Author Topic: Wheel arch linings  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Grangemouth

• TS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
Wheel arch linings
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:48:31 PM »
Does anyone know why the rear wheel arch linings appear to be made of much flimsier material than the front ones?

The front liners are of a robust, hard plastic similar to other cars I have had (not Mazdas), but the rear ones are a soft, floppy material with a sort of furry coating.  Could be described as similar to the rear parcel shelf, except not even as rigid as that!  I'm just surprised that it is good enough to withstand the impact it gets from water, grit and all the other muck that is thrown at it by the wheels.  Any thoughts out there?

Offline gongoozler

• Takara Class
Re: Wheel arch linings
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »
Yes mine too are er.... 'soft touch'! (aka poxy)....maybe, no probably, no....certainly (!) related to my forthcoming recall to have the rear arch body protection re-done.
Winning Blue 04 Mazda Sport.

Offline Benn

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:27:32 PM »
its the same stuff lorries have in their wheel arches, stops all the water being thrown up by the tyres going all over your car and the guy behind you. my 3's done 115k and the material is fine, no differnce from a 16k one i had a peek at in the dealers. :D
2.0L Sport Saloon, Winning blue, Leather

Backbox Delete, Painted Calipers, Subwoofers, Compressed Shifterbase Bushings, Advanced Timing Mod, X-Car link Ipod Interface, Blue Map lights.

Offline Grangemouth

• TS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »
its the same stuff lorries have in their wheel arches, stops all the water being thrown up by the tyres going all over your car and the guy behind you. my 3's done 115k and the material is fine, no differnce from a 16k one i had a peek at in the dealers. :D
Thanks Benn, that's very reassuring.  I've never seen this material before and this is my first Mazda, which I only bought about a month ago, so I'm still finding out things like this as I "explore" it!

Offline carlosnewry

• Sports Class
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »
they r pretty safe and wont cause any trouble. they are however a pain in the hole to take out and work around cause they get so mucky

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »