Author Topic: Off to get my 6th service done, wish me luck...  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
  • I need to update my signature strip!!!
  • Body: Fastback
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model: Mazda 3
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2015
Off to get my 6th service done, wish me luck...
« on: August 06, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »
My first dealing with Hodgson Mazda, MetroCentre since Stoneacre took them over.

Stoneacre has rung me twice to remind me my service and MOT are due. When I booked they immediately started to upsell an 'engine flush'. I said I didn't want it, but they marked it down anyway!

I spoke to the garage yesterday and the cost will be 469.00 or 299.00 if I don't get the plugs done. Considering I've only done 1,259 miles since the last service I may hold off getting the plugs done. I have just had new front brake and pads fitted, at a non-dealership garage (who quoted 'premium' and they have fitted Mintex, not sure how I feel about that...)

I'll probably get the plugs done in the spring, which will cost a bit more as it'll have to be hooked up to the diagnostic machine by all accounts.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:26:20 AM by Ste7en »

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Off to get my 6th service done, wish me luck...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »
Good luck!

If it makes you feel anybetter mine at Gardners in Rowlands Gill ended up being 480...but that was gearbox oil, plugs, brake fluid, oil and filter, cabin filter and engine air filter + mot cost.

So about the same, though year 6 is not a gearbox oil year, year 10 was not meant to be a plugs year but they did them accidentally...and to be honest I was not going to argue they got my 4 year old plugs out the bin and refitted them.

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 10:20:09 AM »
Thanks! :)

It sounds very similar to our service yesterday. We had gearbox oil, brake fluid, oil and filter, cabin filter and engine air filter + mot, cost was 338.00.

They said the plugs were fine and didn't need changing yet.

They also said they had washed the car and vacuumed it. They hadn't done either :(

Advisories this year:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

engine covers and undertrays fitted

Advisories last year:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))
    Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))
    Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Corroded (1.1.11 (c))

Looks like they repaired themselves :)

Offline Ste7en

• TS2 Class
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 10:28:34 AM »
Oh, I got front pads and discs fitted a few weeks ago and we have barely touched the car since. Apparently, those are 20 percent worn already :)

Offline StevenRB45

• Ultimate Class
  • Suzuki and Fiat Refugee
  • Body: Hatchback
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.6L
  • Trim: TS2 Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
To be fair Gardners is not cheap, in general, skilled labour isn't cheap and cheap labour isn't skilled (or in the case of garages necessarily honest..cheap garages always seemed to find urgent additional work for some reason). The quote without plugs but with a gearbox change was about the same as what you paid so 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.

Which does beg the question as to why I'd have switched between the two. To which the answer is I don't necessarily think Stoneacre look at the car properly. Not so bad on a newer car but she's 10 years old these days.

For example current garage wheels come off at every service, brakes get dismantled, cleaned, adjusted greased and any wear lips on the brake discs skimmed off.

Even back in Hodgson days wheels only came off at a major service otherwise they bung a feeler gauge in to check brake thickness and that's it. Then there was a few other things as well where apparently they spotted things.. and took no remedial action you'd expect.

To be honest main thing was repair costs were prohibitive which as it gets older and things start to break is an issue. One drop link, 75 quid, current garage that gets a pair done. When the heater fan bearing failed the quote would have been in the region of 600-700 quid, it was done for 425.

Oh that and the constant sales patter.

Mazda 3 Forums UK

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »