Author Topic: Battery flat after forgot to lock doors ... keyless system  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Jon Wingfield

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
Battery flat after forgot to lock doors ... keyless system
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »
On two occasions in the last 7 months since buying my 2015 Mazda3 (keyless Skyactiv), I have flattened the car battery overnight by forgetting to lock the doors using the keyless fob. So all the ignition electrics remained on and flattened the battery.

My question is: why doesn't the car switch off the electrics after a preset time to prevent this happening? My daughter's Mercedes does this, so why not Mazda?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:28:16 AM by Jon Wingfield »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Battery flat after forgot to lock doors ... keyless system
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
Different manufacturers have different priorities.  Consider the price difference between a Mazda and a Mercedes.  There are many things that you will find one manufacturers does but another doesn't.  Personally I like the once touch indicator system on some Fords that flashes the turn lights three times. Very useful if just changing lanes. But that is not available on Mazda cars despite the working relationship that Ford and Mazda had at one time.
You pays your money you take your choice.
Regarding your battery draining overnight.  That sounds a bit strange and in my opinion should not be happening. Perhaps you have an electrical short somewhere. Check your battery terminals for security and corrosion. Or perhaps get an authorised Auto electrician to check your system for any non standard drain.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
Gotta say my indicators do the lane change 3 flashes thing so it is on gen2 cars.

Anyway going back to the electrical system it is my opinion that Mazda have a relatively primitive way of doing electrics. It doesn't appear they use a canbus system or if they do it has limited features.

Canbus allows all sorts of features but can also be nightmare if they go wrong so it is swings and roundabouts. On a canbus car everything runs into the body computer before happening and it can activate/deactivate functions regardless of switch position. Examples on the DS3 would be of you leave the wipers on and switch off they always return to the bottom of the screen then stop (rather than stopping wherever they are) also if you leave them in the on position and restart the engine they are off unless you switch them off and again. Also the radio goes off after 30 mins as does the interior light if you leave it on.

Mazda appears to do none of this hence why I suspect it's not got this sort of system I believe most of the things in a 3 are direct wired rather than via a body computer. As a result it's probably been wired that if the car has been unlocked it should power up and locking it powers it down and there isn't a computer somewhere going "hmm I've been unlocked 8 hours now perhaps I should power down".

Personally I prefer old school makes chasing faults a lot easier but canbus can be very clever indeed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:14:10 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »
Gotta say my indicators do the lane change 3 flashes thing so it is on gen2 cars.

Nice to know :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline misar

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 07:26:39 PM »
I have no experience of the 2015 Mazda but it makes no sense that any manufacturer would design a car the way the OP suggests. My Gen 2 Sport (with keyless locking) has spent all its nights and many days for almost 7 years sitting in a garage completely unlocked. I have never seen this problem.

I suggest the OP asks Mazda whether they require their cars to be locked to prevent battery rundown.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »
It's an odd one this reading the manual for a 2014 (page 4-4 if you have the readily available PDF handy) car suggests if you manage to leave the car in what is the the keyless equivalent of the ACC key position it should shut off after 25 minutes. However the paragraph after states do not leave the car in ACC unattended for any period as the battery will drain and neither the door locks or security will operate.

Perhaps the battery drain happened before the 25 minutes was up, the manual also suggests if you'd tried to lock it in ACC it would have refused to do so, so perhaps you didn't forgot to lock it after all.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:13:13 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:11:15 AM »
In my 2015 3 a couple of times I anecdotally swear I've come back to the car and the doors hadn't locked but I've never seen it keep [internal] lights on for more than a minute or two after walking away. Headlights and daytime running switch off when stop the engine. Behaviour of the OP's car doesn't align with mine at all. I'd say take it back for a check; perhaps there's something not catching in the door right - or maybe the door sensor's faulty?

Offline yarb

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:47:14 AM »
In my 2015 3 a couple of times I anecdotally swear I've come back to the car and the doors hadn't locked but I've never seen it keep [internal] lights on for more than a minute or two after walking away. Headlights and daytime running switch off when stop the engine. Behaviour of the OP's car doesn't align with mine at all. I'd say take it back for a check; perhaps there's something not catching in the door right - or maybe the door sensor's faulty?

Mine also sometimes doesn't lock as I walk away, seems to happen mostly when the wife is slow getting out of her door but it has happened when it's only been me in the car.  I always listen out for the bleep when I shut the door and the bleeps as the car locks
Made it to retirement  :)

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 12:40:29 AM »
Mine also sometimes doesn't lock as I walk away, seems to happen mostly when the wife is slow getting out of her door but it has happened when it's only been me in the car.  I always listen out for the bleep when I shut the door and the bleeps as the car locks

I paid for the automatic folding mirrors accessory; comforting to look out the window down to the car park below and visibly see the car's locked itself.  O0

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 12:40:29 AM »