Author Topic: Dashcam filters?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
Dashcam filters?
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
I've been looking for a CPL filter for my dashcam to try and get rid of the inevitable reflections. Like most dashcams, mine isn't threaded for screw in filters so a push on mount would be ideal, but I haven't been able to find anything. Anybody got one?

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
Re: Dashcam filters?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:32:09 AM »
Ok. I'll answer my own question.
I ended up getting one off ebay for less than £3 - China, of course. There are quite a few available now, some with a tube or sleeve to fit the camera lens barrel. Search string 37mm CPL filter will get you a selection. 37mm will be a reasonable diameter match for a fair range of dash cams. How you attach it is up to you. I'd avoid glue, silicon etc as you could end up with problems due to solvents and you need to be able to remove the filter for cleaning. I've attached mine with a 10mm section of rubber tube, not unlike inner tube material. Barely noticeable and allows access to rotate the outer filter element to set the alignment properly. The improvement is well worth while, though not perfect and will depend on where on the windscreen you have your camera mounted. The Mazda dash throws a lot of reflections onto the windscreen so a bit of trial and error's the only way to reduce them to a minimum.

The one I'm using is

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37-mm-37mm-CPL-Circular-PL-Polarizing-Filter-for-DSLR-SLR-camera-Leica-Fuji/262670423224?epid=624182647&hash=item3d286094b8:g:z2wAAOSwEZdZ-GS-

Mazda 3 Forums UK

Re: Dashcam filters?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:32:09 AM »