Author Topic: '09 Mazda 3 Sport - Arrived  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Tim1979

• S Class
'09 Mazda 3 Sport - Arrived
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
Morning all,

Quick note that I'm now the proud owner and keeper of an '09 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 petrol (Last facelift Gen 1) with all the trimmings.  As promised a bit of a review after now travelling for 200miles in the car (1st half was motorway, 2nd half around town and on back roads.

I have to say my partner and I are extremely impressed having stepped from a Mini Cooper S to this car, and all the promises from this forum when I first starting looking at Mazda 3's seem to have come true.  Ride quality, build quality, comfort, specification, handling, fuel consumption and insurance etc (not to mention parts/tyres should be cheaper!) are all far better than the Mini I have to say.   Front seats in particular for me after a 100mile trip are VERY comfortable (And I'm comparing to similar Mini trips, as well as 3series BMW sports seats, also done 500miles in a weekend in a Golf and a Mondeo on separate trips).

My biggest worry was how it would feel day to day going from the Cooper S to Mazda in terms of performance.  I needn't have worried.  From 0-30, 30-60, 40-70 braking and handling, the Mazda 3 is just as good if not better and that 2.0 petrol certainly has some legs with the way its geared particularly in the 20-60 range.  The ONLY thing I would say (And perhaps this is due to the gearing?) is that when in 6th gear sitting on say 65-70mph slowing down on the motorway, if I then put my foot down to get back up to 75-80mph, doing the same in 6th gear in the Mini would still push your head back on the seat.  The Mazda is more of a torquey surge rather than bhp thump back.  I'm sure I'll get used to this, as it seems to be the only weakness when comparing the too, a good trade off given the MPG around town is about 5mpg better in the Mazda, lower insurance and tax etc.

Only other thing I'll mention (Which I'll post separately in the relevant section) is that the Bose sound system wasn't what I was expecting given the brand name.  I'm comparing this to my £100 after market 100w 4 channel Blaupunkt sound system in the Mini and have to say that using the Chili pack upgraded factory speakers in the Mini with this system, the bass,treble and crisp sound quality isn't as good with the Bose.  I had a play with a Bose system in an Audi A3 and my friend has a Maserati with Bose, both of which sound light years ahead of the Mazda...... Is there something wrong with it you think?

Overall - Extremely happy new customer to Mazda, I rave about it to whoever will listen and everyone is impressed with it so far.

Offline Rog2012

• Takara Class
Re: '09 Mazda 3 Sport - Arrived
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
I love the sound of the Bose but then again all i had was vx manufacturers stereo in the vectra i had previously and after having it just over 2 weeks it still makes me smile every time i set foot in it to drive, i have never in my life had a car that makes people turn and look at it :) im not too sure about the mpg thus far but then again i stepped down from a 2 ltr diesel which tbh wasnt doing me any favours as im mostly a town driver so hardly ever on a motorway which to me a diesel is built for. In the long run ill save, 3k less at least for the same car in diesel, wont have to change fuel filters every service etc and theres alot of petrol in 3k.  I love the car!
Love my Mazda even though she is thirsty :)

Offline Tim1979

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
I've spent a bit of time reading through the dozens of threads and thread responses on the 1st Gen Mazda 3 Bose system and I think I understand why there is a difference.  Basically sounds like the Base/Treble/Fade settings along with the "level" in the 1st Gen Bose all need tweaking around depending on the music.  Perhaps my music has quite alot of bass which from feedback I've read doesn't seem to kick in until higher up the volume, plus there seems to be general consensus there is no mid range so you get ear piercing treble, average bass and nothing in between.  I've tweaked the fading so I can get decent bass without making my ears bleed in the front.

I've also realised (Perhaps never had such a good system before) that when I put a brand new professionally recorded CD or a good quality downloaded itune track, the sound is dramatically better than when I rip CD's onto a blank one from older CD's, apparently the Bose is picking up on the rubbish recording quality.

Rog - Apparently the Gen 2 Bose system is set up completely different so not comparable.

I'm getting 28mpg after 200miles with 70% city/ 30% motorway (According to computer) but once I fill up I'll report on the brim to brim challenge currently posted on another thread with the "accurate" results.  Very happy with this, the Cooper S got 17-19mpg city/23-25mpg mixed/39mpg motorway so provided the Mazda can achieve close to 40mpg with 80% motorway, I can't ask for more with a 2.0 petrol. After the stories I've heard on Ford Focus and Mazda3 2.0d forums, plus a friend who's recently had no end of troubles with a 320d BMW, I was steering well away from diesel for the reasons you mentioned as I only do 6,000 miles a year.

Offline Rog2012

• Takara Class
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
Well tbh with the prices we pay now at the pumps regardless of slightly less mpg with the average ltr of petrol being 6p cheaper then i think we are winning, only just mind but we are winning :) Ive just learned to live with what i have at the moment although im still thinking that supermarket petrol states 95 ron on the pump but it cant be that as it runs through the tank, so steering well clear of that now.

Offline andyl

• Takara Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
Glad you are enjoying the experience.

I think the Mazda 3 has one of the best handling/ride combinations around. I have driven Mini's and the handling is very direct but spoiled by the hard ride ( must be getting old ). The 3 reminds me of my old Alfasuds of yester year with a supple ride and good chuckability.

I maintain that for a 2.0 petrol the MPG is more than satifactory. 33-35 average with up to 38/39 on a long run.

I don't get how Mini's are held in such high esteem especially with their resale values.

Offline Tim1979

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
Yes agreed - I'm glad my teeth fillings are no longer being put under stress since moving away from the Mini and having gathered up the receipts for money spent on my Mini in 3 years, its shocking (multiple £1,000's just to keep it on the road, no modifications). 

Also agree on resale values on this supposed premium brand called mini.  I have mine for sale at the moment below book price for the spec on 5 different usual car sales sites for 9 days..... NO nibbles whatsoever... :(.  I think the public are starting to catch on that as a super mini they are overpriced and below quality for that price.

I digress........this isn't a Mini bashing forum but I am over the moon with how much better my Mazda 3 is, which is a brand so many people don't think of.  I also had a quick ride in a friends new Mazda 2 sport and that also seems to be just as nice as an equivalent Polo, Corsa, Fiesta given sales of those cars seems much higher from stats I've seen.  I'm so confused why thats the case, if only Mazda could sit outside the VW, Audi and Ford dealers as potential buyers walked in offering test drives I'm sure they could increase sales dramatically.

They could do one of those JC Top gear comparison chart things like he did when comparing the Mondeo/Mazda6/Bmw318i showing tick boxes on what you get with Mazda that you don't with the others for the same price.

Offline Rog2012

• Takara Class
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »
If you are anything like me it wont be long until a new bottle of polish etc is ordered and used promptly :)

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »