Author Topic: 55 Plate Mazda 3 Sport  (Read 2906 times)

Offline reds1344

• S Class
55 Plate Mazda 3 Sport
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »
Hi, I have recently got my Mazda 3 sport! 2.0 :) (sold my Nissan 350Z to get a more sensible car...   ::) )

The car on paper overall is very good, but a few things im still struggling with, petrol consumption isnt that great, and being in Litres / 100 miles... thats just annoying and childish!

I have noticed there being quite a lot of road noise - almost as if there is a humming noise coming from the back wheels, the car has only done 22k miles! So dont know if this is something to worry about or not?

enjoying it as it is a big practical car, not too slow and easy to drive.

Is it normal to be running at 3.5k at 70mph too?

Thanks!

Offline Gavin

• Ultimate Class
Re: 55 Plate Mazda 3 Sport
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »
hi and welcome,

tyre hum i can relate to. i dont what tyres the sport comes with but my bridgestones really did hum. changed the to goodtears and road noise has been reduced and the hum gone, and theres loads on mpg on here, we rarley hit whats stated in the book and as for high revs when cruising i think mine runs quite high at cruising speeds. i remember thinking i need another gear all the time. but im used to it now.
Forge built And remapped. 422bhp 391lbfthttp

Offline reds1344

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
Thanks, I might look at getting some toyo proxes t1-r .. had them before and liked them a lot.

I have gone to put it in reverse a few times already when cruising at 70!! New gearbox soon? (6 gears in the zed...bad habit)

The used dealer i bought the car off gave a 3 month warranty but i cant imagine them covering bearings if it is them

Offline Gavin

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
ah, i thought you would have a six speed in a sport, yours will be worse then mine then as i have a six speed and feel like i need 7th every now and then. at work we have a new Citroen berlingo van with a 5 speed box and i always go for reverse in that as my transit has a six speed so people behind must get a shock when the reverse lights flash on for a split second,

I dont see why bearings wont be covered if you just picked it up and there gone they should of been done before the keys where handed over.
Forge built And remapped. 422bhp 391lbfthttp

Offline westburywonder

• S Class
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
Hi reds.  I can concur with Gavin re tyres, change them and the noise will reduce.  I changed to goodyears and the tyre noise has reduced immensely.

Definitely recommend that one.

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
  • MX5 MK1 AND MK3.5 NOT A MAZDA 3 BUT STILL A MAZDA!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
toyo proxys ive noticed make a massive diffrence on mazda 3's alot quieter than standard tyres.
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

NOW HAVE: 1. MX5 MK1 1.8 IN BRITISH RACING GREEN LOTS OF MODS
                 2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline makkmartono

• MPS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
I think Toyos are shockingly rubbish (especially if it rains)....I would buy Continental Conti Sport 5, they seem to be amazing tyres for the money you pay for them.
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today

Offline Anastie

• Takara Class
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
I have had an ongoing issue with what I thought was a failed wheel bearing. I had the car in for a service and Mazda found nothing wrong and they put it down to the V Pattern on the tread! I was sceptical but the noise was so bad I was considering getting rid!

I bit the bullet the other day and after a lot of research put a pair of Matador tyres on the front. WOW what a difference the car is substantially quieter now the only noise I hear is from the two rear tyres that I did not replace.. that will now be next month.

Go to Tyre Reviews and read the reviews on Matador  superb!

Offline makkmartono

• MPS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »
To be honest I think almost every tyre is better than the factory Toyos what a let down.
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »