Author Topic: True driving roads in England....  (Read 25123 times)

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2006
True driving roads in England....
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »
Just got my 3 MPS aero and want to stretch its legs i.e. pan the arse out of it! i am driving to essex this weekend and know a few windy roads off junction 26 of M25 heading towards daggenham, anyway!

Wandered if anyone had any recomendations of good roads that are worth driving to to drive on....any sugestions?

O0
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline gongoozler

• Takara Class
Re: True driving roads in England....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »
 >:D
Hmmmmm, there's a B road East I love between Melton Mowbray and  the A1 in Lincolnshire, had sprouted camera signs last time, but saw no cameras....so it must be good!! Ditto Cleethorpes to Market Rasen....oh yes and (partly in Wales) the B road from Newtown to Knighton, must be in that direction though. I do like the A68 Otterburn to Carter Bar and on North towards Edinburgh, but beware speed traps and cameras (not that you would be exceeding the limit would you?)
Blimey don't travel up to any of these for me though....one man's road is another man's ####. Generally many roads I liked have been 'altered' and I now enjoy driving in France much more than in GB.
Oh well!
Winning Blue 04 Mazda Sport.

Offline MisterG

• MPS Class
  • Car-Less :(
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »
Evo triangle norrf wales  ;D
CWP MPS Gone :(

Offline daiking

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »
I like Cumbria but its a bit of a detour for you!

Offline wilko42

• MPS Class
  • Proud to be a Lincolnshire yellowbelly !!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
Hey Gongoozler

Cleethorpes to Market Rasen IS a good road, it passes the end of my street. Often ride it on my Honda to Willingham Woods for the motorbike meets as well.

Another one in Lincs is the road from Caistor to Horncastle, then onto Boston, past New York on the straight. You can get your foot down along there a bit.
2015 Sport Nav 2.2D 150PS.
Pearl white metallic.
Safety pack fitted.

Offline gongoozler

• Takara Class
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
 ;D
OMG ! Someone agrees with me !!!  Thanks Wilko!!
Winning Blue 04 Mazda Sport.

Offline nikko

• TS2 Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »
Hey Gongoozler

Cleethorpes to Market Rasen IS a good road, it passes the end of my street. Often ride it on my Honda to Willingham Woods for the motorbike meets as well.

Another one in Lincs is the road from Caistor to Horncastle, then onto Boston, past New York on the straight. You can get your foot down along there a bit.

seconded.....

Offline KyleAsh

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
Catch it at the right time, i.e. weather conditions, and time so there is little or no traffic, snake pass is an awesome road! had some fun up there, even in my corsa, have a picture somewhere of the brakes when i came to the end of it. They were rather warm, mate who was with me lit a cig off them haha, theres also another 1 Macclesfield way, B???? can't think off top of my head but somebody may be able to help or ill find out...
Cheers,
Kyle

Offline gazan

• S Class
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
Holmfirth to A628 is a cracking road.  Windy, down the side of a hill, see for miles.  They should sell tickets for this one lol

Offline Coulda

• Ultimate Class
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Heres what I do...and it works for every country. Look up on the internet where motorcyclists die the most...those are always the best roads to drive on. Thats a serious statement by the way.

Offline Stuno1

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Lexus isf
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
Heres what I do...and it works for every country. Look up on the internet where motorcyclists die the most...those are always the best roads to drive on. Thats a serious statement by the way.

Morbid but true mate.
Who needs 4 wheels when you have 2??? Bike it baby!!!!

Offline Samp!

• Super Ultimate Class
  • MX5 MK1 AND MK3.5 NOT A MAZDA 3 BUT STILL A MAZDA!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:28:07 AM »
one of the best where i am is a road that runs all the way from romford where i work to braintree where i like, its a load of little back roads linked up, it runs through chipping ongar etc, amazing road, really smooth, be warned though, some of the corneres are a lot tighter than they seem!
USED TO HAVE: MAZDA 3 1.6 SPORT NAV IN ALUMINUM WITH EIBACH SPRINGS AND CUSTOM CORKSPORT SRI INTAKE

NOW HAVE: 1. MX5 MK1 1.8 IN BRITISH RACING GREEN LOTS OF MODS
                 2. MAZDA MX5 SPORT BLACK IN WHITE NO 384 OF 500 EIBACH SPRINGS, K&N PANEL FILTER & LOTS OF LITTLE BITS

Offline neil2112

• TS Class
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »
Go West !!

I'll let you into a secret. Seems there's a wild and mystical land not far away....it's called Wales.

A4069 Llangadog-Brynaman : featured in 5th gear ,Top Gear (Clarkson in the Mercedes Black) and the sadly discontinued Performance Car magazine. I loved that mag and they've dumped it !!

A488 Knighton-Penybont : challenging bends and long high speed sections.

A4212 Bala-Trawnsfynydd : long sweeping bends,up and down like a rollercoaster,superb road surface.

B4391 Pencraig-Bala : if you think you're a talented driver then this road will knock you straight to the back of the class.

If you can survive the perilous ascent/descent at either end without falling into the abyss to your left,you're faced with an appalling road surface with adverse cambers,tight switchbacks and very sturdy cattle grid posts waiting to punish any mistakes....that's assuming you haven't hit any of the sheep wandering down the tarmac.

You can't overpower this road.....you need a brilliant chassis,ability to balance a car correctly....and lots of bottle.

It's the only road that I genuinely get nervous about attempting to give it some welly.
"You can be the captain and I will draw the chart,
Sailing into destiny...closer to the heart"

Offline clarky

• S Class
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:09:38 PM »
Neil2112

Hi

Sorry everyone else its in Wales Again!

Not done the 488 but did the 489 from Craven Arms to Newtown in the best conditions since owning the Car! warm and dry!!! then let rip from Newtown to Llandrindod Wells on the 483 I couldn`t believe how good the car handled! much better than my old Alfa 156 SW! watch out for the mobile speed camera near the A44 roundabout! nearly had me......

oh also found a new one the other day:-

Carmarthen - North on 485 - B4459 - B4336 - New By Pass - A486 Aberaeron, unfortunately I was driving my Mazda Bongo!

I will try and search out the road you mentioned near Bala

Andy

Offline neil2112

• TS Class
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »
Hi

I was off all of last week enjoying the wall to wall sunshine and went up Snowdon on Thursday. Hard work in the warm weather but well worth the effort for the clear view.

Had an unimpeded blast on the A4212 - it doesn't get better that piloting an MPS on a brilliant road thats clear of traffic and clear blue skies to boot.

Didn't enjoy paying £1.29 a litre for V-Power at Much Wenlock though !!  I know it's out in the sticks but that's 3p a litre more than Brum.
"You can be the captain and I will draw the chart,
Sailing into destiny...closer to the heart"

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »