Author Topic: Martha the Takuya  (Read 50101 times)

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
Re: Martha the Takuya
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
I'm holding onto my gen-1 (just passed its 11th MOT in a row - yea!) until my career change is done and hopefully by then the gen-4 (apparently due in the Spring in the UK) will have been out long enough for any issues to be sorted (if required) and has the right combos of engines, trim and gearbox that I couldn't get in the gen-3 (especially as I preferred the fastback).

PS.  I'm wondering if the disintegrating seat foam is due to the heated seats feature, as foam doesn't like getting hot as well as significant use.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »
Wouldn't have thought so, the bit that's going isn't heated.
It's just a combination of the windscreen angle, seat height and the semi bucket design of the sports seats. Fairly common in this spec if you look on auto trader most seem to have a bit a of shabby drivers side back bolster.

If you are parked in a tight bay you always end up sliding over the bolster and after 7 years it's not happy with that situation.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:56:34 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Engineer Andy

• TS2 Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
I see.  Mine (mostly the back seats, ironically, that have hardly been used [99.9% of the time its only me in the car]) have faded as its parked in the sun, the black cloth seats fading to a charcoal grey colour.  On mine, I've got decide whether I should replace the front springs and dampers as they are (according to the MOT, though weirdly, not the service inspection) beginning to corrode (advisory).  That could set me back quite a bit, and if I recall, I won't be able to use Mazda OEM parts as they don't make or stock them for the gen-1 car any more.

I'd need to make sure they are Japanese-made (or to Mazda's specs) as apparently European-made springs have been known to prematurely fail as the ends aren't properly smoothed off, and some have had structural defects because they were moved out of the foundry into very cold air (Sweden) too soon after being cast/shaped.  Hopefully I won't need to make that decision for a year or two, and I would hope by then my career situation is sorted and I can either afford to do this or buy another car.  I never like leaving wearing parts on the car for too long if I can help it.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »