Author Topic: Martha the Takuya  (Read 59374 times)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Martha the Takuya
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »
The Citroen is away being French..so I've had to lend it to my better half..

Felt like I'd lost a leg as she drove off in it, though never heard the tail pipe noise before and it's surprisingly loud.

It came back unharmed and apparently she likes it because it's big and comfortable, and asked to borrow it tomorrow..think I preferred it when she didn't want to drive it...

>:D >:D

Now to quote myself and Mr. Power from 3 years ago (Christ time flies when you're having fun).

So reinsured my wife on this after 3 years..she drove it once. Then announced her plan for replacing the Citroen C3 today, with a Mazda 3..to be precise this Mazda 3. The C3 goes back in 18 months..so apparently I need to pick a new car by then..and find the money trading this in would have brought but take one for the team e.t.c.

In some ways I'm quite glad, cos I'd miss this car..it has a lot of history with us now, and I like having it around. But I get to pick a new toy as well!

Of course it was doing it's thing today..so here it is at Cragside in Northumberland.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2019, 05:05:59 PM »
Looks like your car may need to see a dentist, pronto - that smile on its face looks decidedly dodgy!

;D

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2019, 11:43:36 AM »
It's nice that it is staying in the family...
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:37 PM »
So at this point...having spent 3 hours in this yesterday to and from fountains abbey. Tend to think on motorway schleps, in this case about the car as I drove it.

I'm no closer to picking a replacement, if I got a new car it would be quieter at the cruise and possibly more comfortable. But it's not bad..and it feels very much like replacing faithful family dog, yes it has some minor faults..which as it gets older will likely get more numerous but it doesn't feel like an old car. Also it has a lot of good memories in it, a ridiculous amount tbf, have any car long enough I guess.

Another point would be to get something with the same spec in the same size..I'm spending a lot. Dual Zone climate (which at nearly 8 years old is still perfect), heated seats, cruise, Android auto and Dab? There's pretty much nothing below 10k other than an Astra to match the spec.

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2019, 01:37:15 PM »
I know what you mean about VfM. I have been thinking about a Skoda Superb for my next car (still a good couple of years away yet, I think) for that bit of extra space as my kinds get bigger (and bigger, and bigger!!) but to get one of a similar age, spec and mileage to my 3 when I bought it would cost well over twice the amount!! OK so the Superb would have a few mod cons built in that the 3 lacks but getting on for 2.5x the price for larger cabin/boot space and a few more toys!

The price comes down a bit if I were to go with a lower spec but that would lose the heated windscreen, which I absolutely love and is hard to come by outside Ford vehicles these days. Even an Octavia of a similar spec would be a painful step up in cost.
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
Unfortunately I'm stuck with similar physical dimensions while something bigger would fit in the street with me having to do a 90 degree reverse turn in a road that's as wide as the 3 is long then reverse parallel park with about an inch spare something bigger isn't on the cards. Otherwise I'd be looking at Mazda 6s.

Looked at both the Octavia and new Scala both can meet the interior space and spec requirements but need options adding that end up with the price getting a bit ridiculous. Even have to pay for rear centre armrest in them, then the windscreen..then climate control/have to buy a high spec one + paying for a spare e.t.c. it adds up pretty quick especially if you don't want a 1.0 petrol.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »
So at this point...having spent 3 hours in this yesterday to and from fountains abbey. Tend to think on motorway schleps, in this case about the car as I drove it.

I'm no closer to picking a replacement, if I got a new car it would be quieter at the cruise and possibly more comfortable. But it's not bad..and it feels very much like replacing faithful family dog, yes it has some minor faults..which as it gets older will likely get more numerous but it doesn't feel like an old car. Also it has a lot of good memories in it, a ridiculous amount tbf, have any car long enough I guess.

Another point would be to get something with the same spec in the same size..I'm spending a lot. Dual Zone climate (which at nearly 8 years old is still perfect), heated seats, cruise, Android auto and Dab? There's pretty much nothing below 10k other than an Astra to match the spec.

What about a Seat Leon 1.4TSi?  The higher spec 150PS FR will have more kit (definitely will have the climate control [you don't really need dual zone - only one zone on the inside of a car!], not sure about Android auto though, maybe the 'Technology' version), though the still decent 125PS SE is very decent (I test drove a Scirocco with that engine variant and it was better than the Mazda 2.0 SA-G) and is shod on more comfortable (and cheaper to replace) 16in tyres, whereas the FR is shod on 17in or 18in tyres, depending on the age of the car.  The 140PS engine variant in cars around the 2013/14 mark is still good and can be found in both the SE and FR trim variants.  You only get manual A/C in the SE as standard though.  You'll get better mpg than with a Mazda with equivalent performance - probably averaging 45-50mpg for real world driving.  Not sure if it has heated seats though.

All these engine variants need to be the belt driven one, not the less reliable chain-driven one, and certainly not the twin charger engine from a few years before.  Like with Mazda, the dealer network is rather patchy in terms of post-sales quality, I am told.  Check out the full specs and review over on Honest John's website (and you can look up some new or used ones).  I only disregarded it when looking for a new car 2 years ago because I wanted an auto this time round and I don't like the relaibility of the VAG 'DSG' box, especially the variant mated to the 1.4TSi.

Worth a look, given you looked at its sister car, the Octavia.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2019, 11:14:52 PM »
Part of my issue with moving to Seat is the only local Seat dealer is Arnold Clark who are terrible. Whereas my local Mazda dealer is Hodgson's who have won Mazda UKs dealer of the year at least twice and have always been brilliant.

Dual zone climate is actually a thing, yes if you put a temperature sensor on the back seat in the centre it'll be halfway between the 2 but sitting up front it means me and my wife can sit in the car and not argue about the temp. She has her Citroen set to 23 currently, the Mazda is at 19, dual zone means I can have my vents blowing refrigerated air, while she can have hers blowing warm. Yes overall temp is halfway between the 2 but the air blowing onto you face and hands/feet gives the impression of heat or cold..same with the heated seats I use them 4 times a year, my wife uses them year round.

I like the Leon Estate, but doesn't do a huge amount for me as a hatch, if I was getting a hatch I'd get another 3 as theres not enough advantage to the Seat. Seat wheel and tyre sizes are more sensible but I don't have to use Arnold Clark and I'd trust the Mazda to run longer. Android auto was only added to most cars post 2016 if at all, but having had it I think it's worth paying for.

I think the reason I'm having so much back and forth with this is that I really like the car, part of the reason I agreed my wife could have it is while I'd like an upgrade, I'm not ready to see the back of it yet. Of course I then made that more difficult by up speccing it..because why not spend unnecessary money on a car you're thinking of binning off?

Ah well time left to sort something, it's hard to think of something else when due to my a week off and my teething son booting off whenever we're in the house we've been pretty much living out of it trying to distract both him (from his teeth) and us (from no sleep). 455 miles in 7 days or to put it another way 23660 miles a year if you did it every week and it's smashed it.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »
Part of my issue with moving to Seat is the only local Seat dealer is Arnold Clark who are terrible. Whereas my local Mazda dealer is Hodgson's who have won Mazda UKs dealer of the year at least twice and have always been brilliant.

Dual zone climate is actually a thing, yes if you put a temperature sensor on the back seat in the centre it'll be halfway between the 2 but sitting up front it means me and my wife can sit in the car and not argue about the temp. She has her Citroen set to 23 currently, the Mazda is at 19, dual zone means I can have my vents blowing refrigerated air, while she can have hers blowing warm. Yes overall temp is halfway between the 2 but the air blowing onto you face and hands/feet gives the impression of heat or cold..same with the heated seats I use them 4 times a year, my wife uses them year round.

I like the Leon Estate, but doesn't do a huge amount for me as a hatch, if I was getting a hatch I'd get another 3 as theres not enough advantage to the Seat. Seat wheel and tyre sizes are more sensible but I don't have to use Arnold Clark and I'd trust the Mazda to run longer. Android auto was only added to most cars post 2016 if at all, but having had it I think it's worth paying for.

I think the reason I'm having so much back and forth with this is that I really like the car, part of the reason I agreed my wife could have it is while I'd like an upgrade, I'm not ready to see the back of it yet. Of course I then made that more difficult by up speccing it..because why not spend unnecessary money on a car you're thinking of binning off?

Ah well time left to sort something, it's hard to think of something else when due to my a week off and my teething son booting off whenever we're in the house we've been pretty much living out of it trying to distract both him (from his teeth) and us (from no sleep). 455 miles in 7 days or to put it another way 23660 miles a year if you did it every week and it's smashed it.

I fully understand about the non-technical reasons for liking the dual zone CC, it was just as an engineer who designs A/C systems for buildings, in practice such a system would never be specified.  The placebo effect has worked before, e.g. using temperature dials not connected to anything so some 'people' can get the impression they are controlling the temperature locally.

The same goes for the dealership experience, hence why my suggestion was predicated with the 'assuming the local dealer was good'.  I know of a fellow member of the Honest John site who is always praising VAG cars and especially their previous car, a Leon 5dr 1.4TSi 140, but hated the local dealership and used one further away - not something everyone can easily do.  The SEAT's sensible wheel and tyre sizes are the same as those on the gen-1 and 2 Mazda3s, i.e. the most popular 205/55 R16 and equivalent 17 and 18in tyres to match, quite a bit cheaper than the less used 205/60 R16s and 18in equivalent on the Gen-3 and 4 Mazda3s, although some other car makes are starting to adopt the same size combos, probably for the same reason Mazda did - to reduce the number of model variant requiring to be tested under the new WLTP regime.

I actually prefer the Leon in the 3dr SC format - it looks like a better-looking version of the early 2000s Civic Type R, but is slightly smaller than the 5dr version (less room in the back, same boot size though).  The estate is a nice looking car though, the 5dr hatch ok, though better for the FR version and in black or red.

What I find a shame, though it won't help you at present if you're looking for a second-hand car, is that Mazda will likely not introduce an estate version of the new 3 or even may not pair the new SCCI engine with the fastback (with its bigger boot, bigger than the gen-3 car's), and that the similar saloon for the latest Toyota Corolla only comes paired with the slow 1.8 hybrid, and not the new, much better 2.0 version.  You can get it with the hatch (average size boot like the Mazda3 hatch) and the estate (big boot) though, but a cost - like the Mazda SCCI engine, the Toyota 2.0 hybrid will set you back £27k+ (list price), and the other engines are a bit naff performance wise.  Handling is far better, as is the styling, but still not up to Mazda standards.  With those higher prices, that's dangerously near to BMW 2 series coupe territory, though expensive to run, is good looking on the outside at least, drive very well and has a really decent TC auto box.

The lack of suitable (and affordable) replacements for my gen-1 car (I wasn't enamored with the performance of the gen-3 car), especially that had a decent (reliable) auto box, was one of main reasons I didn't change mine two years ago.  I must admit that with Mazdas, you get a lot a car for your money.  If only they could up their game on the engines and especially on the dealers.  My local is OK (not as good as it was when I first bought my car 13 years ago), but by all accounts, none of the others within a reasonable distance of me are any good.

As I'm not working at present, that really made my decision not to get a replacement (I was working at the time) two years ago far easier when I jacked my career in - I'm now committed, until I can find a worthwhile new career, to keeping my aging car going, so I amy as well get the most out of it while I do.

What about the other Skodas - the Fabia and the Rapid: whilst they are rather dull looks wise (especially on the inside), they are good value and in the right form, have decent sized boots.  Just avoid some of the chain driven ones (when they had the issue with their supplier), autos and diesels (dieselgate fix).  Maybe your wife could have that and you stick with the Mazda until you can afford a gen-4 car (if that's what you want).

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »
Another year has passed already!

So another Service and another MOT down. 100k mile service carried out (nowhere near on miles but year 8 ).

Few small things both of which are driving style related...tyres are showing signs of age, they are 3 years old and have done 25k but still have plenty of tread. If I drove like a plank they'd be done by now.

Same story with the discs, some signs of corrosion on the faces because I don't take big chunks out of the them on a regular basis but loads of thickness left.

Otherwise no issues so I got the slightly weak/smelly AC serviced.

Main issue was sitting in a gen 4 and it making the gen 2 feel about 20 years old. Interior felt a bit dark with small windows but overall quality even compared to a gen 3 is miles further on. Also somewhat surprised with the space..its about the same size as the gen 2 interior, possibly a little less rear head room.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:23:29 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2019, 06:35:49 PM »
Another year has passed already!

So another Service and another MOT down. 100k mile service carried out (nowhere near on miles but year 8 ).

Few small things both of which are driving style related...tyres are showing signs of age, they are 3 years old and have done 25k but still have plenty of tread. If I drove like a plank they'd be done by now.

Same story with the discs, some signs of corrosion on the faces because I don't take big chunks out of the them on a regular basis but loads of thickness left.

Otherwise no issues so I got the slightly weak/smelly AC serviced.

Main issue was sitting in a gen 4 and it making the gen 2 feel about 20 years old. Interior felt a bit dark with small windows but overall quality even compared to a gen 3 is miles further on. Also somewhat surprised with the space..its about the same size as the gen 2 interior, possibly a little less rear head room.

With you A/C, did you have the refrigerant topped up or even replaced?  If so, what with?  Newer generation cars now come with the not-so-good (despite manufacturer's claims to the contrary, it's supposedly leaks more, especially when replacing the older ones) refrigerant R1234a rather than the R134a or R410a (I can't remember which) the gen1 and 2 cars have, but I do recall reading somewhere that top-ups are getting expensive because of the changeover (apparently, essentially only one firm manufactures R1234a in the EU - Honeywell, I believe, and charges a fortune because of their monopolistic position) and there's less of the older ones around as it's being phsed out.  Just wondering, in case mine needs a top-up in the future.

Interesting about your experience sitting in the gen4 car - I had a similar experience when trying out (I also test drove it) the gen3 car in early 2017, comparing it to my gen-1 car.  The seating position was quite a bit lower, and the smaller windows (especially to the rear) meant the car did feel quite small inside.  Very comfortable seat and a great driving position though - everything within easy reach.  I'll be interested to see how the 4dr fastback in gen-4 form compares to mine, as at least the rear window will be bigger than the hatch.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
It had this done: https://www.hodgsons-mazda.co.uk/aftersales-offers/air-conditioning-inspection/

It does list refrigerant replacement but tbh no clue what they put in it I'm afraid. Assume it's whatever oem is, came to 50 quid on top of the service MOT but given it doesn't tend to cost much between services I don't begrudge spending a bit of cash all in a major service, mot and the AC was under 300 quid at the main dealer.

Has made a difference to the AC it wasn't terrible before it just took a while to get cold after the engine fired on a warm day (really noticed it when it was 32 degrees) now I get cold air immediately.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
It had this done: https://www.hodgsons-mazda.co.uk/aftersales-offers/air-conditioning-inspection/

It does list refrigerant replacement but tbh no clue what they put in it I'm afraid. Assume it's whatever oem is, came to 50 quid on top of the service MOT but given it doesn't tend to cost much between services I don't begrudge spending a bit of cash all in a major service, mot and the AC was under 300 quid at the main dealer.

Has made a difference to the AC it wasn't terrible before it just took a while to get cold after the engine fired on a warm day (really noticed it when it was 32 degrees) now I get cold air immediately.

I'd keep an eye on the A/C system after the refrigerant was replaced, as it could easily have been replaced with the new one, referigerant R1234a because it is supposed to be a 'drop-in' (no system modifications necessary) replacement for the original R134a, because it is 'greener' but also was originally touted as being less susceptible to leaks.  Whilst the first is true, it appears from accounts from car owners that the second is not in real-life usage, perhaps quite a bit worse.  It apparently is also more flammable than the original refrigerant.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2019, 01:29:30 PM »
It's already been done 3 times according to the service history once every 2-3 years basically so it hasn't got the factory refrigerant in it either way. Also same garage has done all 3 so it will have whatever they use.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2019, 02:44:59 PM »
It's already been done 3 times according to the service history once every 2-3 years basically so it hasn't got the factory refrigerant in it either way. Also same garage has done all 3 so it will have whatever they use.

It wasn't that your car didn't have the factory refrigerant in its A/C system any more, but the most recent replacement might be with a different type of refrigerant which is more susceptible to leaks, and thus may not last as long as the previous ones.  The changover to R1234a was only available from about a couple of years ago when its use was mandated by the EU, though I wasn't sure if existing stocks of the older refrigerants had to be got rid of, or could be legally used up in non-new cars (and other things requiring refrigerants) first via regassing.  Oddly enough, the EU hasn't changed the rules (yet) as regards the use of these 'older' refrigerants in air conditioning systems in buildings or fridges and freezers - just in road vehicles.

I would say that in your car's case, it's likely that on the previous occasions, any regassing done was using the R134a/410a refrigeant as per the OEM car specs, then the latest one far more likely to have that completely replaced with R1234a (they can't be mixed together).  Best to follow the 'best practice' advice to run the A/C (on cold) at least once a fortnight (even in winter) to allow the lubricating oils to circulate so that the system seals don't dry out and the gas escapes, given (apparently) how much easier it is for the R1234a to escape compared to the other ones.  Quite a few new cars (generally, not Mazdas specifically) have apparently (reported on Honest John's website and elsewhere) experienced many more issues in this regard than was the case with the previous generation refrigerants used.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2019, 02:44:59 PM »