Author Topic: Battery problems  (Read 3263 times)

Offline weetooner

• TS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2010
Battery problems
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:01:58 PM »
Hi folks,

I have a 2010 Mazda3 1.6 Takuya I replaced the battery just over two years ago but now I am starting to have problems with car not starting just getting a clicking noise, when I attach jump leads to another car it starts 1st turn of the key.

At the time I changed the battery the replacement was a bit smaller than the original but thought nothing of it as battery centre (ATS Euromaster) said it was correct one. Battery would still be under their warranty but cannot go back to them as they have now ceased trading in our town and nearest centre is over 100 miles away.

I am now looking to replace this smaller battery with correct size battery but as I do not have original can anyone please tell me what the correct size is? I have looked at several websites and when I type in my car details it gives me a list of batteries, but I do not know which one would be correct size.

Car does mainly short journeys, 2-3 miles daily, with the occasional 300 mile round trip.

Many thanks.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Battery problems
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 04:52:45 PM »
I replaced the battery just over two years ago but now I am starting to have problems
Car does mainly short journeys, 2-3 miles daily, with the occasional 300 mile round trip.

Broadly speaking you'll kill a 'cheap' battery in two years with short journeys, and if you take it back to the supplier they'll say "it just needs charged sir".  I've just had the same with a family member's car (also due to short journeys) and went for a better brand (and more power) but fully expect it to go the same way after a couple of winters.  Batteries are determined by Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and Amp hours (Ah).  If you have a 40Ah battery personally I'd replace it with the next 'size' up, ie something like a 60Ah.  Just make sure it'll physically fit, ie measure your space first.

The Bosch one on Europarts should be a half decent middle ground (and it's the one I went for)...
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/battery/car-batteries/most-popular-car-battery/075-car-batteries/?444770757&0&cc5_995
They're probably cheaper elsewhere, it was just an easy Google for me.  Varta is another good brand.

Offline weetooner

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
Thanks Tall333, I shall measure size of battery compartment and follow your advice on sizing up. Cheers.

Offline weetooner

• TS Class
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
Went with the recommendation from Tall333 and ordered the Bosch battery from Euro Car Parts also got an extra 20% off with their Easter promotion code. £58.99 down to £47.19 ;D.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
Hopefully that's you sorted for a while mate :)

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »