Author Topic: Another passenger window issue  (Read 2737 times)

Offline myromeo

• S Class
Another passenger window issue
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
Hi, hope you can help!

I have a 2006 facelift mazda 3 TS 1.6d and recently the passenger window has stopped working.

Now this is not the reset thing mentioned.

I can not open the window from either drivers nor passenger side. I press either button and get no click in the door. It seems it's just not trying!

It began doing this when I had the battery disconnected for half an hour whilst fitting a tuning box. I have tried disconnecting the battery and cycling the power but have not resolved the issue.

Can anyone offer any advice?

I guess I need to see if the delay is getting power - where is the relay? I've checked the fuses as ok.

Thanks in advance

Mr

Offline manzi

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2004
Re: Another passenger window issue
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
Hi all,

i'm having this issue right now.

it seems no power is going to this switch. i have also checked all the fuses and they all check out fine. the switch does not even light up (the small dots on the switch).

on a side note, when you lock the passenger windows, did you know that it turns the little dotted lights off to signal it is locked.

any suggestions on issue please? i don't want to buy new units if it doesn't solve it.

thanks  O0

Offline manzi

• S Class
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 06:51:35 PM »
Fixed  8)

Not sure what has caused it but rather than disconnecting the battery, remove the switch panel from the door card, disconnect the window switch from harness and leave off for some time. Reconnect and see if the 4/3 dots light up.

Jobs a good un.

Offline davidbird

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 11:03:49 PM »
Ok, I was having the same problem, front passenger window just not working, either from the driver's side switch or it's own switch.  I think it must have started when I'd let the battery go completely flat after I'd left a light on, but all other 3 windows working as expected.

This morning I checked the fuses, all OK.

After reading Manzi's post about the lights going off as a signal the windows are locked, I've just tried that.  Sure enough, the lights went off when I pressed the lock button.  No surprise there.

The surprise was when I unlocked and tried the passenger window and it worked!

It seems I've fixed the problem by either removing and reinserting the fuse or locking and unlocking the windows...
Heat is work and work's a curse
And all the heat in the universe
Has gotta cooool down, 'cause it can't increase
Then there'll be no more work and perfect peace

Really?
Yeah, that's entropy, man!

Offline dicky

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
I had this same issue and spent a while on the net before finding this solution. Everything else out there seemed to relate to the 'auto reset' problem - which this is not!

We have 3 Mazda 3's in the family (don't ask!) and one recently suffered a flat battery and the other 2 I replaced as a precaution (all the same age). The flat battery car was jump-started and has been holding a good charge so I did not replace that battery. On the other 2 I replaced both batteries because they were not holding charge well - very sluggish starting. When I changed these batteries I used a 'computer memory saver' to preserve power to keep the radio presets etc (we don't have the radio codes and I don't know how to get them).

In all 3 cars, the passenger window failed to operate - exactly as describe both in the OP. I'm not sure why in the case of the 2 replaced batteries because I maintained 12v on the radio etc and they were fine. In all 3 cars, power was never completely removed - maybe the computer saver voltage wasn't stiff enough?

My fix was simply to depress (engage) the window lockout switch; turn on the ignition; wait a few seconds; ignition off; disengage the window lockout switch; go to passenger door switch - hey presto the window operates. Then I carried out the auto window initialisation procedure.

Thanks for giving me the steer - I hope other people find this before going down the dealer route........

Offline Engineer Andy

• Takara Class
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast!
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
I had the same issue as the OP, but told my local dealer when I was having it serviced.  They reset the system for free.  Often pays to be a long-standing customer - they also refitted one tyre 6 years ago (again, FOC) that wouldn't keep pressure because the fitter down the road didn't put enough sealant in it when fitting it.  Job done.

I'm not sure whether my dealer just reset the system via the ECU or did what manzi suggested - I didn't ask, but whatever they did, it worked, and still does 6 years later.  Admitedly 99% of the time its only me in the car, but I occasionally have passengers or (more often, like in the current unseasonably hot weather) open all the windows to rapidly ventilate the car when I first get in (better than just using A/C).

No harm in asking the dealer if they'd do it for free - they must do if its a mk3 still in warranty or, if bought second hand from them, less than a year ago.  Even if not, I'd still ask them if you don't want to fiddle with the car yourself.  All they can say is yes or no.  Nothing really to lose.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:06:17 PM by Engineer Andy »

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »