Author Topic: Is Mazda loosing the plot?  (Read 5831 times)

Offline YoungTurk

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
Is Mazda loosing the plot?
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:36:50 AM »
Mazda car sales went down by 30% from 2010 to 2011 (re: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2012-01/2011-new-car-registrations-exceed-forecasts/) and down by 16% from 2011 to 2012 (re: http://www.smmt.co.uk/2013/01/2012-new-car-market-tops-two-million-units-hitting-four-year-high/) when almost everyone else is doing better. Now, I am not a marketing person but I fail to understand why this is the case. In my opinion, Mazda has recently been producing reliable, attractive, well kitted and very reasonably priced cars. Also in my opinion, Mazda cars, in general, are better cars than Ford's (the top seller) and Vauxhall's (one of the top sellers). So why is Mazda sales slipping back? I think this is worthy of discussion. I invite the forum members' suggestions on this topic...

Offline The Bun-yip

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2006
Re: Is Mazda loosing the plot?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
Hi all,

(The Bun-yip is posting this from 'Down Under'.)

I can offer no factual explanation for declining UK sales for Mazda.

Mazda are doing well in Australia claiming top spot with the Mazda3 for the last two years. OK the strong Australian Dollar will have helped but that does not explain everything. They are even selling quite a few CX5s even though no Dealer advertises the CX5 in any promotion whilst they advertise the rest of the range. The 'just hitting the streets' new Mazda6 has the Australian media practically wetting themselves with excitement. When did you last see a UK media frenzy around a Mazda car.

See: http://www.caradvice.com.au/206679/car-sales-2012-mazda3-retains-title-australias-popular-car/

Could it be something to do with Marketing image (or lack of it)... or is it the way Mazda and their Dealers treat customers in the UK?

I love my Mazda3 but have been put off by the way the company and UK dealers have treated me. If I ever replace it (with another Mazda3) I will try to avoid any contact with a Mazda Dealer.

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »
Very popular in the states as well. Just don't seem to have a very strong brand image over here. No idea why though
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline gazzunka

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
My opinion.

I believe its because vauxhall and fords are cheap and cheerful. Cheap to insure for young people, cheap road tax, good mpg across the range, cheap to fix or buy parts for, cheap to modify.

Mazda althogh very well kitted and I believe are superior build quality can be more expensive to run. Tax for example, when I tell people how much I pay for on my sport they say "how much!?!?" For example a Focus ST is around the same amount as the Mazda 3, 2.0ltr sport. That to me makes no sense. The new Fiesta mk7 tdci costs just £20 road tax!

Then parts, Mazda parts are crazy priced compared to when I was buying parts for my fiesta.

Then their is the front of whats "cool" to the young generation. Hatch backs are the in thing. Corsa do special editions and sell like hot cakes, fiestas, puntos etc its the first name you think of. Their is of course the Mazda 2, but is it the first car you think of? I agree with advertisement, Mazda aren't putting out as much as other manufacturers do in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I think the Mazda 3 is one of the "coolest" cars on the market, the main reason I went for one. But i also went for one because they are unusual to be classed in with younger drivers as "modding" car (I know now why as its quite hard to come across modifications unless you go DIY). Peoples views on me have went from a boy racer with the fiesta to a settled family man with the mazda. Although my driving style hasn't changed in the slightest. You pull up next to me at the lights wanting in, I ain't gonna be making it easy!  ;D

In America and Austrailia I think mazdas are more suited. Big engines across the range, good for long distance trips racking up the mileage. America especially are popular with the modding scene. Parts are falling off the shelves for them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:29:38 PM by gazzunka »

Offline richij101

• Sports Class
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »
I believe its because vauxhall and fords are cheap and cheerful. Cheap to insure for young people, cheap road tax, good mpg across the range, cheap to fix or buy parts for, cheap to modify.

Just with your reference to insurance am paying around £700 for a 1.6D TS 57 plate with 1 years no claims. Which it think is alright for a 21 year old. not to sure how much it is for a focus or something equal .
No point in doing half a job, it will only get you half way home.

Offline brianshel

• TS Class
  • Colour: Icy Blue Mica (33Y) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Takara
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
I reckon there's a big question mark over Mazdas and their suitability for the British climate, as evidenced on this forum and probably elsewhere. My 58 plate was 2.5 years old when I bought it, with only 7500 miles on the clock. I was shocked at the amount of superficial surface rust on its underside. I wish I had examined the underside before I bought it. However I spent several uncomfortable hours underneath appplying Waxoyl underseal and injecting the sills, doors, and box sections as best I could. I reckon it'll be OK now, but it shouldn't be necessary on such a newish vehicle.

It takes me back to the days around 1965-80 when it was commonplace to have a car undersealed and wax-injected as an aftermarket service (and extremely effective it was too!) My previous 323 (year 1999) was far better in this respect, but that was before the embrace of Ford. Perhaps that tells you everything you need to know.

If you want Japanese reliability without rust problems maybe you do better to buy a British built Japanese brand, but I cannot speak from experience. Quite likely next time I shan't buy a Mazda.

Offline wurzel

• Sports Class
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
I agree that Mazda generally make well-built, well specced value for money cars, but I think they have been a bit slow in product development.  The big manufacturers have all developed lots of niche models that cater for families and those wanting a 4x4 style car (I'm thinking Fusion/C-Max/S-Max/Meriva/Zafira/Juke/Qashqai etc. here) and Mazda had, until recently quite a traditional range in comparison 2,3,5,6 etc. The CX-5 is undoubtedly a good car, but its now in quite a crowded marketplace that has plenty of established names in it. 
Also, perhaps the SkyActiv technology has come a little late in the day - BMW and VAG have been increasing efficiency and performance of their engines for some time now.
One final thing - I moved to an Octavia VRS from a 3 MPS a few months ago and really like the look of the new 6, but how come only 165ps from the 2.0l petrol?  Mine is 200ps and there are other cars in the VAG group running 265ps from a 2.0.
'E' Peugeot 309 1.3 in Beige (yeah baby), 'L' Silver Fiat Tipo 2.0ieGT, 1997 Red Ford Puma 1.7, 2001 Metallic Firedance Peugeot 206 GTi, 2007 True Red Mazda 3 MPS

Offline bigjohn

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
I love Mazada too then other model , so I'm sorry that Mazda loosing the plot .

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »