Author Topic: New 2015 Sport Nav 120ps jet black mica hatch  (Read 55362 times)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: New 2015 Sport Nav 120ps jet black mica hatch
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »
There's always one (usually the one who has never been in a 3)! Although with you not having the car yet I suppose your in more of a position to have a bit of a wobble regards your decision. I plan to upgrade to a gen 3 when they are 3 years old or so saw a white top spec saloon earlier, awesome looking car makes a golf look like the soulless box it is..

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »
...in more of a position to have a bit of a wobble regards your decision...

We put a lot of time, effort and thought into this decision so any wobbling I've done in the last few weeks on the fora is just chipping away at the honeymoon glaze. The 3's the clear winner, don't worry. The Focus didn't even make it to the shortlist ;)

Sure I'm pissed with a few things, like no sunroof or reverse camera on any trim level whatsoever but the only option that would have given me everything - the Scirocco - was 50% more, not Japanese and lacking Kodo design 8). By comparison the car earmarked for me would need to be a pretty serious dog for me to regret the change from Civic; and you guys wouldn't be so loyal to Mazda if there was much chance of that. Right?  O0

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
I was looking at either an FN civic (starship shape) or a DS4. I saw my current car at a dealership having gone to look at a civic. DS4 was a typical Citroen, great to look at and sit in horrible to actually drive, couldn't find a nice civic 1.8 ES which is what I wanted (the one with the glass roof cruise and climate), I went to look at one at a Mazda dealer saw my current car next to it, and in white with the 17s it made more than enough of an impression to take me away from the civic (not having torsion bar rear suspension also swayed me as well). Once I'd driven the Mazda that's what I wanted, also since I've got my car my dad is looking at a gen 3 also my best man is looking at getting a gen 2 on the strength of him and his Mrs getting a lift with me to Alton Towers (400 miles in 2 days). They aren't hugely common but they seem to make a good impression.

Last car I had with a sun roof was a mk1 punto, and if you can't park with mirrors and rear parking sensors then you need to take your test again.. they are nice to have but my 1st few months with the 3 were spent discovering all the nice touches you just don't see on most cars, even the focus 2 which my cars shares a chassis with (and my dad owns so I know intimately). The difference to me is that everything feels well thought through, built to precisely enough, and there's just enough Japanese madness not to be Toyota dull.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:56:49 PM by StevenRB45 »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 05:00:41 PM »
You'll see many members here who are on their 2nd or even 3rd Mazda 3.  The car is one of those "hidden in plain sight"gems.  There are those who are still labouring under the idea of some sort of stigma attached to the brand.  True, many, many years ago, Mazda had a bad name as a brand that suffered badly with rusting and was really not different enough to get noticed. 
Then there was obviously some deep restructuring of ideas within the company and things started to turn around.  These days much of the motoring press and a large percentage of the general public still hang on to these old misconceptions and refuse to be aware of what Mazda has become now.
When your experiences in life give you a good feeling, enjoyment,value and an overall pleasure, then you tend to give that experience some loyalty. This can be applied to owning a Mazda.  Yes, as with any make of car there are some rogue examples that let people down. But generally once you have owned a Mazda, perhaps even more specifically a Mazda 3 you tend to exhibit this loyalty effect.

However it really just doesn't apply to the Mazda3. The members on our sister forums Mazda 2  Mazda 6   and Mazda CX-5 are just as positive about their cars. Monitoring each site daily as I do, I see the odd problem here and there. But one thing is for certain, those who currently own a Mazda are generally very well pleased with their purchase.

So to answer your question, yes we are loyal.   
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline RichardC

• Takara Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »
Hi Swampy,

Had my 2.0 sport Nav Auto Fastback since March 1st 2014, my first Mazda. It is superb following 3 modern Merc C Class (07, 59 and 61 plate) and at £10k less than an equivalent C Class it was a no brainer. I'm in Bedfordshire not too far from you and I see lots of gen 3 hatchbacks around here but few 4 dr. Service manager in Letchworth tells me that 75% of new 3's are hatchbacks. I can't understand the logic behind the popularity of the 5dr as the fastback 4 door is a) far better looking and b) has a far better boot without messing around with the seats. When you get yours you will see plenty of them, I'm sure. Don't worry about the absence of a rear camera as the rear parking sensors coupled to a good display make it very easy to park, probably the easiest I have ever found in 50 years of motoring. I expect that in 18 months time when my 0% finance deal expires with the 3 that I will be taking out another deal. Don't have too many sleep less nights but then I only had to wait from late January 2014 until March 1st as it was already in country.

Richard C
Sunbeam Talbot 90
Sunbeam Rapier
Hillman Avenger GT
MGBGT
Hillman Hunter
Triumph 2.5PI
Cavalier S Reg
Sierra A Reg
Sierra F Reg
Cavalier H Reg
Cavalier M Reg
Vectra P Reg
Subaru Impreza Turbo W Reg
Mercedes SLK 230 51 Reg
Mercedes C180K 07Reg
Mercedes C180K 59 Reg
Mercedes C180 CGI 61 Reg

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 11:47:07 PM »
Wow, that was a voluminous response! O0... had to wait till after work to reply >:D

not having torsion bar rear suspension also swayed me as well

Sorry dude, I don't even know what that means.  :-[ I like to push down on the pedal a bit but I guess the auto on my profile already gives away that I'm more enthusiast than afficionado.

Last car I had with a sun roof was a mk1 punto, and if you can't park with mirrors and rear parking sensors then you need to take your test again.. they are nice to have but...

Every car I've ever had has had a sunroof of one sort or another, but the industry just isn't offering them like they used to. I guess HVAC efficiency's the official line; but I suspect it's got more to do with warranties and British weather but in all my time I've never had a problem with any leakages. Re the rear camera, I've not owned a car with one (nor do I feel the need to do my test again :P) but having hired cars with them it really was high up on my tick list this time around; and the rear visibility of the gen 3 hatch, sorry, just isn't great. My dealer can do an official Mazda accessory fit (even if it's nowhere near as well integrated as the factory fit in the US) but we've agreed to give the parking sensors alone a go for a month or two and see how we go.

Nonetheless as you say they had a good impression on me too & I'm really looking forward to that little bit of MX5 stardust that's been sprinkled around  O0

You'll see many members here who are on their 2nd or even 3rd Mazda 3.  The car is one of those "hidden in plain sight"gems. 

I'll be honest, this forum amongst others - and a lot of press and YouTube reviews were included in our research, and the evident loyalty did factor heavily in pushing me over the edge...

True, many, many years ago, Mazda had a bad name as a brand that suffered badly with rusting... 

Many, many years ago my first car was a 14 year old mini; and there was a fairly large hole a-la Flintstones under the passenger foot mat. ;D And they're not Fiat... never were ;) Things have improved industry wide and Mazda's definitely producing better cars than it used to; style, performance, reliability no argument!

Yes, as with any make of car there are some rogue examples that let people down.
:o ... ofc, not mine though...  >:(

But generally once you have owned a Mazda, perhaps even more specifically a Mazda 3 you tend to exhibit this loyalty effect.

One more convert in the [big impatient child 37 sleeps 'til Christmas] making

Had my 2.0 sport Nav Auto Fastback since March 1st 2014, my first Mazda. It is superb...

Ok stop rubbing it in :P. Mine's just gone past Banda Aceh, it's getting here... slowly. Half way round the world at a steady ~25mph. WTF - put your foot down Capt!?!

...or maybe not. I'll wait!

I can't understand the logic behind the popularity of the 5dr as the fastback 4 door is a) far better looking and b) has a far better boot without messing around with the seats.
a. Subjective... but I do have to agree but...
b. how much shopping do you do that you need more space in the boot day to day? For me it's the ability to (brace for abuse) drop the seats and throw a couple of full size bikes in the back from time to time, to ferry the lawnmower to it's yearly service, or God forbid the inevitable to the roof Ikea trip that has seen me in a hatch every car since the mini (which was definitely taking things to the other extreme I know!)

Don't have too many sleep less nights but then I only had to wait from late January 2014 until March 1st as it was already in country.

OMG! 4 weeks to get from one side of the country to the other!!! Mine's due in Zeebrugge on the 17th (though the carrier's already a couple of days behind schedule) and I'm expecting it in my hands by the release of the 65 plate on the 1st September. Another 4 weeks beyond the 17th + English Channel and I'll have shot someone.  >:( Watch this space.  :o

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 12:36:15 AM »
Wow, that was a voluminous response! O0... had to wait till after work to reply >:D

not having torsion bar rear suspension also swayed me as well

Sorry dude, I don't even know what that means.  :-[ I like to push down on the pedal a bit but I guess the auto on my profile already gives away that I'm more enthusiast than afficionado.

Layman's terms in a Honda a one back wheel hits a bump both bounce, in a Mazda 3 only the wheel that hits the bump feels it as they are independent of each other. Good for ride quality and handling.

Last car I had with a sun roof was a mk1 punto, and if you can't park with mirrors and rear parking sensors then you need to take your test again.. they are nice to have but...

Every car I've ever had has had a sunroof of one sort or another, but the industry just isn't offering them like they used to. I guess HVAC efficiency's the official line; but I suspect it's got more to do with warranties and British weather but in all my time I've never had a problem with any leakages. Re the rear camera, I've not owned a car with one (nor do I feel the need to do my test again :P) but having hired cars with them it really was high up on my tick list this time around; and the rear visibility of the gen 3 hatch, sorry, just isn't great. My dealer can do an official Mazda accessory fit (even if it's nowhere near as well integrated as the factory fit in the US) but we've agreed to give the parking sensors alone a go for a month or two and see how we go.

Nonetheless as you say they had a good impression on me too & I'm really looking forward to that little bit of MX5 stardust that's been sprinkled around  O0

I worried about parking mine (I came from a car .75m shorter) but big mirrors and parking sensors have seen me right, the hatches are more or less straight down at the rear so unless the gen 3 styling kills the visibility it should be fine.

It's little bit of a shame you have the auto as you will be missing out on my favourite mx 5 reference, the flick of the wrist gear box and stubby little lever.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:21:44 AM by Willpower »

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
It's little bit of a shame you have the auto as you will be missing out on my favourite mx 5 reference, the flick of the wrist gear box and stubby little lever.[/b]

What can I say, I like a bit of fun behind the wheel but I'm lazy. ;D

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 01:25:57 AM »
Still haven't seen a Gen 3; today on way in and back from work I saw two 15 plate Sciroccos and several Civics, at least one a 14 plate. To be fair I did see 1 Gen 1 and 2 Gen 2's, but still waiting on the elusive 3rd.

Haven't heard from the carrier in 2.5 days now; I'm guessing it's probably passed by Sri Lanka already; but never came within range of the coast so no update. Next up running the Gulf of Aden gauntlet between Somalia and Yemen. Nice stable neighbours...

Have been doing a bit of research on the onward schedule from Zeebrugge. Can anyone confirm they ship in via Southampton on UECC? Unless the Capn makes up the couple of days he's behind schedule I'll miss the first possible connection after the scheduled arrival on the 17th, and the next isn't until the 24th which leaves me doubting the promised 1st Sept delivery.   :-[

@RichardC I've read several places now about the 4 week shipping lead for moving stock from the holding area in ZeeBrugge to UK dealerships. I'm really pondering now if 34 sleeps is all it's going to take... Damnit.

Meanwhile I've been researching the Autoglym detailing the dealer's been trying to upsell. I'm happy spending the money's worth it, seems like Japanese paint jobs don't get the best press, but what have your experiences been with dealer detailing? Would you recommend going independent, or a product alternative to the Autoglym Lifeshine?

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 12:36:22 AM »
Happily we've picked up the Progress Ace again after a long absence across the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea and down the Gulf of Aden. Captain Philips watched last weekend just to empathise with the crew  :o

Still haven't seen a Gen 3 3, 29 sleeps to go...  O0

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
Still seeing them regularly, and hoping against hope that I'll get one as a courtesy car when my is in for it's fourth year service tomorrow.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »
............hoping against hope that I'll get one as a courtesy car when my is in for it's fourth year service tomorrow.

Good luck with that ....... 
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
............hoping against hope that I'll get one as a courtesy car when my is in for it's fourth year service tomorrow.

Good luck with that ....... 

Yeah...I got a Mitsubishi Mirage last time. TBH I'll be happy with anything other that again

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
Dunno about the courtesy car but good luck with the service. Presumably you're tied in with an MOT too?

Went out for dinner tonight and on the way back, a little worse for wear having polished off almost a whole bottle of red - my wife was driving - we thought we'd found a winner - a white 64 3 right in front of us. It was raining, and my blades are overdue for a change (but going in with the part exchange so won't be) but turned out to be a Corsa when we got close enough to see. Perhaps she shouldn't have been driving  :-[ :-\

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »
Yep service and mot no 3 for a courtesy car though.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »