

Offline JC3

• S Class
  • Mazda3
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Takara
  • Year: 2008
Moving from VW to Mazda
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »
Hi all,

I bought a 2008 Mazda3 Takara a couple of months ago and I'm impressed! I used to be a Volkswagen fanatic but the Mazda has changed my view. It's silver (bleurgh), but it only had 67k on the clock and it's in really good condition. The engine is as clean as it was brand new.

It's fantastic to drive and very comfortable and has definitely set my sights on Japanese cars in the future when I decide to swap the 3. The only niggle I have with it is the clutch is very odd when trying to pull away or move slowly in traffic, it seems like it can't pull away under 2000 revs.

I'm planning on a few modifications for it in the future, but for now I'm enjoying it stock. Gonna have a read round the forum and hope to get to know you all!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Moving from VW to Mazda
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of info here, enjoy looking around.  :)

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline JC3

• S Class
  • Mazda3
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:32:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of info here, enjoy looking around.  :)

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, every time I googled something about my car this forum came up with some good answers!

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »
I remember the clutch taking a little getting used to when mine arrived though obviously don't notice it now.

Was your vw a diesel by any chance? Lack of low rev torque in the petrols can make the switch problematic apparently judging by my other half's need to rev my car to 4k when pulling away...

Offline red_imps_2003

• Takara Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »
Welcome, JC3. I'm fairly new to the Forum (and Mazdas) myself, having only joined a month or so ago. Mine's a 2009 (59) diesel, so a different model from yours, but I am liking it very much. I had been looking into changing my previous car (Focus 1.8 TDCi) for a year or so but hadn't considered Mazda when researching for a suitable replacement. This one somewhat fell in my lap out of the blue and I'm glad it did. I will definitely consider sticking with the brand when I replace my '3' in a few years' time. I think the current '6' is gorgeous, so may take a look at a used one when the time comes.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline JC3

• S Class
  • Mazda3
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »
I remember the clutch taking a little getting used to when mine arrived though obviously don't notice it now.

Was your vw a diesel by any chance? Lack of low rev torque in the petrols can make the switch problematic apparently judging by my other half's need to rev my car to 4k when pulling away...

Hi Steven. Think I'm starting to get used to the clutch now. It wasn't a diesel, have owned petrols since I passed - just the clutch seems a tad strange now, I know what you mean about the difference between diesel and petrol though!

Welcome, JC3. I'm fairly new to the Forum (and Mazdas) myself, having only joined a month or so ago. Mine's a 2009 (59) diesel, so a different model from yours, but I am liking it very much. I had been looking into changing my previous car (Focus 1.8 TDCi) for a year or so but hadn't considered Mazda when researching for a suitable replacement. This one somewhat fell in my lap out of the blue and I'm glad it did. I will definitely consider sticking with the brand when I replace my '3' in a few years' time. I think the current '6' is gorgeous, so may take a look at a used one when the time comes.

I'm in the same boat as you, the 3 has certainly made a good first impression for the brand. I think I'll be sticking with Mazdas for a while now - sticking Japanese at the very least.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »