Author Topic: Dealing with insurer. Advice  (Read 4304 times)

Offline cross90

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Takara
  • Year: 2008
Dealing with insurer. Advice
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
So a couple of weeks ago someone went into the side of me. I was stationary in traffic at the time and they just kinda scraped up the side of my drivers door and front panel. Not at much speed but enough to leave a hefty scratch on the door and a large dent.

From the very start of the claim Churchhill seem to have taken the hump, I opted to take it to my chosen garage instead of there suggested repairer. Which seemingly they don't like very much at all.

1. The garage I chose is closer to home.
2. Its a main Mazda dealer instead of there generic body shop.

They sent an engineer out to my drive way to assess the car, he was canny enough and I was talking to him about what happened etc. Then when he was finished taking photos and taking notes, he said it is fine that you want to take it to the main dealer..... however I am not prepared to authorize new panels.

My argument is Churchhill state we will get your vehicle back as it was prior to the crash. I didn't have beaten out panels full of bodge prior to the crash, and I don't really want them after the crash.

Do I have a leg to stand on here in order to argue against and have the repairs done in my opinion properly ?

Offline Wash

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
Re: Dealing with insurer. Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:37:13 PM »
I'm guessing Churchill are the insurers for the other driver and the other driver has admitted liability?

How bad is the damage to your car (probably best if you post some pics)? If it's only very light damage then it won't really make a huge difference if the repair the panels rather then replace them.

Offline cross90

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takara
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
No the other party is with Aviva however the engineer whom assessed my car was from Churchhill. The other driver admitted liability straight away, which I've got in writing from their insurer. So no question of whos fault.

I'll get some pics up.

Offline Wash

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
Hmm, how have you made the claim? Through your own insurance company or contacted the other insurance company directly? I imagine if you went through a accident claim management company (like Albany Assistance) then you'll be sure to have your car repaired to your expectations.

Offline gazzunka

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
Always contact your own insurance company. You should never have to even speak to theirs. They may try to contact you, like possibly providing you with a hire car on them. But if they start to discuss the crash in any way with you to extract info, give them your insurance contact telephone number. That's what you pay your insurance for, to deal with the paperwork. So when this happens they do the leg work and take care of the incident.

The fact they owned up straight away and its passed through their insurance so quickly is a big bonus, took me 7-8months. Still waiting to get my excess back and thats been 13 months.

I have never went down the route of going to my own garage. The fact its an actual main Mazda dealer will annoy the insurance company purely because they will charge through the teeth and claim as much as they can from the insurance.

If the car has been scratched then I don't see any reason to replace panels tbh. They will panel beat it out and respray. Make sure when you go to collect the car however that its daylight and they haven't just freshly washed it so its sitting wet (hides ****** paintjob, swirls or burn marks where the bodyshop has machined the work too soon after the final laquer) Check for overspray under th arches, under the bonnet or even in the car behind the doors etc. If your not fully satisfied tell them there and then before you drive it away.

Bad news now is that you will have to advise your insurance for 3 years from the crash on renewel of the incident and it will bump your premium up slightly.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »