Author Topic: Reversing camera 2014 3  (Read 9281 times)

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
  • I don't need to update my signature strip!!!
    • Jinba Ittai
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
Reversing camera 2014 3
« on: June 19, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »
I've just ordered a Sport Nav 2.0 Auto: really annoyed that options are non existent in the UK - buying in the States I could get a tilt and slide sunroof and integrated reversing camera factory fitted. Only for my wife loving the 3 so much I'd probably have gone for a Scirocco or Civic. No way I'd aftermarket fit a tilt and slide but having looked around the forum I can't see any really complaining about the lack of reversing camera. Just wondering what your experience with the poor rear visibility is? Are the sensors alone enough? Tbh my old car had neither sensors nor camera; but having had them both in hire cars from time to time I really wanted when I bought again.

There's no shortage of videos online showing how to do an aftermarket fit; and they include a line overlay but they don't seem to be steering integrated like the factory fitted would be. My dealer's offered to fit an "official Mazda camera as an accessory but they said it does not have the parking lines as it is a software that isn’t available with an accessories fit, the parking lines are only available with a factory fit option which in the UK as you know is not a option on the Mazda 3 unfortunately."

Has anybody had an aftermarket fitted on a 2014/5 (I know there's a thread for the Mk2), official Mazda or not?

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Re: Reversing camera 2014 3
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:28:03 AM »
2.2 Spot Nave Fastback - no real problems with the rear visibility, though I find the side view is restricted by the door pillars when overtaking or pulling out of a junction.

There are a couple of threads on Mazda3Revelution re self install of rear camera, I think the lines come from the camera and are not to do with the car software. Not seen a rear cam integrated to the steering though. There is a small reversing cam available through Amazon for £12.99 which looks like it could do the job.

While I would like to perform the camera install myself, at present I’m having so many MZD-Connect and i-stop issues that I’m not doing anything until Mazda get these addressed (car back in for 2-3 days end of this month). They would probably turn around and state that the issues are due to a non authorised cam install or some other rubbish.

I’d like to do the self folding and un-folding wing mirror mod when the car is locked or unlocked as well, which I believe may just be the install of a relay, but I’m still researching that one.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
Yeah, I didn't like the size of the A frame but moving from a Civic it didn't matter what car I looked at nothing was as good - so a price I would just have to pay unless I went Civic again.

I hear (and am a little nervous about) what you say about the Mzd/iStop issues - hence my preference too to go with at least a dealer accessory fit but was disappointed with the comments about the missing lines and steering integration. I can't see a non-Mazda camera being able to handle steering integration if an official Mazda one can't; was hoping for confirmation/refutal from someone who's had it done official or not.

Self folding mirrors tbh I didn't even think to check on any car I tried, I presumed that was normal on all electric folders and I'm on order now so too late. Would be keen to hear your findings if you work it all out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:31:37 PM by 9swampy »

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:50:15 PM »

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:07:13 PM »
I’ve been watching the reversing camera thread on one of the other Mazda forums, so I decided to fit one on my Sport Nav.
Genuine accessory is £248’ish.

I sourced the parts, new blanking plate, camera, connector and a voltage converter, all in parts cost around £17, invested a little time, all working!  ;D

Anybody else fitted a non-Mazda accessory to theirs?

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »
Nope, but after driving without for a month and having been helped by another on this site with a video of their's working I've chosen to go down the official Mazda accessory fit. Getting it fitted in a couple of weeks time - odds of £300 fitted incl VAT.

Impressive that you got the parts for as little and got it fitted so easily. How does it integrate with the car going in to reverse; does it come on automatically, display on the stock infotainment, include a box and front/rear parking sensor overlay?

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:19:02 AM »
Q. How does it integrate with the car going in to reverse?
A. On the fastback there is a small socket on the boot lid under the trim cover, for power output and camera input; the power output on the socket is enabled when reverse is selected. The power converter is required as the socket only supplies approx. 5.1v and the camera (I purchased) requires 12v

Q. Does it come on automatically
A. Yes

Q. Display on the stock infotainment?
A. Yes

Q. includes a box and front/rear parking sensor overlay?
A. Do you mean on the infotainment display? Then yes

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
Q. How does it integrate with the car going in to reverse?
A. On the fastback there is a small socket on the boot lid under the trim cover, for power output and camera input; the power output on the socket is enabled when reverse is selected. The power converter is required as the socket only supplies approx. 5.1v and the camera (I purchased) requires 12v

Sheesh, if they ran the cabling all the way already then it's all the more incredible that they cheaped out and didn't stick the camera on at the factory. I was anticipating a whole load of trim removal all the way down the body to feed wires back to the infotainment.

Q. Does it come on automatically
A. Yes

Q. Display on the stock infotainment?
A. Yes
Sort of follows on from point 1.

Q. includes a box and front/rear parking sensor overlay?
A. Do you mean on the infotainment display? Then yes

This has been the sticking point for me as the dealer couldn't commit to even the box and front/rear sensor overlay as they'd only done one fit and were confident there was just a straight image popping p on the screen. With proofs gleaned from others here talked them into committing to the level of integration I was prepared to pay for; so if it doesn't work as anticipated I've got leverage in writing.

Obviously pleased that it's worked out so well and easily fitted for you. It really would have been great if you'd done a photo-walkthrough of your fit... I might have saved myself a few hundred hard earned ones! Nvm...

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
I have install photos. If you can use a soldering iron and an electronics meter it’s quite easy. Once it's all put togther then it takes 10 minutes to fit, maximum.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 02:54:21 PM »
I have install photos. If you can use a soldering iron and an electronics meter it’s quite easy. Once it's all put togther then it takes 10 minutes to fit, maximum.

If you feel up to it, a walk through with pictures would be a fabulous resource for the forum and of tremendous help to other members.  I would suggest a new thread with an appropriate title and then it could be stickied.  :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline gknight9

• TS2 Class
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »
I'll see what I can put together over the following few days/week.

Offline 9swampy

• Sports Class
    • Jinba Ittai
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »
Nice job on the instructions you posted at http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=14010.msg111142#msg111142 I don't want to pollute the other post  >:D. Kudos for proving it's all possible so easily for so little cost!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »