Author Topic: In-car camera as my reliable witness.  (Read 4950 times)

Offline MELennium

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
In-car camera as my reliable witness.
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »
I have just fitted a Blackvue 380g hd camera, the main reason for fitting it is as a witness if  I have a accident ,
Since there  has been a lot of those false crashes where two cars in front brake for no reason so that you end up  driving into the back of the car in front of you,which they know insurance companies always pay out, blaiming the driver that went into the back of them,which would be hard to prove otherwise also usually claiming whiplash injuries as well,which would mean my insurance going up.
It is fixed to the front windscreen so it can record when I am driving my car, it  records automatically in hd  720p at 30 fps so you can clearly see number plates etc. It records night driving quite good as well as normal daylight driving.
It has gps so it records my speed and my route that I have driven. It is not easy to see from the outside of the car as the colour of it is black so nobody really knows its fitted. Blackvue also sell the 400g hd camera which records at 1080p at 30 fps but the colour is silver which I thought would stand out more from the outside of the car.
 Sorry no videos as I don't know how to show on here but if you go to youtube and search Blackvue, you will find lots of videos.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:46:48 PM by MELennium »
Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Hatchback  Aluminium 2015
(65 reg)
use to own:
Mazda3 Sports Nav2.0 Soul Red 214 (63 reg)
Mazda 3 Venture Special Edition 1.6d Dolphin Grey  2012 (62 reg)
Mazda 3 Takuya Special Edition 1.6  Velocity Red 2010 (60 reg)
Mazda Katona Special Edition Galaxy Grey 2006
(56 reg)

Offline gazpot0111645

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2007
Re: In-car camera as my reliable witness.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Even if they did slam the brakes on in front of you you are still required to have sufficient braking distance between you. I had a car in front of me and they hit the brakes, it was an old lady. She admitted so but my insurance claimed fault on my behalf. After that being so young my insurance premiums were doubled and they were already high enough as it was. I did not get a say in the matter. This was direct line.
Carbon Grey 2007 (07) Mazda 3 2.0D Sport 5 Door hatchback.

Offline MELennium

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
I may not have explained as well as I should but if you had the in car camera when you had your accident, then you might of been able to prove she slammed her brakes on and it also records audio which may also have helped you. Again if it was a crash for cash then they will find it hard to prove otherwise with the evidence that you would have.

Here is a police description of how these fraudsters work:

What are the features of an induced collision?

•The criminals will use two cars to target their victim. These cars will get ahead of the vehicle in steady moving traffic, the first will then brake hard or make an unexpected manoeuvre, this will cause the second car to brake hard (often using the handbrake to avoid alerting the intended victim) and result in a collision.

• The first car will make off while the second, now damaged car will stop. The occupants of this second car will make a point of blaming the car that has made off and appear to sympathise with their victim - you.
• The criminals are most frequently from the Asian community - Afghan, Bangladesh or Pakistani. (Not exclusively but a common feature in London)
• There will often be at least three occupants in the car.• Driver details are often already written down and insurance and registration documents are carried in their car.
• The driver will speak English while the other occupants do not.

It should be noted that these features are a guide only and all elements may not be present at every induced collision. Extract from Operation Catcher press release from Metropolitan Police.

I just think it gives you peace of mind knowing you have a reliable witness in the car with you that you can show the police if and when required.

Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Hatchback  Aluminium 2015
(65 reg)
use to own:
Mazda3 Sports Nav2.0 Soul Red 214 (63 reg)
Mazda 3 Venture Special Edition 1.6d Dolphin Grey  2012 (62 reg)
Mazda 3 Takuya Special Edition 1.6  Velocity Red 2010 (60 reg)
Mazda Katona Special Edition Galaxy Grey 2006
(56 reg)

Offline daan

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »
I use my Galaxy S2 to record from my car.  You can get free apps that overlay GPS data onto the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BDOvWRrDk

Although, as far as I understand it, if you hit the car in front then it is your fault irrespective of what they did.

Offline inayellowshirt

• TS2 Class
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
you'd only have a chance of passing blame if your camera can show their brake lights didnt come on
Mazda 3 2.0 Sport 2010 in Indego Lights Mica

Offline FleX

• Sports Class
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »
Have to agree with the original post, if the vehicle in front slams the brakes on for no reason ie in a 70mph zone and you hit the back of them even though you have left plenty enough space then it "should" be the driver who braked for no reason.

I as many, have a good judgement on the cars and road around me. So if it's all clear in front of the car ahead of me and he/she slammed the anchors on and i hit them they won't just be crying whiplash! ;)

Seen this many of times on the road and experienced it, they're just idiots who waste the emergency services' time and cause more hassle than it's worth.

IMHO, whiplash claims and injuries in the car during an accident should have sweet f*** all to do with car insurance and should then be dealt with health insurance or the likes. At the end of the day i'm insuring the car not myself, if I were to injure myself i'd deal with my health insurance as i did the previous accident i had many moons ago.

S*** like this is why my premium has rose £300 in the past year and it really does get on my wick!

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »