Author Topic: Martha the Takuya  (Read 54530 times)

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Martha the Takuya
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
I'm holding onto my gen-1 (just passed its 11th MOT in a row - yea!) until my career change is done and hopefully by then the gen-4 (apparently due in the Spring in the UK) will have been out long enough for any issues to be sorted (if required) and has the right combos of engines, trim and gearbox that I couldn't get in the gen-3 (especially as I preferred the fastback).

PS.  I'm wondering if the disintegrating seat foam is due to the heated seats feature, as foam doesn't like getting hot as well as significant use.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »
Wouldn't have thought so, the bit that's going isn't heated.
It's just a combination of the windscreen angle, seat height and the semi bucket design of the sports seats. Fairly common in this spec if you look on auto trader most seem to have a bit a of shabby drivers side back bolster.

If you are parked in a tight bay you always end up sliding over the bolster and after 7 years it's not happy with that situation.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:56:34 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
I see.  Mine (mostly the back seats, ironically, that have hardly been used [99.9% of the time its only me in the car]) have faded as its parked in the sun, the black cloth seats fading to a charcoal grey colour.  On mine, I've got decide whether I should replace the front springs and dampers as they are (according to the MOT, though weirdly, not the service inspection) beginning to corrode (advisory).  That could set me back quite a bit, and if I recall, I won't be able to use Mazda OEM parts as they don't make or stock them for the gen-1 car any more.

I'd need to make sure they are Japanese-made (or to Mazda's specs) as apparently European-made springs have been known to prematurely fail as the ends aren't properly smoothed off, and some have had structural defects because they were moved out of the foundry into very cold air (Sweden) too soon after being cast/shaped.  Hopefully I won't need to make that decision for a year or two, and I would hope by then my career situation is sorted and I can either afford to do this or buy another car.  I never like leaving wearing parts on the car for too long if I can help it.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2019, 01:12:17 PM »
Well I got bored of receiving texts from the car..

Discovered that it did indeed have the factory battery which is 008 size. No-where local had one in stock..and there's a cold snap forecast for next week so hmm.

However due to it not being a stop start car and lacking the more modern battery conditioning systems you can fit effectively the wrong battery. Obviously it's still 12 volts, but a 030 size fits inside the battery box and brings significant boosts in capacity and cold cranking amps...so we have one of those now.

edit: So it was minus 3 this morning, I had been in the habit of making sure everything was off before cranking as I was very aware the battery was on it's last legs. It would turn over 3 or 4 times slowly and fire.

This morning I just went for the start, had fired within half a turn of the starter, also steering feels lighter at low speed and lights don't really dim anymore when the electric pump is running. So other than my wallet being 100 quid lighter (the bigger battery is cheaper than the stock size) it's all good.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:27:40 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2019, 07:38:30 PM »
So...this car is Probably staying for a few years at least. Nothing has changed in my circumstances..I just figured there's nothing currently available in budget I want to commit to.

To keep me from getting itchy feet.. I may have paid a visit to the chaps who built my I.C.E. install in my Suzuki today..and it may be booked in with them on Tuesday.

So an actual update is coming...rather than a repair. Will say it doesn't involve a boot full of sub and amp though just a bit of modernising.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:51:27 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2019, 12:30:26 PM »
That's good news; it's nice to have a regular forum contributor staying. I think one of your main concerns was with the space available for accommodating little ones, if I remember? I had a broadly similar issue with my Focus when we became new parents. I specifically switched to it from a Fabia because I knew we would need space and for the first year or so I still wished at times that I had gone with something bigger. Once we could stop taking the huge plastic bath and invested in a more lightweight stroller the space thing became less of an issue. Have had the 3 for just over two years now with two lads under ten and space hasn't been a problem, even on family holidays.

Incidentally, I saw my old Focus yesterday. In the same village where I live, likely taking a child to the school my boys attend! Small world. I sold it to We Buy Any Car on the Team Valley (for a truly pathetic sum) and it has obviously stayed local. Its been re-sprayed a different colour and the steel wheels have been replaced with alloys. It's only recognisable by the number plate. I didn't like to look inside to see whether there was still a large mayonnaise stain on the driver's seat!!
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
I'm at the point now I can pack a pram and changing bag and leave enough space for a weekly shop without it spilling into the cabin and only got 6 months left to run with a rear facing seat.

Anyway..update time like actual update!!! So I have mentioned at various times my previous car had a pretty serious stereo in it, now my situation doesn't lend itself to a boot full of sub and amp but off I went to autosounds who built it anyway.

We now have Spec parity with a gen 3, 7 inch touchscreen, Dab and am/fm Android Auto and Car play. Got a quick charge connection in the central armrest.

Pioneer DA230:

Dab aerial:

Works great  ;D

Offline Decker

• TS Class
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2019, 07:27:46 PM »
That looks a fantastic set up Steven, wouldn't mind something like that in mine   8)

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2019, 08:48:17 PM »
That looks a fantastic set up Steven, wouldn't mind something like that in mine   8)

Thanks, at the minute I'm having to make a conscious effort not to play with it constantly. Once the novelty has worn off I'll have a nice sounding head unit with a responsive high definition touch screen and top quality phone integration, so what I wanted from a new car. Also would accept a reversing cam if I want to get the full modern car experience!

Had nothing against the standard one but it's just a lot more up to date, and looks similar to what was fitted in the late model venture edition cars but the screen is 1.2 inches bigger. If anything given mines also had parking sensors fitted as well it's now as much of a Venture edition as it is a Takuya..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:19:02 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline red_imps_2003

• TS2 Class
  • Confucius say "don't quote me"
  • Colour: Indigo Lights Mica (38K) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2019, 12:10:39 PM »
Looks sweet. Like you say; gives the 'new car' feel without the massive outlay!!
So I was stood there trying to work out why the cricket ball was getting larger and larger...and then it hit me.

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »

Thanks, at the minute I'm having to make a conscious effort not to play with it constantly. Once the novelty has worn off I'll have a nice sounding head unit with a responsive high definition touch screen and top quality phone integration, so what I wanted from a new car. Also would accept a reversing cam if I want to get the full modern car experience!

Had nothing against the standard one but it's just a lot more up to date, and looks similar to what was fitted in the late model venture edition cars but the screen is 1.2 inches bigger. If anything given mines also had parking sensors fitted as well it's now as much of a Venture edition as it is a Takuya..

I've seen similar kits for the gen-1 cars like mine - they are available via US Ebay sites.  They look great.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
I think the big one for gen 1s in the US seems to be the Eonon 7 inch set up. It's available over here: https://www.eonon.co.uk/mobile/Mazda-3-2004-2009-Android-8-1-2G-RAM-Quad-Core-32G-ROM-Split-Screen-Compatible-With-Bose-System-7-Inch-Touchscreen-Car-DVD-CD-Receiver.html&Catype=1 But you can get a double din adaptor and fit anything, I'm just a fan of Pioneer. I think you lose the trip mode button on early gen 1s.

Still playing..done my best to match the Oem colour scheme, maybe a bit less saturation and single colour background to match the centre screen but happy with the button colour.

Fairly sure I could load a Mazda boot screen rather than Pioneer for the Full OEM look..but fun for another day.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:16:11 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
Looks good  :)       
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2019, 10:40:26 PM »
Back to fixing stuff..top of the rear door is currently apart as I only have 2 of 3 brake lights. Thankfully the L.E.D.s are both fine shall post a photo how to guide if I get the chance to snap a couple of pictures while it's apart as how it comes apart isn't covered in much detail in the hand book, had no spare that would fit >:(

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2019, 08:33:06 PM »
Got to say...after a week this stereo is awesome.

The screen is better than the oem one in the Citroen in both quality and responsiveness. The sound quality even on standard speakers is excellent..though I'd now love an upgrade..as I've got a feeling I might end up popping the stock ones. Been going through old music and enjoying it afresh on my commute.

I was already a fan of Android Auto but using it every day In a slicker installation is pretty much a thing of wonder. Literally just tell it what you want to do and it does it. Be it navigation, sending a message, playing a song or album or artist (pretty much any song as it's linked to Spotify, Google music...and iPlayer in my case) can all be done by pressing a single button then speaking to it.

DAB aerial may have been a waste of money given I've only not been streaming off my phone for about 2 minutes but sure I'll use it at some point.

But in general very chuffed, made my currently horrific commute (19 mph average speed over 280 miles cannot wait for Blaydon rounderbout to be done) a lot more bearable. Also means no faffing with phone cradles and the like when we go on weekend trips.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2019, 08:33:06 PM »