Author Topic: HID Conversions ** New Regulations **  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
HID Conversions ** New Regulations **
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
There are several topics on the site discussing the whys and wherefores, good points bad points, and the whole legality of HID Conversion kits.
There are therefore too many places that this post could go and as this relates to everyone of them, I decided that it really needed a new thread.

This is a quote from another (Non Automotive) forum I frequent, which has been answered by a qualified MOT Inspector.
For those who already have a conversion kit, or for those considering one please read and don't fall foul come July.

Quote: New MOT regs from July, (I believe) will fail all non fitted as standard kit, new regs state HID's must have wash wipe and self levelling, controlled by sensors built into car, might be why they are now only £35.00 : Unquote

As an MOT tester i can tell you that the above post is correct, however dates are liable to change as VOSA sometimes struggle to word the reasons for rejection correctly and then get it LIVE on the system but it will become a fail if any part of the system such as wash or wipe is missing.
In my experience the conversion's are not always good, beam pattern can suffer and just give a splash of light that aims nowhere, there are also different Kelvin values to some of the bulbs available (as in white balance).

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Geordie

• TS2 Class
Re: HID Conversions ** New Regulations **
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
About time in my opinion! Sorry all of you that have them.

Offline gazzunka

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
Gotta agree. Its always been a bit of a grey patch fitting after market HID's. Are the legal, aren't they, onyl if your caught in an MOT etc etc.

After having them for a few months in my fiesta I realised how bad they were. AS soon as i fitted them I got the headlight realignment done. At first I loved them, could see for miles. But the beam pattern was WAY out even after aligning. I had a car on a dark country road flash his lights at me because he thought I had full beam on.

Was following a friend along the road then he flashed me to pull over and we switched cars so he could show me something. I looked in hi cars rear mirrors and couldn't see a bloody thing apart from a beaming white light. Decided then that they had to go as they look good but are bloody dangerous to other road users. Also the next day I was pulled by the police for a check and because I admitted to having them i got away with it, with a little banter put in too :)

Not worth the risk imo. Aftermarket kits should be kept for off road. You want HID's buy a car with them fitted, thats what I did!

Offline Baj MZ3

• Takara Class
  • aledh.co.uk
    • Aled H
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:08:31 AM »
I have these fitted in my car and no washer or auto self leveller and passed MOT last August no problem, I have never had anyone flash at me for them being to bright

Offline Baj MZ3

• Takara Class
  • aledh.co.uk
    • Aled H
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
MOT this morning and passed with HID conversion and no washers or auto levellers fitted, talking to tester he said it will only fail if the washers or levellers are fitted as well and faulty

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:40:05 PM »
Well you are fortunate to have a lenient MOT inspector.  I consider that this is a case of personal interpretation of the regulations.
For those of you with aftermarket HID's, I would still be concerned. 
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline Baj MZ3

• Takara Class
  • aledh.co.uk
    • Aled H
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
I do have to admit reading the mot tester hand book all it states about HID is -

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

HID lamps may be identified by:

. taking a few seconds to reach full intensity

. having a bluish tinge to the light

. having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp

. having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.

HID headlamps use high voltage and extra care should be taken when inspecting these items."

There is nothing to state that they have to be fitted it just states they may be fitted.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »