Author Topic: Brand/Make of Suspension and Brakes on 3 MPS Aero  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Splodge

• TS Class
  • Mazda 3 MPS Aero
Brand/Make of Suspension and Brakes on 3 MPS Aero
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
I am trying to find out a couple of things.  I am pretty sure that the suspension of my 3 MPS Aero is made by EIBACH SPRINGS (It is factory fitted and not modified).  Can someone please confirm or deny this and who are the brakes made by like brembo for example or are they Mazda's own design?????

Thanks

Offline Shifty

• Sports Class
  • Mazda 3MPS Cosmic Blue.
Re: Brand/Make of Suspension and Brakes on 3 MPS Aero
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »
Suspension is EIBACH and is factory fitted to AERO models.

Not sure about the breaks. Think they are Mazda's own.

Offline wurzel

• Sports Class
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »
I thought the brakes were from the Volvo S40?
'E' Peugeot 309 1.3 in Beige (yeah baby), 'L' Silver Fiat Tipo 2.0ieGT, 1997 Red Ford Puma 1.7, 2001 Metallic Firedance Peugeot 206 GTi, 2007 True Red Mazda 3 MPS

Offline Shifty

• Sports Class
  • Mazda 3MPS Cosmic Blue.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:21:28 PM »
I thought the brakes were from the Volvo S40?

No doubt they will be nicked from some other car. Don't think they are of a certain brand though.

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
Suspension question is on here somewhere else 'Search' Cough! I did a lot of looking on this including calling 2 dealers looking on evo site, whatcar etc!!!!!

The springs are definately Eibach and i believe the dampers are eibach as well but no one could confirm if the dampers were eibach!

The brakes are mazda own brakes as far as i am aware. Not branded such as Brembo but theya re still good brakes! Vented discs etc.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline mothy

• MPS Class
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
The brakes are nicked off the volvo, and apparently, could be cheaper to goto a volvo dealership to get em changed than the mazda one!! (cause they do more apparently)

Not sure if any truth in it, as not enquired any further.
07 MPS, Cosmic Blue, Aero Pack

Offline The Bayonne Express

• TS Class
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »
I looked at the brake discs for my more humble diesel, the Focus Mk. II has the same 5 bolt pattern and every dimension for the brake disc is the same ..... except for the hole in the centre of the disc, which is smaller on the Focus. So, yes it's likely that the Volvo disc will fit, you just need to check out the dimensions on somewhere like the Brembo website. Also, if your car follows the same pattern as mine, then the brake calipers will also be from Uncle Henry too - If you'd got Brembo brake calipers then I'm sure that Mazda would be 'boasting' about them. Anyway thanks for the tip on Volvo, I'm just off to see if the lower powered S40's have the same brake discs as my car .....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:52:52 PM by The Bayonne Express »
04 Mazda 3 1.6 TS Diesel, Winning Blue

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:52:56 PM »
I looked at the brake discs for my more humble diesel, the Focus Mk. II has the same 5 bolt pattern and every dimension for the brake disc is the same ..... except for the hole in the centre of the disc, which is smaller on the Focus. So, yes it's likely that the Volvo disc will fit, you just need to check out the dimensions on somewhere like the Brembo website. Anyway thanks for the tip on Volvo, I'm just off to see if the lower powered S40's have the same brake discs as my car .....
I would expect ford parts to be cheaper than mazda ones. It would be good to know what bits were interchangeable.

Offline The Bayonne Express

• TS Class
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:27 PM »
As I've said the brake calipers on my car are clearly 'branded' as being from Uncle Henry, so I'm positive I can get the brake pads from a Ford dealer if I want to. In addition I've also got the PSA/Ford engine (whether people think that's a positive thing or not, I'm not sure !), so can go to the Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo or Mazda garage for spares for that. I'd hazard a guess that the hubs, suspension/track control arms etc will also be common, certainly on the more 'mundane' Mazda3's, and maybe even on those flyboys MPS's  ;). The brake discs though, um, I've done a bit more digging (using the Disc Brakes Australia and Brembo websites), and although I can't find a Volvo reference for the 320mm discs on the MPS, I have found one for the Ford 320mm discs and they have a 63.5mm centre hole diameter as do the 278mm and 300mm diameter discs on all the reference material I have found for the Ford and Volvo discs. Unfortunately, as I alluded to in a previous post, the Mazda brake discs on the 3 and the other Mazda cars 'of the same generation' have larger 72mm centre hole diameters. So going to Volvo or Ford for the brake discs seems to be a non starter, unless they are significantly cheaper, and someone has got a mate with a lathe, and who is prepared to take a minor risk on the disc possibly being out of balance after machining. Really though would you want to take the risk ? It's probably best just to bite the bullet and go to Mazda, actually you might get a pleasant surprise over the pricing. Anyway at least all this research has located a good (and cheap) source for the Disc Brakes Australia discs for my own car (in America) - a website in the UK wants an extortionate amount for them. I would like to go for some Tarox discs (having had good experience with these before) but they don't do them for the 3, so when the time (soon) comes that I need to replace the discs on my own car, I think I'll have to go with the Disc Brakes Australia discs. They look good and I trust the 'Mozzies' as they're quite keen on their motorsports so I don't doubt that they have quite a lot of companies that know a thing or two about these sorts of things, same goes for the Kiwis.
Oh, with the back brake discs there does seem to be some 'tolerances' between the various sizes quoted between the Mazda and Ford discs:

Mazda
264mm diameter    11mm thickness   41mm 'depth'     72mm central hole diameter   5 hole
279.5mm diameter  11mm thickness    41.5mm 'depth'  72mm central hole diameter   5 hole

Ford
265mm diameter    11mm thickness   41mm 'depth'     63.5mm central hole diameter   5 hole
280mm diameter  11mm thickness     40.8mm 'depth'  63.5mm central hole diameter   5 hole

But despite the 'tolerances' I imagine they are the same discs (maybe a bit of measuring error), but it's the same problem again - the central hole diameter

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:58:44 PM by The Bayonne Express »
04 Mazda 3 1.6 TS Diesel, Winning Blue

Offline Mort

• Takara Class
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »
You could try looking at EBC discs or ADL as well (they source from the same supplier in Japan as Mazda)
1.6 TD TS2 in Carbon Grey

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »