Author Topic: Traded in already  (Read 3337 times)

Offline 73henny

• S Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2002
Traded in already
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »
So after just 5 months, we've traded in my wife's 3 for a new BMW 1 series. We've covered 7000 miles in the time we've had it, but although the car was okay it was a disappointment to be honest. I think it was like an unfinished project - they got some of it right but either ran out of money or time.

Pros;
Well equipped.
Good to drive.
Cheap to run.
Well screwed together.

Cons;
Road noise unacceptable
Dials and instruments are a mess
Sat nav pathetic
Bland interior
Still has the Japanese tinny door feel.
Engine never felt as powerful as figures claimed.

I can't understand how they signed off on the road noise and refinement. Thats the most disappointing thing we found with the car. So intrusive in fact that it wouldn't have mattered what sound system was fitted (We had Bose), because you couldn't listen to music properly. After anything more than a short journey it becomes opressive.
The sat nav is by far the poorest that I've come across. The addressing is very poor - on a number of occasions I couldn't find the town I was looking for, so used the interactive map to find the location, and low and behold the name of the town is shown on the map! And its far too keen to get you back on to the calculated route if you decide to go another way. Theres a city I visit regularly for meetings thats about 2 hours from me, with 2 different but identical time/distance ways of getting there. Depending on traffic I may go right or left where the route splits. If that happens to be the opposite of the calculated route then for miles its trying to turn you around and back onto what is now a much longer route. Its not clever enough to recalculate the route again, it just calculates the way back to the original route. Obviously the algorithms are poor.
Also, the dials are white, the backlighting on the switches are white, he hud?. Turquoise! Wtf?
The phone signal and battery are shown as long as; You aren't using the navigation, or passing an adjacent road. What has the navigation got to do with the signal strength of your mobile phone? How did Mazda decide 'we'll let the driver see his signal strength if he's not using the navigation'?
Press the phone button on the steering wheel, and the list of calls comes up on the screen. Want to select a name from the list?, then you need to use the wheel. So whats the point of bringing up the list if you can't do anything with it? You should be able to scroll down and select a call.

So all in all, disappointing. Like an unfinished project. I'd say 3 out of 5 overall.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Traded in already
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
Well, one man's meat... silver lining's that there's a nice 5 month old bargain on a second hand forecourt for someone else to pick up cheap.  O0

Two months in we'd agree the road noise is still a bit more than we'd have liked, but we knew that from test drives so aren't complaining - and it's still a big improvement over the old Civic. Had a new 1 Series on hire for best part of a week a couple of months back and it definitely had more grunt but I find the 3 simply has more personality when driving.

Hope the 1 lives up to your expectations. ;)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 11:25:31 PM »
Each to their own if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't. We have a DS3....it won JD power I think it's awful..not everything works for everybody. In the Gen 2 I'm happy to trade a little refinement for ability on a back road, although mine is pre skyactiv so the doors etc aren't light also I use Google Maps via the integrated Bluetooth and a phone cradle..as very few systems are better than google Maps even stand alone satnavs.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:27:05 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline E.T.

• Takara Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
Well of course its what suits and what you like.

My comments are that comparing a car that starts at 17k with one that starts at 20k then the 20 k is going to win.an extra 3k buys a lot of sound proofing.

Underpowered is interesting. I'd agree with that...what was interesting was when my 120bhp petrol was put on a dyno, it was actually higher than the claimed figure.  For £600 the power is up to 170bhp and it is now a pleasure to drive.  It feels quicker, but actually up to 4500 rpm its identical... Its the fact it keeps pulling.

The infotainment system is crap.

The road noise is high....but then the suspension is set up for better handling and the tyres for economy. Noise is a trade off.

The infotainment system is crap.

I don't quite get the comments on colour and layout - of course its subjective to what someone likes...but it was like that from new, so err, if its not liked why buy?

The infotainment system is crap

The handling on the 3 is extremely good - widely praised as best in class, the money has been spent on those components and set p, and not on better quality roof lining.  Yes it is a compromise - most cars are. Only paying top dollar are you going to get the best of everything , so it depends where your personal preference lays.

By the way did I mention the infotainment system?... Its crap
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:37:29 PM by E.T. »
Zoom Zoom

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:36:37 PM »
By the way did I mention the infotainment system?... Its crap

Hmm ...  can't say that you said anything in the Vehicle Entertainment forum.                          .nudge nudge !

:) :) :) :) ;)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »
Also, the dials are white, the backlighting on the switches are white, he hud?. Turquoise! Wtf?

This comment had been floating around in my head and last night without intentionally looking for the problem I subconsciously realized exactly what you meant and I did too find it a tiny bit awkward. To be fair we also test drove a new Civic and really really liked it's deep in the dash layout with consistent display but found, being in a set location the pos, that the steering wheel when adjusted for me was partially obscured. The HUD in the 3, being adjustable, doesn't fall foul of the same problem - and I wasn't bothered at the time by the turquoiseness.

So, although I agree it could perhaps have been done better, we're still loving our 3 nonetheless  8)  O0

Maybe they tried matching the colour and it looked worse having a less crisp reflected version clashing with the real thing too?

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »