Author Topic: A belated goodbye and maybe hello ..  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Stonyb

• TS Class
  • Mazda3 1.6d TS2 - regd Oct 06
A belated goodbye and maybe hello ..
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
Had a 56 plate Mazda 3 1.6tdi TS2 for 6years and 48K miles. It served me very well, and apart from normal servicing only needed one shock absorber at about 40K. Then decided to change  - wanted something with less road noise, and slightly smaller - finished up (last Sept) with a new Golf mk6.

Although the Golf is a quieter car it is a big let down on driving - the steering has a disconcerting lack of feel, and a sense of free play around the central position which seems to be a feature of the electro-mechanical system on current VWs.  Thought I would adjust to it but I haven't so am now looking at going back to a Mazda 3 again - not made the final decision yet  - for two reasons. Firstly the financial hit  on selling a car just 6 mths old and with not quite 2k on the clock - and secondly the current Mazda 3 controls/switchgear in the cabin are , for me, a step back from my previous previous (56 plate).  Added to which is the new 3 is 6 speed gearbox whereas the previous was 5 speed with a very good match of ratios and engine.

So although it's a belated goodbye to my first Mazda3, still undecided about now ditching the Golf and returning to Mazda.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:24:56 PM by Stonyb »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: A belated goodbye and maybe hello ..
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »
An interesting post of your comparative experiences. Welcome back to the forum.  Have you taken the Gen2 for a test drive yet ? 
If you did, in the light of your past history, it would be interesting to hear what you felt when comparing the three vehicles.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Stonyb

• TS Class
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
Willpower: - yes I have test driven the current 3, albeit one with 16" wheels.  

Engine/gearbox - don't think I will ever see that there is a good reason, from a driver point of view, for needing a 6 speed box. On the current Mazda it’s certainly been an unnecessary change, and with 1st gear very low.  So much prefer the previous 3, as well as the Golf which is 5 speed and a slick box.  As for the engines themselves - the Golf is quite 'sweet' and revs more like a petrol, but does require more use of the gears as it doesn't have the power/torque and flexibility of earlier Mazda.  As for the current Mazda from my very limited tests it seems to have plenty of torque but the delivery seems ‘lumpy’ – very aware of the turbo kicking in. especially in lower gears– not a smooth experience.  

Overall balance of engine/gearbox – prefer earlier Mazda.

Steering feel/feedback is better than the Golf - lighter than my earlier Mazda - and I could live with it.  Given that my test drives have been on 16” wheels with 205/55 tyres not quite sure if, or how, that will change with standard 17”and 205/50 tyres

Driving position : - Golf much better for me.

Cabin noise - quieter than previous but noisier than Golf.

Switchgear/cabin controls - obviously different to the Golf, and maybe slightly better, but given a choice would much prefer the previous Mazda layout as being better laid out and much more intuitive to use.

Obviously all the above re the current Mazda based on only a couple of test.drives. So still not sure what I will decide to do.

Also - slightly concerned that the mazda bodywork is not galvanised, whereas the Golf is.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:59:16 PM by Stonyb »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »
Very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to do that.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Stonyb

• TS Class
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
For better or for worse - signed on the dotted line this afternoon for a 1.6d Venture.

Collect next Friday 22 Mar, so will spend the next week agonising about just how stupid I have been, and then after that, coming to terms with the new animal.

Time will tell.....................

Offline makkmartono

• MPS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »
Good work mate, if you don;t mind me asking how much did they give u for the Golf?
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today

Offline Stonyb

• TS Class
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
Makkmartono: - don't think I can bear to tell you what I got, or rather didn't get for my Golf. It's something I want to put to the back of my mind. Having said that it's never a straightforward answer anyway, because it's also a question of how much they discount the price of the new car.

There was a deal on my Venture with suppposedly £3 k off - but who knows - the only thing that is for certain is the cash you have to fork out - and once done best forgotten - at least it will be on Friday when I stump up the cash and collect the car.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »