Author Topic: 05 sport 'v' 04 Alfa Romeo 156 JTS  (Read 2086 times)

Offline maz24

• S Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
05 sport 'v' 04 Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
Ok guys I have now owned my 05 sport for 10 days now so I'm starting to draw pro's and cons against my previous Alfa Romeo 156 JTS on a 04 plate.
As you all may know the JTS 2 litre engine is as free revving as the twin spark so I'm not going to expect the mazda to live up to the low gear performance against the 156.Straight line speed I feel is a little better as the JTS was reported to have 165BHP but is well documented to have come out of the factory with up to 20% less. The handling is as good believe it or not and I feel as confident in the car. Time will tell though as I have a few trips over the Snake Pass within the next month. The equipment is better but without dual climate control which in my opinion is a waist of time. The automatic headlights and wipers are a new toy for me and the headlight washers,well,thats just a party peice.The comfort is better as my old 156 was a veloce' which was fitted with harder gt suspension so was sometimes uncomfortable in some sheffield areas(road conditions).The mazda has suprised me on this as I expected a crashy ride with the large 17inch wheels,the rear tyre noise that is reported here isn't an issue as the stereo drowns everything out. The economy, well after picking up the car and slotting £30 in the tank and a couple of days of hard driving (only a couple of days lol) I discounted that half tank and put another £30 in.Mightily impressed here as the 156 really struggled to get 90 miles out of £30 worth of tesco's finest (with very very frugle driving)The fuel economy and price of parts/servicing was the main factor for selling the alfa so I think that it all ends up good for the mazda.
As a young lad I had posters of Alfa's/Lambo's, ferrari's and masser's on my bedroom wall so I will always love the Italian marques but owning one is a love hate relationship and with the economy as it is,well reliability and economy is at the top of the list.
I'm now looking forward to owning and running the 3 but will look back with many loving memories of the Alfa and still may turn up to local alfa owners events and be a proud owner of a reliable japanese car
Wayne

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
Re: 05 sport 'v' 04 Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »
Thanks Wayne. A very interesting post and I'm glad that you are happy with your Mazda.

How does it compare on the insurance side of things ? and I guess that there might be just a tad more room for passengers and luggage. So what is your opinion in these areas ?
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline maz24

• S Class
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
Insurance side of things is a grey area as I'm 6 months into my policy with Adrian Flux. As I was a member of a alfa romeo owners club Adrian Flux discounted the staff and members but the apr for paying monthly is ridiculous, yes the  annual renewals always worked out really cheap compared to comparison websites but after the interest over the year the amount was just a little less. The 156 I owned was a group 17 and apparently the 3 sport 2 litre is group 8. After transfering the policy over to the 3 it was £9 cheaper but a £25 admin charge for a policy change. So as you can see I'm a little confused (dot com) and looking forward to a renewal quote from them. in november.
The boot space hmmm I haven't tried my golf clubs in their yet as I have an old habit of putting them on the back seat,(yep the 1 wood and utility irons in the bag wouldn't fit in the alfa).Plenty of room in the boot for a weekly shop for a family of 6 in both cars. Cannot comment on the back seat space as I never climb in their. lol
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:18:38 AM by maz24 »

Offline dazkel

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »
my my wayne...i didnt expect to see you on here my old alfa forum friend, but only yesterday have i took the same move as you and punted for a mazda 3 sport 06, shed a tear or 2 when traded the old alfa 156jts in but 1 day old and mightily impressed with the mazzy...nice to see you on here mate i will be touching base for any tips and ideas for the new car  :)

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »