Author Topic: New to Mazdas just got an 09 Sport with a story to it!  (Read 2165 times)

Offline pault

• S Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
New to Mazdas just got an 09 Sport with a story to it!
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
Morning all,

New to Mazdas and new to the forum, found it via a Google search when the electric windows stopped working!

I collected an 09 (old shape) 3 Sport a couple of days ago after seeing it online. Went to look at it all was good (or so it seemed!). It was cocooned in the the middle of their yard so didn't test drive it (yup, there in lies the problem), it started fine, sounded fine and looked well kept. Paid for it and arranged to collect it the following day. It looked great, decent length MOT and a bit of serv history. I already had it booked in for a service at my local garage as I like to make sure everything is good from the start of when I have cars. However, on the drive back from the dealers there was a knocking noise from the front ns. When I dropped it off the following day I asked my local garage to investigate it and sooooo glad I did! It turns out that the nsf suspension arm had been replaced following the previous Mot and whoever had fitted it has stripped all the threads on the ball joint and where the suspension arm joins the chassis. The bolts are all fitted but just turning freely. The worse bit though was the brake pad carrier has been welded to the wheel hub which is I think the most dangerous bit. There were other faults too, osf ball joint worn, both anti roll bar links worn, nsr shock no oil in it and finally osf back plate fouling disc!

Needless to say I got back onto the dealer I got it from and to be fair they've been really good so far. I told them about the issues and they said that as the car had come to them with a long mot they hadn't done any work on the car at all apart from clean it and put it on their yard. They recovered it yesterday and are going to sort it out as I do really like the car. So hopefully have it back soon!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:47:39 AM by pault »

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: New to Mazdas just got an 09 Sport with a story to it!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
Oh dear, not a very auspicious start!

Other than what is very obviously a suspension repair done extremely badly the rest of the stuff is kinda par for the course on modern I.e. potholed to bits roads. My 2011 had a new ball joint and anti roll bar link earlier in the month. Speed bumps and holes take a toll on the underside unfortunately.

Obviously the garage should not have supplied it in that condition though. Also such a collection of suspension faults on one car would suggest the previous owner didn't like to slow down for speed bumps or avoid potholes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:45:45 AM by StevenRB45 »

Offline pault

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
Agreed, not a great start.

The dealer has been good from the initial viewing. After doing more research on them I think this is one that slipped through the net. I did check them out on review sites before buying it from them and they have a good set of reviews. Lets see how it goes when I call them later today.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Super Ultimate Class
  • East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Body: Saloon
  • Colour: Winning Blue (27B) Metallic
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.  Hope everything gets sorted for you. :)

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.
2004 Winning Blue 2Ltr Sport Saloon.  Laser Blue Main beams.

Offline pault

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Thanks for the Welcome.

Just got off phone to dealer and it's going to their garage for all remedial work to be done and I should hopefully have it back after the bank holiday.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE L Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
I won't go into a long list of reasons why I would be demanding my money back and going elsewhere. If you're happy that they can sort it for you, that's your decision.

What you MUST do when you get it back is have it checked out by somebody who knows what they're doing. Either a garage you know and trust, or something like the AA inspection, assuming it still exists.

The long MOT so we didn't bother looking at it line is hogwash. Any garage worth its salt knows that the MOT is valid at the time of the test, and that's it. Shock absorbers don't tend to suddenly lose all their oil, nor do threads suddenly disappear. The garage has a responsibility to ensure that any car they are selling is roadworthy. This one clearly wasn't.

From the photograph, that looks like the nearside brake hub, so you need to be asking yourself what caused the damage to both the carrier and the suspension arm. Looks like it could have been badly repaired accident damage.

The weld in itself isn't a huge concern assuming it's been welded by somebody that knew what they were doing, but there's welders and there's others, and that weld isn't the prettiest I've ever seen!

Worth having a look at the MOT history here https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/vehicle-tax-mot-insurance

When they say all remedial work, have they given you a written list?

Good luck.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
I'd also be wanting the car MOT'd again at their expense at a garage of your choosing.

Offline pault

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 01:15:44 PM »
Thanks for your comments Moozmooz. I appreciate them and I can see where you're coming from about the garage that sold it and getting my money back. I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one and see what it's like when the repairs are done as per the list from my local garage.

Once they've done the work it will go to the local garage I use alot and have done for years. It was them that found the problems on it when I took it in to be serviced. They said at the time that there doesn't look like it was involved in an accident and I trust their opinion.

Good idea about re mot. I need to call them again Saturday morning to see what's happening with it.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:40:04 AM by pault »

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »
Did your garage venture any theory into what could have caused the damage to the brake caliper mounting lug?

Offline pault

• S Class
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
Did your garage venture any theory into what could have caused the damage to the brake caliper mounting lug?

No, they just said it shouldn't be driven and was a definite mot fail!

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »
"Check all braking system components for any inappropriate repair or modification." - so sayeth the MOT manual section 3.6, so your garage has clearly deemed the weld an inappropriate repair, which is comforting really. What's not so comforting is that it was passed by another garage.

The problem with any weld is that it might look perfect but be total crap and it might look crap but be perfectly solid. Without some form of NDT, you can't tell, and I've yet to see a garage equipped with any form of NDT.

Offline StevenRB45

• MPS Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
"Check all braking system components for any inappropriate repair or modification." - so sayeth the MOT manual section 3.6, so your garage has clearly deemed the weld an inappropriate repair, which is comforting really. What's not so comforting is that it was passed by another garage.

I think there is an extremely good chance in this case that the garage that passed it for the mot was the garage that did the work. If they did it they'll see it as appropriate.

Offline hanix

• TS Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:37:47 AM »
I am rather surprised at the amount of corrosion present, my wife's 02 Focus just has slight surface rust on these components.(Disc shield etc.) The weld is a real no no and I would definitely want to know how it failed in the first place.

Offline moozmooz

• Sports Class
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »
"I think there is an extremely good chance in this case that the garage that passed it for the mot was the garage that did the work. If they did it they'll see it as appropriate."

((Does quote not work with Edge?))

On the face of it, that would seem a fair assumption, but the weld doesn't look that fresh, so it may have passed more than once. The problem with the MOT manual is it's open to interpretation. My interpretation would be if you can't prove the weld safe, which the vast majority if not all garages won't be able to do, then it's inappropriate.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:35:29 AM by moozmooz »

Offline pault

• S Class
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
On the face of it, that would seem a fair assumption, but the weld doesn't look that fresh, so it may have passed more than once. The problem with the MOT manual is it's open to interpretation. My interpretation would be if you can't prove the weld safe, which the vast majority if not all garages won't be able to do, then it's inappropriate.

The local garage I go to I've been taking my cars/ vans there for the last 10 years and am more than happy to trust their opinion on something. I spoke to the supplying dealer yesterday and they were taking it to their garage which in his words "is defiantly not the one that did the mot!". Going to call them tomorrow for an update. Also waiting on a callback from the finance company I borrowed the cash off to see if there's a come back from their side should I need it.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »