Author Topic: Paint quality  (Read 17091 times)

Offline carlosnewry

• Sports Class
Re: Paint quality
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »
water base paints have been round for number of years now, early on they were crap, but now they r good quality. that said they r diff from old solvent paint. it is thicker when its sprayed on, and when its chipped u will notice it more cause of this. the top coat of lacquer has changed to, but still solvent based. if someone says that the car has been painted in water base i wouldn worry about it to much, as long as its a good job, i wouldnt think its the cause of the chips. just keep back from the cars in front, and the road gritters, avoid them and the rubbish they drop out

Offline Grangemouth

• TS Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
To go right back to BJ's original post about how easily the paint chips on his car; I have been shocked at the rapid deterioration on my nearside cill, towards the front, and the bottom section of the front door above it.  Not so much chipping, but it just looks as if it had been sandblasted!  It seems to be caused by the road grit coming off the front wheel, judging by the direction and "shadowing" effect.  The car has only covered 5k miles and has been regularly and carefully washed. Has anyone else noticed the same effect?  I'm inclined to take it to a Mazda dealer as a claim under warranty (I bought it from an independent dealer).  :o

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »
To go right back to BJ's original post about how easily the paint chips on his car; I have been shocked at the rapid deterioration on my nearside cill, towards the front, and the bottom section of the front door above it.  Not so much chipping, but it just looks as if it had been sandblasted!  It seems to be caused by the road grit coming off the front wheel, judging by the direction and "shadowing" effect.  The car has only covered 5k miles and has been regularly and carefully washed. Has anyone else noticed the same effect?  I'm inclined to take it to a Mazda dealer as a claim under warranty (I bought it from an independent dealer).  :o

Even chips when I clean it and my keys tap the paint ( they hang on my belt ! )
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Offline metalmorgan

• Sports Class
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 09:56:05 AM »
Its Japanese paint for you.   It's too thin and too soft (thats what she said!  ;))
I'm back

Offline a15cro

• Super Ultimate Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: MPS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »

I personally would not wear keys while cleaning, I even take off my bracelet so it does not catch. ('bracelet' does that comment sound a bit girly lol)

I try to have the least contact with the car when cleaning, avoid pressure washer hose hitting ect.

I keep on top of my stone chips with my touch up paint. each clean too. I dont seem to get too many now.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:12:23 PM by Willpower »
2017 Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2 auto, Westfield SeiW Zetec st170 Blacktop & 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7 V8.

Offline BJ the exile

• Ultimate Class
  • Defender of the Red
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

I personally would not wear keys while cleaning, I even take off my bracelet so it does not catch. ('bracelet' does that comment sound a bit girly lol)

I try to have the least contact with the car when cleaning, avoid pressure washer hose hitting ect.

I keep on top of my stone chips with my touch up paint. each clean too. I dont seem to get too many now.

absolutely, trouble is I have a terrible memory   :( ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:13:11 PM by Willpower »
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Edith Sitwell

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »
Edits :   Just getting the quotes right guys  :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »